Omnistep Green Mat - DIY Solution (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Having looked at the green mats you can buy for your step, I thought the fitment was poor and it didn't really 'fit' properly so embarked on making my own. For the total cost of £5 I bougt 10 studs and poppers and a length of green mat.

First I removed the step. Undo the 6 screws holding it in place
image.jpg

I then screwed the studs on the back edge and the first edge under the front of the step using SS screws
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I then cut the green mat to the correct size, fitted the poppers in the correct places (still need to fit the extra poppers)
image.jpg

Refit the step
image.jpg

image.jpg

Then press studded the green mat onto the step. Fits perfect and I've made an extra 2 so can swap them to wash etc. Fits far better than the ones you buy from Fiamma.
image.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We don't have an external step on our van but do have one of the plastic ones similar to Broken Link Removed.

I bought a plastic grass mat from Lidl (£2.99 I think) and cut it in half. One half is fastened to the step using tie wraps and the other half is in the garage for when it wears out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
To help reduce the slipperiness of ours I stuck on some self-adhesive anti-slip strips (looks like thin strips of 'sandpaper') which I picked up from a car boot sale ... our dogs can't stand the feel of the mock grass mats on their feet.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
To help reduce the slipperiness of ours I stuck on some self-adhesive anti-slip strips (looks like thin strips of 'sandpaper') which I picked up from a car boot sale ... our dogs can't stand the feel of the mock grass mats on their feet.

I've got the same anti slip strips on the entrance door (just see in the picture of the step) but it gets very muddy easy and then I have to brush it with a hard nail brush to clean it but good stuff. Also stuck them on the trailers loading ramps as sometimes when very wet and muddy the cars front wheels can slip a little when loading.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've got the same anti slip strips on the entrance door (just see in the picture of the step) but it gets very muddy easy and then I have to brush it with a hard nail brush to clean it but good stuff. Also stuck them on the trailers loading ramps as sometimes when very wet and muddy the cars front wheels can slip a little when loading.
I have done the same for the cab door steps and also on the rear bumper/step for our PVC too ... works a treat - you can see the anti-slip strips on this photo.

This also shows a 'brush bar' which I fixed to the front of the step housing to 'sweep' the step when it retracts and remove some of the dirt, the bar is simply a cut down door draught strip which is held in place with a couple of small metal brackets utilising existing bolts in the step housing :

step 3 - after.JPG

step 4 - after.JPG

This shows the 'brush bar' when the step is retracted:

step 2 -after.JPG

This is the step before I fitted the 'brush bar':

step 1 - before.JPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Hi dpsuk999,
I liked your step with the green mat fitted and I have been trying to get the poppers that you used but I have been unable to find them, can you tell me where I can get some. Thanks

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Hiya, I got mine from eBay, if you just type in 'awning poppers and studs' loads come up, but also you will need the 'awning stud closing tool'

Reactions: LAM

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
Thanks got the replies I"l have a look
Hope ours looks as good as yours.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Hi dpsuk999,
I liked your step with the green mat fitted and I have been trying to get the poppers that you used but I have been unable to find them, can you tell me where I can get some. Thanks
Aldi were doing a kit the other week, hole making punch and press studs then press stud tool.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back