Castleton , Hope Valley Weather update, site review (1 Viewer)

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
Hi,

Due to a change of plans, France has now been postponed for New Year, so we are now looking at alternatives and are considering the Peak District.

One that appeals to us is Castleton Caravan Club site, we would like to know if any of you Funsters are in the area for a weather update and also for site feedback if any others have stayed there.

Andy

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We've stayed there a few times, 2 weeks last January , nice site with plenty of walking nearby, good facilities and a drying room for wet kit, nice local dog friendly pubs. We will probably end up there again in 2015, also mid week discount after 5th Jan. Sorry no help with weather.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The site is great and the village is lovely. We stayed overnight in the summer just to break up a journey home and it's definitely on the list to go back to. I don't think I've ever seen a village with so many pubs.
The weather up there is what it is at this time of year. It will be cold.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Shame about France Andy. Don't know the site your talking about or the weather so can't comment, but good to see your getting out and about in your new van. (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Clear blue sky, lots of ice, bitterly cold, we are about 20 miles away.

Probably great if you are hardy walkers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Has anybody told the French???

Shame about France Andy. Don't know the site your talking about or the weather so can't comment, but good to see your getting out and about in your new van. (y)

Thank you for the reply's

Yes we are both gutted, the people we were going to visit are no longer going so that scuppers our plans somewhat!, never mind we have another 2 French trips planned for this next year.

It might also be a bit more sensible to get used to the van a little more local rather than embarking on another expedition:xdoh: , plus we used to frequent the area years ago thou I doubt much has changed:xThumb:, we have never been to the CC site there

Andy

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We're here at Castleton cc site. Been here an hour or so. Roads ok on way in (from Chesterfield) a few cars abandoned. Plenty of spaces on site apparently some have cancelled. See you later!!!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We were there in Dec - great walking direct from site, if the snow isn't too bad. (A couple of pics in my media if you are interested, overlooking the site) wardens are lovely, all hardstanding highly recommend:xThumb:

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Nice site, short walk into Castleton and good eating pubs - favourite of ours is The George.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Nice site, short walk into Castleton and good eating pubs - favourite of ours is The George.
We liked that too - did you try The Nags Head? Didn't realise till too late they accept dogs in the bar.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Cheers, we'll try it next time :xThumb:

The pick n mix sausage and mash looks interesting. Neither of us had it when we were there but I think it's going to be worth a go next time :xThumb:

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
The pick n mix sausage and mash looks interesting. Neither of us had it when we were there but I think it's going to be worth a go next time :xThumb:
That lit Les's eyes up....:xlaugh: What is it, different sausages with mash or different mash?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That lit Les's eyes up....:xlaugh: What is it, different sausages with mash or different mash?

1. Choose your sausages
2. Choose your mash
3. Choose your gravy

Have a look Broken Link Removed On the right hand side of the menu.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
1. Choose your sausages
2. Choose your mash
3. Choose your gravy

Have a look Broken Link Removed On the right hand side of the menu.
Cheers m'dear for this, worth a try as you say :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yes Debs, have had a breakfast there some time ago.
I only remember it from years ago when it was a posh (?) looking restaurant with the round tables and long white cloths and the tables were always set. We hadn't been to Castleton for a few years and I was surprised how 'weekend upmarket' the place has become, very well turned out folk in holiday cottages.
Didn't seem half as many muddy boots and dogs pubs as I remember - even the Bulls Head has had a major refurb.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Three years since we spent a week there. A fantastic time, lots of good walks and many good places to eat and drink. Extremely welcoming village, never failed to be offered a drink for the hound if we popped in somewhere for a coffee or whatever, on one occasion even offered a couple of sausages for the dog.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
No-one has mentioned that the highlight of that are is underground.

And/or high above it.
Not been in them since I was a kid and never could pluck up courage for Speedwell - the thought of floating over a bottomless pit in pitch black just gives me the willies:LOL:

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
We're here at Castleton cc site. Been here an hour or so. Roads ok on way in (from Chesterfield) a few cars abandoned. Plenty of spaces on site apparently some have cancelled. See you later!!!

We should be there just after lunch, also coming from Chesterfield direction:xThumb:

Andy

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Well we arrived here safely, plenty of traffic but road conditions were good,

saw load's of MH's and tuggers about so very popular around here, a few items have been added to our kit list including a longer water hose with tap adapters:xdoh:, just waiting for a couple of pizza's in the oven, our last van had a hob so this is a "big" novelty.

Andy

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
We were surprised how busy it is here . We've done a good walk today from site up over mam tor and the ridge and it was like a summer day up there!! Loads of folk. Just enjoyed the proper Italian Job and the Chrismas Lectures washed down with a couple of bottles of Trooper. ,!

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2001
Sounds like you had a great day, did you watch DVD's or can you get reception?, still trying to get my head round our tv!

Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back