Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Want to fit a 100w panel to the roof. I've read up on the technical stuff like controllers etc etc but cant seem to find anything on the actual practicalities.
Is it screwed to the roof? I mean straight through the skin into whatever is underneath.
Running the wire to the controller (do i drill a hole?etc etc.

I've seen a couple of vids on you tube but still not confident.
My main concern is causing leaks.

Any ideas where i can get the advice, instructions?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have never fitted one but I am pretty sure you glue the panel brackets to the roof using Sikaflex or something similiar.

The only hole you have is the power cable down to the controller and that is through a waterproof box.

But I am sure that soon someone who actually knows what they are talking about will be on line soon. :xgrin:

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Andy - Techno100 will be along at sometime. He produced an excellent document outlining what has to be done to fit a panel. Unfortunately I can't find it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
The above advice is correct. Fix the corner brackets by pop riveting on the corners of the solar panel, clean and roughen your roof where the brackets go then bond with Sikaflex adhesive. You will have to drill a hole for the cable gland in the roof usually in an overhead locker or cupboard and bond the cable gland to the roof in the same way as you fix the panel.

Put plenty of sikaflex on the panel brackets so that you get a good layer between the brackets and the roof.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Sikaflex is the key. Clean all contact areas, and take your time. Hiding the wires is the hardest part. The sequence of connecting up to the controller is important, read the instructions.
Its easy peasy really.
Phil

OP
OP
Patcherelli

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Thanks. What is the roof actually made of?
I have a vision of a wooden frame and some thin ply and some insulation somewhere in there.

English Springer

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H601
Exp
Since 2012
Patcherlli, I've been thinking of fitting a panel also but find that there so many to choose from. What brand have you gone for and does anyone recommend any others?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I too have been pondering the problems of water ingress after the fitting of solar panels to our MoHo, and after much research I've come to the conclusion that the safest place to alleviate the problem is to fit them under the van where the rain can't get to the fixings. :D

This post was by the ever helpful Badknee.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
What your roof is made of will depend on who manufactured your van! Our Pilote for example is a fiberglass composite roof others will be aluminium sandwich construction. Most are vacuum sandwich construction and are generally safe to walk on except for the overcab section if you have one. If in any doubt use a plank or some other sort of support to spread the load.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i fitted mine by screwing to the roof self tap screws not to long and then loads of sealant i would never trust sealant on its own i bolted the roof brackets to the panel then i used 20mm plastic conduit (round white) to run my cables i needed to go across the roof i also put on a round conduit box for access fron the roof for the cables and everything was thoroughly seals and never had any leaks

OP
OP
Patcherelli

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Not decided on a make yet. Thats next step.

Anyone?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have seen people sucessfully just use SikaFlex and nothing else. When I was fitting mine I prefer to over engineer everything. SikaFlex and loads of self tappers.
The hole was drilled then I used a pod like fitting with 2 cable entries. I don't like sticking 2 cables in one hole. I then used massive amounts of SikaFlex inside the fitting and around it.

3 x 80 watt solar panels on the van roof for a couple of years now and it is the only part of the van that doesn't leak :xrofl:

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
I just used Sikaflex to bond mine to the roof (no screws as in my opinion, that opens up water ingress possibilities). They are solid and have not given any problems whatsoever.

When you drill through for the cables, I found that the conical shaped hole cutters were better than a big drill bit. I also made sure that a protective layer of paint was put onto the bared metal and I used rubber grommets to protect the cable from chafing on the metal.

A set of electrician's fish rods were handy for getting the cable fed through on the inside and it may be prudent to triple check the cable entry points for any potential obstructions and existing cables to avoid before drilling.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
no one has mentioned its best to decide where the cables are to enter the van and arrange the panel to keep the cable run as short as possible some vans have an electrical system that has terminals especially for solar connections in that case you would try and enter close to that other wise your probably looking for the best route to go to where you intend the controller to be and an easy run from that to your batteries

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I too have been pondering the problems of water ingress after the fitting of solar panels to our MoHo, and after much research I've come to the conclusion that the safest place to alleviate the problem is to fit them under the van where the rain can't get to the fixings. :D
I was worried about water ingress too Badknee so I decided to put mine in the wardrobe so I don't have to drill any holes at all. :xrofl:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I thought you just nailed them to the roof.

Then again I have a Autotrail:xgrin:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I was worried about water ingress too Badknee so I decided to put mine in the wardrobe so I don't have to drill any holes at all. :xrofl:
Oh man, what a good idea. No crawling under the MoHo while you fix 'em on, brilliant!

OP
OP
Patcherelli

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Ah now the old grey cells are working. I could duct tape it over the battery under the sofa.
Save on cable too!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ah now the old grey cells are working. I could duct tape it over the battery under the sofa.
Save on cable too!
That's very true because they say you should have the shortest cable run possible don't they? Good idea.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I was thinking just one big nail through the middle.:xThumb:
Hmm, not sure one would be enough, what about a big nut and bolt with big washers, one in one out, 'bout four inches in diameter would be my guess.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Hmm, not sure one would be enough, what about a big nut and bolt with big washers, one in one out, 'bout four inches in diameter would be my guess.

Nah. one big nail and then down the pub:xThumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Tell you what, you do it and video it as an instructional.
I'd pay to watch that!

Pop your van down then.

How many panels do you want fitting?

Bring nails by the way.

Please note I only do the affixing bit - all connections etc would be down to you.:xThumb:

OP
OP
Patcherelli

Patcherelli

Free Member
Oct 26, 2014
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
Swift Sundance 630G
Pop your van down then.

How many panels do you want fitting?

Bring nails by the way.

Please note I only do the affixing bit - all connections etc would be down to you.:xThumb:

Thats fine. I'll bring some pins. We can nail the connections too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back