Fold away / folding car trailer (1 Viewer)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
:xdoh:Without getting into any discussion about A Frame or Trailer and what's legal and what's not ! :xeek:

The most common answer is, I have nowhere to store a trailer.
That might be at home, or could be when on site, and the next thing is cost. :xgrin:

Well walking round the site yesterday and there it was, a folding car trailer that is made of aluminium so it's light folded will be a meter wide so it could store in a garage with the car behind it, may even be able to go down the side of your house and into the back garden, it weighed less than our Smart trailer and was plated the same 1300 kg. :xThumb:

But as always it comes with a cost, £3000 :xdoh: but........ Legal no wear and tear on your car, and when you change the car no problem, they will fit a centre channel so it would take a trike or motorcycles, the choice is there if you want one. :xgrin:

http://www.hiqfabrications.co.uk/Trailers.php

Bob and Janie.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
It looks a nice bit of kit and well thought out.

But no mention of any type approval?

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It looks a nice bit of kit and well thought out.

But no mention of any type approval?

Broken Link Removed

Take that up with them Mike, :xwink: I don't want to get into a is it legal dispute. :xrofl:
The chap who had it said it was................. :xwink: but it's his son making them. :xeek::xrofl: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
I have been following the development of this trailer for a couple of years and ask the same question every time I see them, "is it approved yet?" and always get the same answer, "no". It's a pity really as it would solve a lot of problems for us.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Probably a great trailer but what an AWFUL video... I never actually reached the folding up bit.

I recommend they get some one to edit it!

JJ :cool:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Probably a great trailer but what an AWFUL video... I never actually reached the folding up bit.

I recommend they get some one to edit it!

JJ :cool:

That was what I said, very painful watching it, and not a good way to sell them. :xdoh: Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
As I understand it, from October 2012 all trailers under 3500kg made for retail must be approved and have certification to that effect. However, as yet I have not been able to determine whether a self build trailer would have to be.

Yes it would . It was in the regs I read some while ago. You can still build yourself ,using only approved homologated parts , & when complete it requires inspection etc; by VOSA , I f I recall correctly.

Here you go. Just has to comply .:)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-categories-01-02-03-and-04-trailers

Problem is , in the UK there is no register of trailers so as long as you can convince anyone that it existed before 28TH October 2012 then everyones's happy ! :sneaky::sneaky:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Yes it would . It was in the regs I read some while ago. You can still build yourself ,using only approved homologated parts , & when complete it requires inspection etc; by VOSA , I f I recall correctly.

Here you go. Just has to comply .:)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-categories-01-02-03-and-04-trailers

Problem is , in the UK there is no register of trailers so as long as you can convince anyone that it existed before 28TH October 2012 then everyones's happy ! :sneaky::sneaky:

I have read that document and it seems to me that it applies to manufacturers of trailers which are made specifically for sale.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I have read that document and it seems to me that it applies to manufacturers of trailers which are made specifically for sale.
to my knowledge that is all they are using to go by according to a couple of people on a car forum that enquired . They were directed to that publication & just told as long as thgey complied & just made up there own plate /numbers /etc; they'd have no problems with a self build.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Can ANYONE, give a Sensible reason WHY. trailers need to be Homologated? apart from the need for some Bureaucratic minion to play control freak?.

TOO MUCH, crappy Bureaucratic Poo about IMHO.

Pete

Autowbars

Free Member
Dec 1, 2012
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
Since 2010
A self build for own use does not need an IVA test, if a person or company is selling them, for profit or loss they need WVTA or IVA
And must comply with all EU regs.
We have been building and supplying trailers for 30 years, it has seriously cut down our range
Whole Vehicle Type Approval costs around £3000, lots of paperwork that Brussels will never read or even see.
Our mobility scooter trailers that are std have this, if the customer wants ANYTING altering it has to get Individual Type Approval, that has added £130 to the cost

John Doe next door can make his own no problem, but we cant

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I saw one on a pitch here at La Manga but at that price it's cheaper to book a bigger pitch.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Interesting thread, anymore info on smart folding trailers please.....

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
What caught my eye was the car. We have an 09 Copen (1300) and when I put it on our BJ trailer nose first I had a nose weight of 300kg!! I had to reverse it on to get 55kg nose weight. I decided to sell the BJ as a result. I wonder what the nose weight is on this setup?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
:xdoh:Without getting into any discussion about A Frame or Trailer and what's legal and what's not ! :xeek:

The most common answer is, I have nowhere to store a trailer.
That might be at home, or could be when on site, and the next thing is cost. :xgrin:

Well walking round the site yesterday and there it was, a folding car trailer that is made of aluminium so it's light folded will be a meter wide so it could store in a garage with the car behind it, may even be able to go down the side of your house and into the back garden, it weighed less than our Smart trailer and was plated the same 1300 kg. :xThumb:

But as always it comes with a cost, £3000 :xdoh: but........ Legal no wear and tear on your car, and when you change the car no problem, they will fit a centre channel so it would take a trike or motorcycles, the choice is there if you want one. :xgrin:

http://www.hiqfabrications.co.uk/Trailers.php

Bob and Janie.

Cheaper all round if in Spain just to hire a car if you need one...We manage with shanks pony, cycles and public transport and sometimes hire for a week. Paid £44 in Benidorm in jan for a week. Would have been cheaper from Alicante Airport and very very cheap for a month. Mind you if you are not very mobile probably a car is a must for some. Busby.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
B James used to do one with folding Draw-bar. Some years back a Guy at La Manga actually Floored his and used it a a barbecue area, complete with Gazebo, Fairy lights etc; over it!.

Pete

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
What caught my eye was the car. We have an 09 Copen (1300) and when I put it on our BJ trailer nose first I had a nose weight of 300kg!! I had to reverse it on to get 55kg nose weight. I decided to sell the BJ as a result. I wonder what the nose weight is on this setup?

Smart engines under the boot so front probably lighter

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Smart engines under the boot so front probably lighter
I know that bit, my comment was related to the video on their web site where they had a Copen front loaded. Anyway looking at it there does seem to be a faf setting it up.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Close but no cigar... Sorry that is just to bulky as any trailer capable of carrying a car would be whether fold able or not .

One heck of a lot of faffing about and Im not at all keen on the cam arrangement .

Still requires storage for many ,

If anyone can come up with a realistic solution before I have the A frame kit fitted to our wee IQ I would jump on it like a shot ! Sadly as much as I want it to be that aint it !

Thanks for the info though !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back