Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
yep, fitted a similar set on a mk 7 transit, same supplier if I remember correctly. fairly straight fwd.
you may need them on an ignition supply as they can come on when you go on mains hook up , if wired in on the standard set up, but think thats covered in the instructions.. been on mine a about a year and still ok.
ta andy

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I personally don't see the need for DRLs, if other drivers cannot see a naffin great white motorhome coming at them , then theyshould not be driving!.

mines only a little self build transit lol but take your point..... think most new vehicles have them as standard now, so its the way things are going anyway....
I like them:).
ta andy

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
I personally don't see the need for DRLs, if other drivers cannot see a naffin great white motorhome coming at them , then theyshould not be driving!.

Agreed but as of : 2011 they are compulsory on all newly type approved cars and light vans.

plus I quite like the look of them, personal choice as everything:xThumb:

Andy

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have them on mine but had to replace them one after the other as mine both got condensation inside.
They were replaced without quibble but that is twice I had to remove the engine trays and do the job twice. So far I haven't got the problem again but I'm not holding my breath

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Friend of ours has some small ones on the rear view mirrors of his Liner, certainly see that coming.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Before buying a set of these ask the seller if he "has the new batch" in yet ? I purchased a set about 7 months ago - pretty easy to wire up and very bright, however i always seem to have 1 of the 2 with water/condensation inside it. I contacted the seller (whom i am on first name terms with now) and he happily replaced it within a few days, The only trouble being this has happened now 5 times - always the same one (the ones he replaced) kept leaking) and i have to take my hat off to the guy he never made excuses or anything - just said "very sorry i will get you another out to you ASAP" which he always has done - but the last time (about 5 weeks ago) i told him the latest one was now leaking and not to bother sending me a replacement as i was getting a little fed up with it all now ! He did say that the manufacturer who supplies them to him are making a modification to the them as they seem to be aware there is a problem with them leaking... He said not to worry and as soon as he received the new batch from them he would send me a pair - I am still waiting but i believe he is also !

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I bought a pair for the bike, look similar but were around £25.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting some Day running lights for the van (Fiat ducato) and wondered if other people have done the same?,
been looking at these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261128483061?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Andy

I have used the ones (5 LEDs) which go in the slot above the one your looking at can get them pre painted in 3 colours and in a base so you can have them painted
Fit lovely to the shape and todate not had any problems, however I did seal all the cable entry points on the rear to ensure some kind of IP rating
Think they were a bit more expensive but IMO look better
Got them from ledcom.co.uk

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I used these: Broken Link Removed after the first (really cheap) set I bought became waterlogged. These new ones have proper seals, are aluminium, and are constructed rather like most LED torches. DRLs aren't there so you can see the vehicle - they're there so you know it is moving. And more importantly they filled the otherwise redundant fog/spotlight holes on my Hymer. :xgrin:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
mines only a little self build transit lol but take your point..... think most new vehicles have them as standard now, so its the way things are going anyway....
I like them:).
ta andy
All new vehicles have them by LAW !

I believe they should be wired via a dedicated control box which turns the off when headlights are turned on to prevent night time dazzle. (Could be wrong but seem to remember reading it)

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They dim slightly when headlights are switched on
CA_12261415340025-XL.jpg

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I found a circular pair on ebay, exact size to fit on the front fog light lens without restricting light output.

Cheap shite !!!!!! A cheap plastic circle of cheap plastic prisms and a single LED.
The led was bright enough but by the time it passed through 20 prisms it was barely visible even at night.

Chucked in a drawer somewhere.

OP
OP
Drexxer
Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
How does that work then with single leds ?
not sure but on the ones I'm looking at there a 4 x LED's

(During night time driving, when your lights are switched on, the lamps will dim to half brightness to avoid dazzle.)

Andy

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just had another thought Andy.

DRLs are not a focused beam.....they are random/diffused to attract attention with the widest possibly pattern.

How do you dip a random beam

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
not sure but on the ones I'm looking at there a 4 x LED's

(During night time driving, when your lights are switched on, the lamps will dim to half brightness to avoid dazzle.)

Andy
Now that makes more sense....dim not dip.
to dip each led would need to be twin 'element'so to speak.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I imagine they are dimmed by reducing the voltage via the supplied control box. Nothing to do with how many LED's

CA_04291414143639-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
DRLs aren't there so you can see the vehicle - they're there so you know it is moving.
That would be good. Unfortunately, all they tell you is that the ignition switch is on, which isn't quite the same thing.

Maybe they would be better if also wired through the gearbox, in a similar way to a reversing light. If they only came on when a gear was engaged, it would be a closer approximation to 'moving'.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
They might take quite a bit of wiring to fit to our Pilote (new last year) we only have one switch position on the column stalk that puts our headlights on. We do have sidelights but they only work when we switched off

Hope you can all follow that!

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
Mine ,connect to battery,do not come on until a sensor knows battery is charging
They dont dim at night

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi again, just reading the posts and thought I would add to my original one. the ones the op has which I think are the same as mine have a small control box which you wire in. the dimming facility is any 12v feed to the connection for that purpose, I chose a side light feed..
mine are wired through an engine run 12v feed...
I had to do this instead of an ignition feed, as I wired my diesel heater to bring on the vehicle fan if I wanted it to defrost the screen etc and found out that the drl came on when my heater blower came on :xdoh:. think having them on an engine run signal is good anyway.
ta andy

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
)

We've just bought a brand new lwb pug boxer to convert. We paid extra to have led ones fitted. As they just came with standard bulb. It's taken longer than we thought to get it with all the added bits and bobs. But it's Finally arrived from Ireland and at the dealership now. Self build , starts January.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We've just bought a brand new lwb pug boxer to convert. We paid extra to have led ones fitted. As they just came with standard bulb. It's taken longer than we thought to get it with all the added bits and bobs. But it's Finally arrived from Ireland and at the dealership now. Self build , starts January.
hi ralph-n-bev that might be explained by gozomike post earlier, see below.. but have not looked at the link yet..
good luck with the conversion
ta andy

I think at the moment they have to be fitted to new cars & car derived vans but not larger vehicles, yet.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....information-sheets/daytime-running-lights.pdf

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Law states that DLR must reduce to half power when headlights are on there are quite a few special relays about that link to a power source then to the DLRs and finally to the headlight dip beam to achieve this cost about £10. Don't think they are yet a part of the MOT but wait for that to be confirmed

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Pappajohn, I think that is not quite correct. All new model ranges launched after February 2011 have to have them. If you buy a new car now that was launched before that date and did not have daylight running lights, then they are not a legal requirement. Our 2013 Honda Jazz for example does not have them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back