Best Place to Change £'s to €'s (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Has anyone any suggestions on where is the best place to change £3000 into €'s I looked on the Nationwide web site but their exchange rates over the counter are not that good.

The reason I am asking is that at the moment the exchange rate is going up very slightly and the BOE meet the day after tomorrow and if as expected they cut the base rate again it could be a long while before we ever get back to what it is today 1.07 so I thought i would change some money up now,

Any suggestions would be welcome

carol ilfracombe

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Ilfracombe Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
15months + 4years before
Hi,

Has anyone any suggestions on where is the best place to change £3000 into €'s I looked on the Nationwide web site but their exchange rates over the counter are not that good.

The reason I am asking is that at the moment the exchange rate is going up very slightly and the BOE meet the day after tomorrow and if as expected they cut the base rate again it could be a long while before we ever get back to what it is today 1.07 so I thought i would change some money up now,

Any suggestions would be welcome
Try the post office, they can phone for an up to date exchange rate and give them to you t the same time usually. Carol:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Living in Spain with income from the UK we are always changing pounds into euros. Best method we've found is to use the hole in the wall in Spain from our Nationwide Flex Account, gives a daily commercial rate and no charges.

Hope this helps.

Neil

bigCol

Free Member
Oct 23, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
C class lo-pro
Exp
Don't use the Post Office: they don't charge fees but their rate is rubbish. My Nationwide Flexaccount card has always given good rates and is fee-free when used in European cash machines. Plus, you don't have to carry lots of cash around all the time.

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Thanks for all of your suggestions, its very strange we use our nationwide debit card when abroad and I totally agree that they give a very good rate, very near the exchange rates you see on the news etc.

I thought if they can do that with the debit card then I just assumed they would offer a very similar rate online or in the branch but they don't or certainly don't appear to be that good if you want to get your Euros before you go ?? anyone know why

Thank you for the link to "Travelmoneyservices" they do seem to be the best if you want to change your money before you go, the only downside is that the earliest they can do the change is the 16th Jan which is a bit tight, albeit they do appear to guarantee the rate. they also offer better rates if you can wait longer for the exchange, I don't know how this is done!!

UKForex appear to offer very good rates of exchange very close to the market rates the problem is that you need a euro account for them to pay the money into, so that is no good for me, I think I may take a chance with TMS above just hope it come through on the 16th​

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Braunston.
We too being due to go to France in 5 weeks are keeping a close eye on the euro. On another post about the fall in the euro I posted that it would start to rise when factors surrounding the eurozone economies were taken in to account. I was right with nearly a .9 rise since I posted on that topic. So i am going to wait and see. The interest rate cut will have no if little effect due to the eurozone looking at a big cut, and the fact that it is no secret that our rate will be massively cut on Thursday. In fact we might see the £ rise a little more yet, a steady increase up to aboiut 1.20 by the summer roles along.
But hey this is just a massive interest of mine, im just a nurse.::bigsmile: although Nikki does some dollar watching as part of her job, this got me interested.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Haganap

I hope you are right, this link seems to echo your thoughts

BBC NEWS | Business | Euro weakens on rate cut evidence

Hi Braunston.
We too being due to go to France in 5 weeks are keeping a close eye on the euro. On another post about the fall in the euro I posted that it would start to rise when factors surrounding the eurozone economies were taken in to account. I was right with nearly a .9 rise since I posted on that topic. So i am going to wait and see. The interest rate cut will have no if little effect due to the eurozone looking at a big cut, and the fact that it is no secret that our rate will be massively cut on Thursday. In fact we might see the £ rise a little more yet, a steady increase up to aboiut 1.20 by the summer roles along.
But hey this is just a massive interest of mine, im just a nurse.::bigsmile: although Nikki does some dollar watching as part of her job, this got me interested.

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
We have used TMS for a while now with no problems, James is quite prone to hopping on a plane at short notice and they have never let us down yet.
They use Royal Mail special delivery service or private couriers.....and they don't charge commission!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back