Flashing diesel glowplug light - problem? (1 Viewer)

grout

Free Member
Apr 27, 2008
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, and Happy New Year one and all.

We currently have the MH parked up outside in the cold, and when switching on the ignition notice the Glow Plug Light is staying on much longer than "normal".

After staying lit for 20 seconds or so, it then flashes for 5 seconds, with the relay under the bonnet (somewhere!!) clicking, and then goes out.

Engine starts ok.... although one time the light did flash for a few seconds with a lumpy engine before it "settled down".

Anyone else had this? Is it an indication of a problem developing with either glow plug(s) or the relay, or just the fact it's bl**dy cold out there?!

....and exactly where is that flippin' relay? (1996 Fiat Ducato based Swift Royale 630)

Any advice, experience or reassurance welcome! ..... and thanks in advance!!

:Smile:

John

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi John,
wouldnt worry too much, the plug relay usually either works or it doesnt.
i think they are a type of thermal relay, as the relay clicks in it starts to warm up dues to the resistance in the magnetic coil to a point where the bi-metal contact dis-engages (much like a flasher unit) and the light goes off. it may be flashing due to the very cold weather cooling the relay too fast.

i would expect to find it mounted on the engine bay bulkhead or near the battery.
if you follow the wire from the plugs it will lead to the relay.

john.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I get this problem everytime I start the engine when it's cold.

The vehicle, FIAT 2.8TD, 1999, is usually parked outside and when it gets really cold the Glow Plugs flashes, after a few seconds, about 20-30, it goes out when the engine block starts to heat up, the engine seems to run fine. I have put this down to the very cold weather we are currently having.

I start my vehicle a couple of times a week, always starts on first turn of the key.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Make sure you have drained down all the water systems including the Thetford WC. and ensure your anti freeze is good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi, and Happy New Year one and all.

We currently have the MH parked up outside in the cold, and when switching on the ignition notice the Glow Plug Light is staying on much longer than "normal".

After staying lit for 20 seconds or so, it then flashes for 5 seconds, with the relay under the bonnet (somewhere!!) clicking, and then goes out.

Engine starts ok.... although one time the light did flash for a few seconds with a lumpy engine before it "settled down".

Anyone else had this? Is it an indication of a problem developing with either glow plug(s) or the relay, or just the fact it's bl**dy cold out there?!

....and exactly where is that flippin' relay? (1996 Fiat Ducato based Swift Royale 630)

Any advice, experience or reassurance welcome! ..... and thanks in advance!!

:Smile:

John

SOLUTION: COME TO SPAIN :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I start my vehicle a couple of times a week,

Why , do you go out for a run .. if not then it's doing neither the engine nor the battery any good ..
Engines don't need "exercise." Starting an engine every few days or even weeks will just cause unnecessary wear and tear on the engine..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Diesel Engines and Glow Plugs

Hi

Sound to me as if your Glow plug system is operating as it should. Mine will cycle on and off for up to a minute or more AFTER starting in very cold weather.

The WORST thing you can do with any Combustion engine is to NOT get it thoroughly hot before shutting down, apart from thermal stress` you produce water vapour which can condense in the sump oil. produce a sludge (white) in the rocker covers and promote corrosion in places where corosion should NEVER be.

DONT DO IT. If you want to keep batteries charged get a Maintianer charger, If you think you should run it Take out and give it a good run NO Less than 1/2 an hour. otherwise leave it be, as you will do more harm than good

Here endeth the first lesson in thermodynamics and combustion!!!

Pete

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
On my Mercedes car the glow plug light goes out as per normal but however once the engine has started the glow plug light comes back on for about a minute, apparently it indicates that one or more of the glow plugs is not working!

Regards Pat

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, my 97 Kontiki is the same, the light flashes when its just started when its really cold, after a little while it goes off. :thumb: I was told I do not have four glow plugs, I cant think what its called my brains not in gear yet :Smile: but its one 'glow plug' located in the inlet manifold, but as long as its starts its good enough for me. Lifes to short. :ROFLMAO: Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back