Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I have always thought that washing hands in hot water was the most hygienic option but reading a little about Chlorine and Chloramine chemicals that get added to our water supplies I begin to wonder if cold is better.
It seems like when the water enters into our home hot water supply tank in the attic the Chlorine and Chloramine that is used by the water company is released into the atmosphere and lost. This enables micro whatsits to contaminate the supply tank, not a problem when you boil the water but maybe just washing hands in it just adds these to your hands. Also not a problem if you have a combi boiler.
Washing them in cold water would seem to be a much better option, it is what we find in most of the continental toilets and I have always thought why not provide hot water.
I guess that when we fill up our tanks it is also lost, so even washing with it is without the Chlorine and Chloramine that is considered an essential for clean water.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is soap which kills the bugs, the amount of chlorine in tap water will do next to nothing for the few seconds you are washing your hands. However, cold water is just as effective as hot water - providing you are using soap.

Now to more important matters - a glass of fizz followed by the sacrifice of a turkey for the mid-winter festival. Not forgetting to wash my hands in SOAP first!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
What's a mid winter festival?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Get rid of the tank and fit a combi boiler ?
Not the answer I was looking for, I am already aware of see original post.
It is soap which kills the bugs, the amount of chlorine in tap water will do next to nothing for the few seconds you are washing your hands. However, cold water is just as effective as hot water - providing you are using soap
If it is soap that kills bugs why are hospitals doctors surgeries etc. providing anti bacterial had gells?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back