Digital multimeter recommendations please (1 Viewer)

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
My Maplin one in the van has a dodgy display, while the one in the house appears to be broken. Not looking for anything fancy; ideally something I can order online to save me facing the Christmas Eve/Boxing Day/New Year crowds :xshout:

Mainly for testing 3/9/12V battery voltages and continuity. Are all low-cost models pretty much the same nowadays? Any brands to look out for?

If I start researching online I'll end up spending hours comparing specifications in minute detail, and then getting one that's complete overkill :xdoh:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Even the cheap ones these days are excellent. I bought a budget one that included a frequency counter, capacitance meter plus loads of other stuff for £20 odd about 7 years ago and it is still going strong.

I still miss my old AVO with a Bakelite body. Rock solid and very easy to read but a bit bulky compared to modern ones.

Deleted User
Even the cheap ones these days are excellent. I bought a budget one that included a frequency counter, capacitance meter plus loads of other stuff for £20 odd about 7 years ago and it is still going strong.

I still miss my old AVO with a Bakelite body. Rock solid and very easy to read but a bit bulky compared to modern ones.

The AVO were quality and a lot are still in use. Wonder how many were thrown out because they weren't as 'cool looking' as the new digital meters

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
1_man_and_his_dob(lo)
Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
I've still got an AVO model 7 which I still use - analogue readings can be quite useful in some circumstances but it's usually the Fluke for ease of use - the AVO is definitely for workshop use because of its bulk. The fluke is in my toolkit.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
A few weeks ago at the Radio Club in the UK we had a session testing several Digital multimeter's against a calibrated standard. I do not have the actual results with me but they were all very accurate, including the one I had purchased form Lidl for £10 (which looks similar to the screw fix one).

Phil J.

Free Member
Dec 21, 2014
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 696
Exp
I've just had a look at the Screwfix multimeter and as far as I can see from the pictures and the spec the only difference to the EBay one is the colour and the name.....the ebay one is half the price though!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you are not looking to spend in excess of a couple of hundred quidlets they are all much of a muchness nowadays
Even the Fluke ones are just rebadged Chinese specials until you get in to the higher price ranges

One thing often not mentioned.. The cheaper ones do go out of calibration with time and use
I have two quite expensive units that I use in my workshops for electronic stuff ( where I might be measuring .1v or something equally silly ) but the one I have in the van was well under a tenner and gets thrown away ( actually, usually just gets passed on ) every couple of years and replaced

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
All my fluke kit is U.S. made. (Not necessarily a good thing;)!) Ease of use and speed of measurement seems to set them apart.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must be over 10 years old then yes ?
Might be worth having it calibrated.. Fluke offer a really good service for the decent older stuff

littlehouse

Free Member
Jan 25, 2011
Decize France
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Driver 52
Exp
The most important things are:-
1 An auto switch-off facility.
2 BIG digital display.
3 LOUD buzzer for continuity.

If you get one with the above features, and it lasts a long time, you'll always be able to see/hear it and be able to afford a congratulatory glass of something nice for each maintenance job well done !!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back