Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
I'm thinking of connecting a solar panel to trickle charge our main battery when the MH is standing for a few weeks as we travel home to see family before returning to pick it up and continue with our travels. I have no idea where the battery is ( 2007 Swift Kon Tiki on a Fiat Ducato 3l multijet). I know where the jump start points are so my question is........... can I put the charger on the jump start points under the bonnet or does it have to be connected to the battery itself. If so where is it?
Sorry if it sounds a stupid question!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You can connect to the posts under the bonnet....they are there for that purpose.

More of a concern is the solar panel.....you are going to need a rather large one in winter.

80 to 100 watt may keep it going all winter but bearing in mind the sun dont shine much and it can be a few days without it altogether.

At best in mid summer an 80 watt panel will give maybe 4amps per hour.....that can reduce to less than 1amp in winter.

OP
OP
Happycampers1

Happycampers1

Free Member
Jun 18, 2014
St Leonards, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 665
Exp
Good point Pappajohn but it's in the Algarve so unless it's got a lot colder and darker in the past few days we should get enough to keep the battery topped up enough to start it. The battery is in good condition and I only want it kept topped up not charged from scratch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
To avoid damage to your battery a large panel would need a 'solar controller' fitted too.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Typical solar chargers to keep vehicle batteries charged are around 15W. But if it is only for a few weeks and for some reason you think the battery will run flat then just disconnect it. It will come to no harm and will retain its charge.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back