hello (1 Viewer)

simong

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
chesterfield
Funster No
Hello I'm Simon(you may have guessed that lol),35 , from Chesterfield, I'm married with 2 kids, and a dos, I'm a mechanic,welder,electrical/electronics engineer, I'm also studying auto spraying at college. I'm into fishing,anything with a loud engine, custom cars and bikes, hill walking, bushcraft, and loud music.

We've been into camping for quite a while now but we feel it's time to move onto something a little warmer for the nights lol, we don't own a motorhome as yet but we currently have our car on a few sites to possibly swap/px it for a entry level motorhome, It was my idea mainly so it'll make my sea fishing a little more comfortable for the night fishing, but I think I've sold the idea to she who must be obeyed lol.
We're looking for something big enough to squeeze the 4 and dog of us into, but small enough to use as our everyday driver which will will have to be, but saying that we've camped in a 3 man tent before so anything bigger than that will be fine:thumb:

cheers
Simon & clan:thumb:

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Hi Simon and clan, :welcome: to the Fun site. You've come to the right place for lots of friendly advice and info. We live quite close by to you, at Mansfield.

kickstart

Free Member
Dec 13, 2008
south yorkshire, Benidorm
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
4 years
Welcome Simon and clan from Marsh and Sylv, we are newly joined members and find everybody here so helpful, can't wait for our first meet, we are not too far away in Swinton South Yorkshire::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi Simon,
Welcome to the funsters its a great site and club plenty of helpful folk on here so if you want any info this is the place to be. We live in Sheffield, not a million miles away from you.
Cheers
Mike & Sheila (runrig) :thumb:

OP
OP
simong

simong

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
chesterfield
Funster No
thanks guys, I'm sure they'll be the odd question or 3 popping up from time to time, nice to know there's people close by too, we're from Sheffield originally move over here about 11 years back:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We're looking for something big enough to squeeze the 4 and dog of us into, but small enough to use as our everyday drive

That's a hard one.

You won't get much in the way of comfort for 4 and you will probably pay higher running costs.

Much compromising needed.

Good hunting.

Brian.

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
hi Simon :welcome: to you and the tribe have I seen:Eeek: your add on fleebay for a px,. Anyway to your question about size, that all depends on the tribe, are they 1&2 with a yorkie:Smile: or two teens and a dane:boxing: (hope you keep them all on their leads lol) We are Graham n Kay from Stoke and have 1 0f each, both have leads, 1 as a muzzle :thumb: good luck

OP
OP
simong

simong

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
chesterfield
Funster No
Hi, I think we'll be looking for a transit sized MH, more day van with the odd overnighter to start with, I don't think we'll get anything much bigger for a swap on a megane lol, we have been offered 1 van but has no T & T on, which I don't mind doing the work but we need a little T & T to be able to use it right away as a daily drive, I've still yet to totally convince the missis that we need one lol, she would rather have a caravan over a MH.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Hi, I think we'll be looking for a transit sized MH, more day van with the odd overnighter to start with, I don't think we'll get anything much bigger for a swap on a megane lol, we have been offered 1 van but has no T & T on, which I don't mind doing the work but we need a little T & T to be able to use it right away as a daily drive, I've still yet to totally convince the missis that we need one lol, she would rather have a caravan over a MH.

As a comfirmed MH'r I hate to say it, but based on your needs and budget, I think your Missus is right.:whatthe:

Pete:Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Welcome to the fun, pity you are so far away as I have a van that might suit you. Anyway, welcome to the site don't forget we have a chatroom here as well. I am there every evening if you want to know more about the van.

OP
OP
simong

simong

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
chesterfield
Funster No
As a comfirmed MH'r I hate to say it, but based on your needs and budget, I think your Missus is right.:whatthe:

Pete:Cool:
well thats the trouble , we don't have the space to park a caravan, and the price of storage around here isn't cheap, so thought a camper/dayvan would suit us better and also would be used more than a caravan as I go sea fishing, and where I go they all use campers or MH's, we hill walk alot so theres the added benefit of a warm cuppa after a winters trek:thumb:, but I do see your point with only the car to swap it's going to be a hard deal to find

Wildman, I'm always willing to travel for the right vehicle with the right deal:Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

hi simon,

a word of advise.....dont even consider a van without an MOT unless the seller is prepared to get it through the test for you or reduce the price (or cash adjustment) by, say, £500/£600 to cover any nasty surprises.
ask yourself 'why has he not MOTed it and asked a higher price?'
if the seller is really convinced it will pass then offer to pay for the test IF it passes.......if not just walk away as another will come your way eventually.

4 people and a dog in a transit sized van will be pretty much like camping in the megane but with headroom and i think you might have to look a bit bigger.

we have a 24ft kontiki and it can get a little cramped for the two of us at times, biggest problem being the width.....gotta suck the belly in to pass each other.:winky:

dont be put off by the comments posted here.....these are only our personal views and if its what you want then go for it.:thumb:

good luck,

john.

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Go for it from the sound of your work experience you can do some of the work yourself although I totally agree with the advise around MOT.
At your age I bought a Transit for me 2 young kids and Wife, bought a Awning to stick on the side. Spent 2 lovely summers with day trips odd weekend and 2 weeks tour of Cornwall.The Van was 15 years old when bought. One light bulb failure for the Cornwall trip. Swapped it for a caravan when we got back.:Doh:

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Welcome Simon and clan from Marsh and Sylv, we are newly joined members and find everybody here so helpful, can't wait for our first meet, we are not too far away in Swinton South Yorkshire::bigsmile:

Hi there, we are in Swinton too - it is a very small world!

Ginny and Mike

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
hi there and welcome to fun.
as you can see lots of good advice on here .
rotherham that's us :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back