New yr, UK or France, Belgium.. hmmmm !! (1 Viewer)

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We've got 4 days off for the new yr. Did have mad idea of nipping over to France or Belgium, (tho lived in Belgium long time so that's a long shot). Any ideas of great places to spend a few night in the van ? We don't celebrate new yr so we're not seeking frivolity in particular. Did think about Honfleur or maybe the Bayeaux area. I know there's a huge aire at Honfleur.

Dorset/Cornwall is our other option. Again, just somewhere near the coast or a harbour that may be open, pref with ehu to watch films in the dark evenings. We love Polperro and thought about the Kernow site there. Any fresh ideas welcome, we're all thunk out :xblink:

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
We are heading down to the Dordogne for new year, we have 6 nights and want to get aquainted with the van, like yourselves not seeking frivolity though up for a few beers :xThumb:

wherever you end up have a great time

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just my opinion, but four days isn't enough time to go to France or Belgium from Wales .. you will spend more than 2 days traveling.. and with only about 6 hours daylight a lot of driving in the dark..

To be frank, unless you go to a site with a few facilities and an EHU , it's not much fun or romantic in van on a wet, dark and windy aire.

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
Just my opinion, but four days isn't enough time to go to France or Belgium from Wales .. you will spend more than 2 days traveling.. and with only about 6 hours daylight a lot of driving in the dark..

To be frank, unless you go to a site with a few facilities and an EHU , it's not much fun or romantic in van on a wet, dark and windy aire.

Yeah to be fair, we did think there'd be too much travelling, tho hubby loves to drive and I love sit and watch out of window. Think we will probably stay UK. Site facilities are a no no, hate clubhouses etc. Tho one with a lovely hottub wld be quite nice :D Love snuggling up in the van with wine and music so don't mind that too much. It's more to do something interesting with the day. Current fave is Polperro as we love it and has lovely coastal walk to Talland Bay. Another option is Poole as neither of us has been there, a day at the submarine museum cld then be on the agenda. West Wales we love, but been there lots and fancied somewhere different. One of our best new yrs eva was a night in Hayle, 2 in Marazion and one in Polperro. Any good Dorset options ? :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Site facilities are a no no, hate clubhouses etc.

don't like em either, we don't drink and it's no fun watching others get rat arsed ..

I meant more in the way of hard standing, EHU and perhaps a games room or swimming pool ..

We went to a site near Newton Abbot at Christmas way back in 1995 when the kids were young. It had an indoor heated pool , hot tub and fun things for the kids to do indoors.. called Finlake, sadly now closed as a touring park and owned by Hoseasons..

pre internet days we found places to go at Christmas on CC mags. adverts

have a browse on UK Campsites

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Holgates CP at Silverdale, South Lakes is an excellent winter site. Indoor pool, sauna, hot tub, small bar. We have spent a few new year's there when we lived in Liverpool, even got snowed in one time. It's in a really quiet spot as well.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Portscatho, on the Roseland peninsula would be perfect.

ah yes.. Portscatho.. that takes me back, (y)

we used to camp there in the 80s when the field was owned by an old farmer who lived in a ramshackle stone cottage near the gate ...

No ehu, no water .. just a big trench dug with a JCB to dump black waste.. we collected water at a tap in the village.. cooked on an open fire ..
fabulous place.. as I recall it was only about a quit per night.. when I saw it was now a commercial site it made me very sad..

sign of the times.. everyone wants all mod cons ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back