LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A timely warning to all those who insist in bolting themselves inside at night though there is nothing to say that this was the case here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
Interesting comment about electrical appliances at the end. We do not have much in CB but reading posts about hair dryers leaving heating on overnight (people seem to have quite high wattage) etc it makes me and l hope others stop and have a think.
When we went away the other weekend l refused to take the electric blanket as l didn't know how it would affect things. l may be called paranoid but would rather be safe than sorry.

And if you think that breakers always work no they don't where l used to locum at on nights had a fire the breakers didn't trip in time.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
A timely warning to all those who insist in bolting themselves inside at night though there is nothing to say that this was the case here.

why most manufacturers disable dead locking when they convert a van to a camper...terrible way to go

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
why most manufacturers disable dead locking when they convert a van to a camper...terrible way to go

That's good.

The one that turned me cold was a member who said "we are safe at night, I hang out of the cap window, pull the outside lock across and lock it then tie the cab doors together".

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
well......... what can you do! madness....

milenco window/door alarms 20 odd quid

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
"One of the reasons why caravans catch fire is because people overload the electricity board by using household appliances like kettles."

Terrible, terrible news.
Does the quote mean you are not advised to use electric kettles?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
"One of the reasons why caravans catch fire is because people overload the electricity board by using household appliances like kettles."

Terrible, terrible news.
Does the quote mean you are not advised to use electric kettles?

No, it doesn't as long as all your appliances do not exceed the maximum available power, however when they do the EHU should trip out. The quote comes from a site owner who is probably still in shock having just lost a customer in a horrible manner. A similar thing occurred to two fishermen on a site recently, they had left their 25 foot lead coiled on the reel underneath the van ...............now that is dangerous and it killed them too.

OP
OP
icantremember

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
We have stayed at the site involved which is well kept and has loads of space .... I do question though if there were only two "caravans" on site due to off season, why they were so close that the second one was also damaged in the blaze.:doh:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have stayed at the site involved which is well kept and has loads of space .... I do question though if there were only two "caravans" on site due to off season, why they were so close that the second one was also damaged in the blaze.:doh:

Good point and one I didn't pick up when reading the article. Perhaps they chose the pitches themselves, the deceased lady being by herself?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Very sad indeed .... and agree about the 6mt rule being important ..

A fire on a site is scary enough, but on an aire when vans are almost touching is unthinkable..

we've been on a few when you literally couldn't open a window fully.. one goes up it's likely to spread to the whole lot

I recall many years ago there was a bad fire on a camp site on the French Rivera .. can't recall the details now, but it was bad.. dozens of tents and caravans went up.. gas bottles exploding all over the place.. several killed.. scary stuff.

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014

Bit of a dilemma, as I know I would feel very insecure having the MH unlocked all night.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Yes truly terrible occurrence at any time of year but I have to take issue with the statement that most manufacturers disable dead locking. Some do some don't.

D.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I thought all motorhomes HAD to have at least one window large enough to get out of.
Terrible thing to happen at any time of the year.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I thought all motorhomes HAD to have at least one window large enough to get out of

yes is the short answer ..

according to the NCC information..

All new motorhomes approved under the NCC Product Approval scheme are safe and legal for use on UK roads. The NCC scheme is the only one in Europe which verifies complete product compliance with the comprehensive health and safety standards set by the British Standards Institution (BSI) and European Standards body CEN.

If the vehicle is NCC approved, it will have an NCC Approved badge near the main entrance door.

To achieve approval, the model will have undergone over 600 checks covering all aspects of the motorhome, including:

• Gas and electrical installations
  • Tyres, road lights, reflectors
  • Weights and dimensions
  • Fridge, heater and water systems
  • Ventilation and emergency exits
but what constitutes and emergence exit ?

worth checking when purchasing a new or second hand van.. I bet a lot of home builds don't have one...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Bit of a dilemma, as I know I would feel very insecure having the MH unlocked all night.

Certainly not unlocked. But this was one of those locks that goes across the main door when you are out. Not chance they would ever have got out in a fire.

We have the standard twist to lock inside plus alarm contacts on the 3 doors. Good enough in my book.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
It referred to a motorhome, only by the police spokesperson. It looks like an ordinary towed caravan. Does anyone have more details? The gas bottle looks intact but very burnt, that is the thing that worries me most in my MH.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

Surely you not suggesting people should leave doors/windows insecure. Perhaps what you mean is its a good idea to ensure you have a means of escape in the event of a fire

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
RIP Lady. Such a tragedy.

I know it's impossible to speculate on this incident, but what would cause such a rapid blaze that one couldn't escape? In the pic, the gas cylinder is still intact and there was no explosion.

Do all vans go up like this? I thought that they had fire-retardant materials? You would expect a large fire to be started by a small one? Even without a smoke alarm, unless incapacitated by drink or fumes, you would hear it, smell it or feel the heat and bail out of a window?

Awful thought. good to have a fire plan rehaps?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
No, it doesn't as long as all your appliances do not exceed the maximum available power, however when they do the EHU should trip out. The quote comes from a site owner who is probably still in shock having just lost a customer in a horrible manner. A similar thing occurred to two fishermen on a site recently, they had left their 25 foot lead coiled on the reel underneath the van ...............now that is dangerous and it killed them too.
A good point Bertie. Really surprising how a lot of peeps leave metres of mains cable still coiled on a drum, then put it under the van. :xsad:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well for all we know at this stage, the lady might have died otherwise than in the fire. Who's to say she wasn't a smoker, it was an old van and when she dropped off and her lit fag dropped on the non fire retardant foam cushion. mattress, whatever .....

We don't know so it's no use speculating.

We always say this to wardens - and to other campers whether motorhome, caravan or tent - in case of fire get out immediately and run shouting FIRE!! at the top of your voice. Don't stop for anything - not to unfasten the fire extinguisher, grab the ruddy fire bucket, your handbag or any THING else. Any BODY - yes, but not THINGS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back