Free Member
Dec 20, 2014
tamworth
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Hello Motorhomers.

Can anyone help? I have recently purchased a 2011 Autotrail Apache 632. The heating system especially on electric does not seem to warm the habitation area very well, most of the heat source seems to go into the garage.
I was informed that the heating could be diverted from the garage area, but I cannot find any switch and the pipes run along the garage floor which gives of the heat to the garage area. I suspect the heat cannot be diverted. Any suggestions?
Merry Christmas to all on Motorhome Fun
regards
Kubota

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
The electric option on most heaters is usually very low power and not very effective. Most usually have no more than 2000 watts output on EHU.

Are you taking sufficient steps to reduce heat LOSS? The cab will lose most of your heat. Are you using any silver screens to reduce this heat loss?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Autotrails usually have an electric heater with 3 settings. 500w, 1000w and 2000w so first thing is to make sure it's on the right setting. Not familiar with the 632 but heating will be blown air type so you will need the fan on to circulate the air..
Inside the van you will find the air outlets, if there are any in the garage area you can close them to blow warm air further around the van. Electric is fine to keep things warm but you may need to put the gas fire on first to give it a bit of initial heat.

One thing to check, the blown air goes around all the pipework, if one has split or come away from the rear of one of the outlets that will loose a lot.. So maybe go round and just check all the pipework and fittings..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
[QUOTE="tonka, post: 1231788, member: 3141
Inside the van you will find the air outlets, if there are any in the garage area you can close them to blow warm air further around the van. [/QUOTE]

I had the same problem on a truma 6 heating system on checking a couple of the pipe outlets nr where they came out of the main heating unit at a T piece they had come out and therefore heating under the seat where it was situated
One thing to be aware of is truma indicate that on a truma 6 heating system (has 6 vents) not to close any of the outlets, however on a truma 4 (4 vents) it is ok to close some

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As said, it is not any switch as such, the air vents have flaps on them. Make sure the one in to the garage area is closed

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have a 2009 Apache 632 and suffer the same problem. Mains only heating is abysmal, we find a combination of mains + gas is best. As the Truma unit is situated in the garage area it is not surprising that the heat from the Truma heats that area. We have no heater outlets in the garage, the pipes running from the Truma unit into the habitation area run along the chassis outside of the van.
Brisey.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Good grief !
How daft is that ? !!!
Perhaps a lot of extra lagging and maybe even a false floor would be the only way to go

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a 2009 Apache 632 and suffer the same problem. Mains only heating is abysmal, we find a combination of mains + gas is best. As the Truma unit is situated in the garage area it is not surprising that the heat from the Truma heats that area. We have no heater outlets in the garage, the pipes running from the Truma unit into the habitation area run along the chassis outside of the van.
Brisey.

Doesn't it make you want to drive up to Grimsby and bang some heads together in the design department?!!!:xrofl:

OP
OP
K

kubota

Free Member
Dec 20, 2014
tamworth
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thanks for all your interesting comments much appreciated, yes! the design department needs an overhaul
looks like I will need my Longjohns.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
my 2007 scout has this heating diverter on the back of the fire. just took a photo so you can see the lever that you can adjust where the heat goes.

Attachments

• IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 15

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread