It's All Because Of You Funsters! (1 Viewer)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Having read this forum for one year then being members for the second year & attending rallies we have finally given in to the power of Fun & are both now retired early :party2: We won't be well off but have found that a lot of the material things that we thought were important before now no longer are & we will be happy to have a simpler life getting out & about more in the motorhome. Funsters have taught us that you don't have to spend a lot of money or travel far (although that's good too!) to have a good time:xThumb: Hearing others life stories & events in our lives have also helped get our lives truly into perspective. We aren't completely free yet as we have our long unfinished self built home to complete, 20 years of acccumulated "stuff" that we have never used or no longer need to sell/give away & a couple of years until our son will be settled at Uni but we are nearly there. Our family & friends think that we are a bit mad but think some of you will understand...

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Having read this forum for one year then being members for the second year & attending rallies we have finally given in to the power of Fun & are both now retired early :party2: We won't be well off but have found that a lot of the material things that we thought were important before now no longer are & we will be happy to have a simpler life getting out & about more in the motorhome. Funsters have taught us that you don't have to spend a lot of money or travel far (although that's good too!) to have a good time:xThumb: Hearing others life stories & events in our lives have also helped get our lives truly into perspective. We aren't completely free yet as we have our long unfinished self built home to complete, 20 years of acccumulated "stuff" that we have never used or no longer need to sell/give away & a couple of years until our son will be settled at Uni but we are nearly there. Our family & friends think that we are a bit mad but think some of you will understand...

Good on you and wish we had the guts to do it too Wombles:xThumb:, still its only 67 weeks, 3 days, 16 hours, 4 minutes and 50 seconds till April 5th 2016.:xsmile:

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
That's great news, life now begins, I retired early 18 months ago and we have done 1 month in France and in the last 12 months have done 3 - 6 week holidays at La Torreta in Benidorm plus numerous week ends away, I just wished I'd done it a lot sooner.
John.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Just catching upxroll:
That's great - enjoy, best thing we ever did:xThumb:
Totally agree about the forum helping you come to this decision, it's great isn't itx:-)
Should be Sir Jim I reckon:xwink:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
It will be the best desision you have ever made, once the hard work of the house is out the way.

We made this same decision a year ago and are now just two days away from completing the early retirement plan. It's been bloody hard work since July of this year, turning around 3 houses to let out, but we are almost there now. Lots if ups and downs with the properties, including having to get retrospective planning permission for one of them, but I know it will be worth it.

Live the dream I say, no point in dreaming otherwise!

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
I think that is a wonderful Christmas Present to give yourselves, enjoy it to the full. One bit of advice if I may be so bold, when you are away in your van think of it as living in another place not as been on holiday, because that's so expensive.

We have been retired nearly 10 years on a limited income, but with savings in the first two years wahoo we had an amazing time then realised savings don't last forever, so we changed our thought process and no we can't by a new van (good job we love the one we have) but by living carefully are now able to carry on with our motorhoming as long as our health allows us.

Of course their are people with more disposable income and that's fine just enjoy what you have sounds a wonderful plan it's amazing how quickly 1 year becomes 10. have fun.

Edit, I don't mean don't travel and go were you want we do every other year one UK the next over the water, in the past year we have in the van been to Greece, Italy, Germany, France and Morocco twice, but cook our own food most of the time take picnics when going out it's all so doable :xThumb:

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Congratulations! A great plan and all the best:xThumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think that is a wonderful Christmas Present to give yourselves, enjoy it to the full. One bit of advice if I may be so bold, when you are away in your van think of it as living in another place not as been on holiday, because that's so expensive.

We have been retired nearly 10 years on a limited income, but with savings in the first two years wahoo we had an amazing time then realised savings don't last forever, so we changed our thought process and no we can't by a new van (good job we love the one we have) but by living carefully are now able to carry on with our motorhoming as long as our health allows us.

Of course their are people with more disposable income and that's fine just enjoy what you have sounds a wonderful plan it's amazing how quickly 1 year becomes 10. have fun.

Edit, I don't mean don't travel and go were you want we do every other year one UK the next over the water, in the past year we have in the van been to Greece, Italy, Germany, France and Morocco twice, but cook our own food most of the time take picnics when going out it's all so doable :xThumb:
That's good advice for anyone, whether you are loaded or ,like us, not, why throw away money you might suddenly need , you can have great times in a motorhome as cheap as being at home, fuel apart! Or you can spend more than five star hotel holidays, which I don't see the point of.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

Wombles I now have a serious concern having read and re-read your op.............................if you are wandering the length and breadth of Europe who will locate all the DEALS for us?:cry:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Wombles I now have a serious concern having read and re-read your op.............................if you are wandering the length and breadth of Europe who will locate all the DEALS for us?:cry:
Don't worry Bertie - we have to be more frugal now so will be looking out even more for bargains & will share:xThumb: :xgrin:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have found that fuel is by far the biggest expense, but by traveling a fairly short distance at a time, , it decreases the speed at which the fuel and therefore the funds disappear ...
And before you know it, the golden goose has dropped another months "spondulux" into the account and away it all goes again.. I know, doh !! This seems so bleeding obvious, but, it took a while to register !! All those years of 2 week holidays, rushing there and back and the associated "peak" in spending stuck for a while.. So now we "pootle" and we haven't emptied the hole in the wall yet... Have a wonderful adventure in the next phase of your lives !!
Retirement rocks !! :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We have found that fuel is by far the biggest expense, but by traveling a fairly short distance at a time, , it decreases the speed at which the fuel and therefore the funds disappear ...
And before you know it, the golden goose has dropped another months "spondulux" into the account and away it all goes again.. I know, doh !! This seems so bleeding obvious, but, it took a while to register !! All those years of 2 week holidays, rushing there and back and the associated "peak" in spending stuck for a while.. So now we "pootle" and we haven't emptied the hole in the wall yet... Have a wonderful adventure in the next phase of your lives !!
Retirement rocks !! :xgrin::xgrin::xgrin::xgrin:

Can't wait to 'pootle' ourselves and we'll borrow that term if you don't mind.....................'pootling' has a ring to it!:xThumb:

OP
OP
Wombles

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you all for your words of encouragement & helpful advice - it's good to know that at least in the world of Fun we are more normal than crazy! We don't have any wild adventures planned yet but do look forward to meeting a few more Funsters at the rallies next year & catching up with those that we know already in between our family/house finishing commitments:xsmile: We now have no excuses not to sort our lives out which is a bit scary but great too!

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Exciting times! We were also influenced by the Fun philosophy to make our retirement happen sooner than planned. Very early days, get Xmas over then let the travelling commence.

Karen & Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back