Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I am with comfort insurance which runs out in January I thought I would ring round for some quotes
rang Saga (which i have car and house insured with them) first person i spoke did not know what cossoa storage was,then when he had taken all my detail said it would have to be refered to underwriter because of solar panel/sat dome (because i fitted them myself 60 years old engineer) they rang me back today and said they would insure the MH but I would have to get someone to check the solar panel installation (it has been working for 8 months) just wondered if anyone else had this, needless to say i will not be going with Saga for my MH.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Doesn't install much confidence when it's quite clear they don't know exactly what they're insuring. God forbid trying to make a claim :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Steveboy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2011
Wherever my wheels stop.
Funster No
MH
Rapido 972M
Exp
Fulltime since 2011
Fraid Ive ditched comfort in favour of caravan gard. They do a 9mnth live in your van policy which as a nearly fulltimer suits me.
Comfort ditched after upping my renewal quote £500 after saying they would'nt which persuaded me to let the insurance do a small bodywork job.
I then get the letter from comfort confirming my 'no claims' history which also disclosed they paid out £2626.00 for the small bodywork job which originally was quoted to me at £800.00. I call it distasteful and verging on crookery.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
For the first time ever when phoning around for quotes all the insurance companies asked me where we had the Solar Panel and Sky dish fitted and if we had the proof of fitting . We did change to Saga from Comfort as the level of insurance was higher and we had some excellent reports of their service from friends who had broken down with a large motorhome and toad and they could not speak high enough of the help and satisfaction they had from Saga.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've had Saga for car and house insurance in the past but they always increase considerably after a cheap first year.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If Saga increases your insurance just tell them they are too expensive and quote a competitors price, I have done this each year and they have dropped their original price. If insurance companies increase your insurance price, don't moan just get a better price with a competitor.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Each time there is an insurance thread I comment that our experience of Safeguard is very positive, each of the last three years the van premium had come down (about 3.5%). As I am Welsh and like a bargain I always get at least four quotes before going back to Safeguard and accepting their original renewal. Can't fault them so far.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
what is all this about solar and satellite fitting are we getting damp ingress insurance in with our policies now?

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Can only agree with those frustrated by the arragent so and so's who fall to recognise that there are people out there who value their hard earned and obtain competitive quotes.

Why can't insurance companies understand if they offered the intro discounts to current customers there would be no churn hence lower admin costs etc.

However for a bit of effort it keeps my cost down, for which I offer my thanks and suggest to all never accept an offer of renewal without checking it's the best you can get or it's not worth the effort of changing.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We work on the basis of if we were happy with it last year and it hasn't gone up more than a couple of quid, we don't bother asking round.

However if they just send the renewal through and it's increased substantially for no apparent reason - then we do get other quotes. Then we just move it to the cheaper one providing we are happy with the cover - why should we give the original company another chance? These days - they have absolutely NO loyalty to us their customers - so why should we show any to them?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , I've been with Saga for several years now, as rikfos says phone them back with other quotes , each year they knock off of there renewal price £ 30 because I have house & car ins with them, just have to ask or tell them also caravan club garrantee to beat renewal by £25 just throw that in.
Terry

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi , I've been with Saga for several years now, as rikfos says phone them back with other quotes , each year they knock off of there renewal price £ 30 because I have house & car ins with them, just have to ask or tell them also caravan club garrantee to beat renewal by £25 just throw that in.
Terry

Absolutely right

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
I've had Saga for car and house insurance in the past but they always increase considerably after a cheap first year.

I've always had Saga for Motohome insurance and they have always attempted to raise the Insurance each year.
After much negotiating on my part they have kept the insurance the same.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have both cars insured with Saga, they had to refer mine to the underwriters when I told them I'd fitted the towbar myself. Every year I have to haggle with them but they always come down currently paying £101 for wife's car & £150 for mine both fully comp.
Have the van insured with Comfort always been very competitive and easy to deal with.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back