LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Before converting to LPG I am just wondering if the bulk LPG that you fill up from in petrol stations is Butane or Propane?

Looking to use it for fridge, cooking and heating not as a road fuel.

Would prefer it to be Propane due to better performance in the winter.

Sorry if this is a very basic question but not found an obvious answer as I get the impression that it could be either.

Raindance1

Free Member
Nov 24, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Phew! That's a relief because I've just had it fitted to my van and hadn't thought of it.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
LPG is Liquid Propane Gas. The answer is in the name :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Propane in the UK but beware if you fill up in southern France or some other 'Latin' countries where the butane component of the mix is much higher. Then you could have problems if using the same fill-up during cold weather back in the UK.

OP
OP
Abacist

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Thanks everyone for the very useful replies

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Actually in UK it is autogas that is mainly Propane.
LPG as sold by the likes of calor can be completely propane (red bottle)
or completely butane (blue bottle) :p

In France Gaz de pétrole liquéfié

In Spain Gas licuado de petróleo

Italy Gas di petrolio liquefatto

Germany Flüssiggas

Last edited:

Aminthule

Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
So, it can be Propane or Butane or a mix of the two? That presumably means the two are effectively interchangeable and work with fridges, cookers and heaters safely?

Ye, I'm new to all of this!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Actually in UK it is autogas that is mainly Propane.
LPG as sold by the likes of calor can be completely propane (red bottle)
or completely butane (blue bottle) :p

In France Gaz de pétrole liquéfié

In Spain Gas licuado de petróleo

Italy Gas di petrolio liquefatto

Germany Flüssiggas
Autogas is a generic brand name in the same way Hoover is synonymous with vacuum cleaners......the gas is LPG....Liquid Petrolium Gas

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
According to the manual for the Dometic fridge I have just been having issue with, it will run on either propane or butane. If using LPG/auto gas it says the burner needs cleaning more regularly (2 - 3 times a year)
Having just cleaned mine and seen how much crap comes out of it I agree that regular cleaning is necessary ( see this thread for the gory details http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...working-in-morocco.102582/page-2#post-1308931)
I presume this is because Autogas contains additives to make it work properly in car engines that don't combust properLy in a fridge (but that's just a guess)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
According to the manual for the Dometic fridge I have just been having issue with, it will run on either propane or butane. If using LPG/auto gas it says the burner needs cleaning more regularly (2 - 3 times a year)
Having just cleaned mine and seen how much crap comes out of it I agree that regular cleaning is necessary ( see this thread for the gory details http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...working-in-morocco.102582/page-2#post-1308931)
I presume this is because Autogas contains additives to make it work properly in car engines that don't combust properLy in a fridge (but that's just a guess)

When LPG is used to fuel internal combustion engines, it is often referred to as Autogas. It has been used since the 1940s as an alternative fuel for spark ignition engines. More recently, it has also been used in diesel engines. Its advantage is that it is non-toxic, non-corrosive and free of tetra-ethyl lead or any additives. It burns more cleanly than petrol or diesel and it is especially free of the particulates from the latter.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back