geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
im going to show my ignorance here in the hope You can educate me please.

Q1. Whats the difference between the two

Q2 Which is smoother and good affordable brand

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hey .... French answer.... Cognac comes from Cognac France, and is an early (=young) Armagnac... Edit : Price depends on how old!
Brandy ..... not the slightest idea ! YOU tell me!:xgrin:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Q1. Whats the difference between the two

My understanding is that Cognac is a type of brandy that is produced in the Cognac region and its production is 'protected' by french laws, whereas all other brandy comes from anywhere but Cognac - just like sparkling wines...champagne etc

No idea on the taste on quality front though or whether price is a fair reflection on it either!!

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Is Sobrano Cognac ?
Thought it was a spanish brandy, Les discovered it a couple of years ago and loves it but refuses to pay Morrisons prices ......and he only got one bottle the other month from Aldi, which has all gone:xdoh:

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As said previously Cognac is made from Champagne grapes and Brandy is made from 'regular' grapes
There is no comparison between a good cognac and Spanish brandy. Having lived in Spain and drunk Soberano and Bacco I've got the scars on my liver to prove it

OP
OP
G

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
As said previously Cognac is made from Champagne grapes and Brandy is made from 'regular' grapes
There is no comparison between a good cognac and Spanish brandy. Having lived in Spain and drunk Soberano and Bacco I've got the scars on my liver to prove it

So soberano is the way forward ?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is and Aire in Cognac so you can go to the distillery across the river and do the Cognac tour, we did but I have obviously forgotten most of it.

After a bit of googling I would say they are all the same although different grapes but Cognac and Armagnac protect their production and name in a AOC way.

PS if I could paste on the iPad i would give you the link.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Armagnac is from a different region - Armagnac- hence its name.

Steve

I thought that apart from the region of origin, there is a fundamental difference, Armagnac is distilled in column stills where as Cognac and Brandy are distilled in pot stills.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Armagnac differs from cognac in how it is made. Traditionally Armagnac is distilled only once, cognac twice. The difference explains why Armagnac is more fragrant.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So soberano is the way forward ?

Yes, to a liver clinic, it's just too smooth. Form a queue behind Brisey.

The killer in Benidorm is a good coffee with a glass of Soberano for no more than €2. Sat looking over the sunny pristine beach. What could be better ?

Well, coffee, soberano and crepe. There is a beachfront cafe that does crepes as good as the French, sorry Frankie.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ll=3...=c1HLPomy_w1ZqLb5plX1qw&cbp=12,355.68,,0,7.48

PS... Benidorm needs to pay Google to take these pics again with the sun turned on.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Has any body tried Pineau des Charentes? It is a fortified wine blended with Cognac and its bloody lovely. :wine:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Oh yes we quite agree Pineau has been one of our favourites for many years, we like it very chilled. If you put it in the freezer for a while it makes the best slush puppies in the world.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Cognac and Armagnac are protected names and have to come from those regions. Brandy is a generic name and can be made anywhere, you could make it yourself in the bath if you wanted to.
Which is best is all down to individual taste, but if anyone puts coke with it then any rubbish will do.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Cognac is a type of Brandy that comes from Cognac in France.

Any other Brandy can come from anywhere and is not allowed to be called Cognac. There are good Spanish and German brandies although the French claim that theirs is the best.

As has been said Cognac is a protected name like Champagne.

For those that are interested Cognac is a blend of various different vintages of Cognac so that the taste is always the same for whichever brand you buy.

This is very different from a Single Malt whisky which is not a blend of different whiskies from different years but the production from one distillation that has been aged for the length of time proclaimed.

Hennessey XO where XO stands for Extra Old contains cognacs of up to 30 years old and costs about £120 for a 70cl bottle and Hennessy Paradis Imperial contains cognacs from 30 to 130 years old and costs about £1,500 for a 70cl bottle!

Cognac is also known as eau de vie or the water of life but some malt distilleries say the same about their product.

You can't hide a cognac store as a mould grows on the building that feeds off the aroma of the cognac. Nothing better than visiting a cognac barrel store where the smell alone is heavenly!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back