Chrome stip on the sides of Autotrail removal ? (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just noticed one of the long chrome strips on the side of the van is coming loose..

Anyone know how I can get it off without damage so I can redo the fixing screws ?

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
No, not on mine, sorry mate.. BUT if they are screws underneath, then a plastic trim remover should just "pop" it off, one screw at a time.. Then squeeze the chrome strip so it is a bit narrower, and bang it back onto the screws..
Good luck..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its weird stuff.. removed quite a lot of trim over the years but am a bit unsure about this one.
There is a 'track' or mounting strip nailed to the side of the van and the trim just clips on it.. If I try and use a trim pry on the moulding it is held on the mounting strip so well it is only making matter worse !
If all else fails I can see it getting to the point where I am just gonna have to bite the bullet and lever it all off and start from scratch.. not idea to say the least !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Try pushing it in as far as it should be, then crimping the strip a bit tighter to the mountings.. OR.. A bit of quality silicon under each bit and hold it on till dry !! ??

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I don`t know what type it is but usually it is a use it once, throw away trim.
You can reuse it if you have the time to get in under the retaining edges and prise it back out level again so you can re clip it back on.
Problem is ,getting in behind it to pull out the edging----take it all off and take indoors ,sit down and spend a while on it :xThumb:

Most modern plastic trims are stick on and throw away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Try pushing it in as far as it should be, then crimping the strip a bit tighter to the mountings.. OR.. A bit of quality silicon under each bit and hold it on till dry !! ??

It is the mounting that has come loose, so I am concerned about possible ingress eventually

I think you should ask Sargent :imoutahere:

They are bloody good.. But I think this is outside their expertise !

I don`t know what type it is but usually it is a use it once, throw away trim.
You can reuse it if you have the time to get in under the retaining edges and prise it back out level again so you can re clip it back on.
Problem is ,getting in behind it to pull out the edging----take it all off and take indoors ,sit down and spend a while on it :xThumb:

Most modern plastic trims are stick on and throw away.

Yesssss... pretty much what I thought really

If it's that bad maybe some glue.

As above Brian, the screws holding it in place have come loose and I can see a time when water ingress could be an issue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back