Home weather stations.. who has one ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've had a couple of basic cheap ones, you now the kind.. indoor / outdoor temperature.. barometric pressure , moon phase and weather prediction.. .. but was thinking on something a bit more jazzy.. I mean scientific.. :xlaugh: with rainfall , wind speed, direction etc

would also like it to send the data to a desktop PC

Been looking at a few but would like to hear from others who already have one and can advise on what to buy..

thanks in advance.. :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Have noticed in the last few years quite a few vans with these things sticking up on the roof. I did have a look at them in Maplins some time ago and they were quite reasonable. I have one of the Aldi ones in the van that is very accurate, but am sure you want something more fancy than that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Have noticed in the last few years quite a few vans with these things sticking up on the roof. I did have a look at them in Maplins some time ago and they were quite reasonable. I have one of the Aldi ones in the van that is very accurate, but am sure you want something more fancy than that.

had an Aldi in the Rv all the while we were away Dave .. bought it in 2007 and it just recently gave up the ghost .. hence the search.. and yes.. something with more bling .. more bells'n whistles.. :xcool:..

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
The ones which Maplin do for about £50 (manufactured by a Chinese company called Fine Offset and also available under dozens of other brand names) are OK as far as they go, but they tend to not be particularly accurate or reliable. You have to spend quite a bit more to get something decent, e.g. a Davis Vantage Vue or better still a Davis Vantage Pro2. Including PC connectivity (which does not come as standard), the Vue is just under £400 and the VP2 is over £600.

Steve

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The ones which Maplin do for about £50 (manufactured by a Chinese company called Fine Offset and also available under dozens of other brand names) are OK as far as they go, but they tend to not be particularly accurate or reliable. You have to spend quite a bit more to get something decent, e.g. a Davis Vantage Vue or better still a Davis Vantage Pro2. Including PC connectivity (which does not come as standard), the Vue is just under £400 and the VP2 is over £600.

Steve
Sounds a bit like hifi separates. First £500 you get £250 worth of kit...For every £500 you spend after, you get £10 worth of kit :)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Steve

Thanks Steve.. I have looked at them and was considering the Vantage Vue ..

Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
I have this one at home from amazon.co.uk/WH2081
As long as you can get the sensors up high enough - I bought aerial mast and clamp.
Away from the house, to avoid wind turbulence - mounted on garden shed.
This is a great unit for the money. The receiver shows everything you could want to know and you just connect to PC with the USB lead supplied, for record keeping.
Also have a small one in the van, not very accurate but keeps me amused.

Keith :cool:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
"Oregon" Scientific... Radio Controlled... Works on 433MHZ cable free...

Model number.. BAR113

Fantastic bit of kit,,,,, clock resets every 48 hours... so true to the mili second..Good robust weather reader outside..

All done through some Satellite..

Forecast`s approx up to date and three days in advance... :xThumb:

Now if that sounds like I know what I am talking about..... I dont.. I read it of the machine..

But it is superbly accurate.... Cost approx £90 about three years ago... :xThumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I built my own about 15 years ago.. Still working but kinda like triggers broom.
The anemometer has had a couple of sets of bearings, the first set of cups on it were not UV resistant so had to be replaced, the barometer sensor went phut about 10 years ago and was replaced, the external thermometer got eaten by a lunatic blackbird, and the web site that was used to correlate the info and do the weather prediction folded up.
But apart from that...... :xrofl:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Might be a bit simplistic for you but have you considered the many smartphone apps. There are some very good weather ones. Some with hourly updates I use one simply called "weather" very accurate.

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
All sorts of weather stations are available. You can get one at your local gizmo shop, or you can spend hundreds. It depends on what YOU want it for - is it for just your own daily curiosity? Are you going to keep records? Are you going to feed it live to the web? All sorts of things have to be considered. It's a great hobby (particularly for us anoraks) I've been running my weather-station for 14 years now. Mine is a Vantage Pro2 manufactured by Davis (considered by many to be the class-leader) which feeds the weather live 24 hours a day to the web, updating every minute. Around 5 years ago the Met Office installed their own thermometers in a Stevenson Screen which now sits alongside the Davis, so I am now an official "Met Office Climate Station."
But for those considering a weather-station, this is one of the best sources for guidance ..... www.weatherstations.co.uk

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Tried looking out the window.. Darned if I can work out what the air pressure is or the wind speed .. Should I try Spec Savers ? ;) :laughing::rofl:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Just over a year since the last entry here and I have only just seen this thread!
I used to be involved with the Met Office in a previous job so when I left, I decided to get myself a basic weather station. I have been through a few different models and have ended up with a Davis Vantage Vue.
Excellent bit of kit and so far, very reliable and pretty accurate.
I dont do any tech stuff with it now, just check the weather and wind speed.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I used to be involved with the Met Office in a previous job so when I left, I decided to get myself a basic weather station. I have been through a few different models and have ended up with a Davis Vantage Vue.

thanks.. quality information

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
I have a Netamo weather station here at home, which I an access from anywhere. The only thing I don't have installed is the rain gauge for obvious reasons. I have weather data going back 4 years, so know for example that here in this part of spain the average daytime temp today is up 3C than this day last year. Perhaps global warming is true after all...............
Link: Broken Link Removed

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have a Netamo weather station here at home, which I an access from anywhere. The only thing I don't have installed is the rain gauge for obvious reasons. I have weather data going back 4 years, so know for example that here in this part of spain the average daytime temp today is up 3C than this day last year. Perhaps global warming is true after all...............
Link: Broken Link Removed

That's what I have too.

For obvious reasons I do have the rain gauge :D

It links up to my weatherpro app on my iPad as well which is really good ( if you are geeky about weather - which I am)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Chris, no rain gauge! I'm surprised. I have the wind gauge works great. PM me with your email address and I will give you access.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Chris, no rain gauge! I'm surprised. I have the wind gauge works great. PM me with your email address and I will give you access.

I have the rain gauge John, it's too built up round here to justify the wind gauge though .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back