And talking of heating the van.. (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have the house heating set to 20c
I try and set the van about the same but Woman always says it is cold..

What do others set their temperature to ?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thermostat in the house is on 16 but keeps getting turned up and down. Car is set to 20 and haven't got one in the campervan

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
At home we set our room stat at 25 but the set the temperature of each room independently using to thermostatic valve on each radiator. The high setting on the room stat ensures that the towel rails in the bethrooms and WC stay on permanently. We've also found it best to run the heating from 6:30am til 8:30pm.
In the van we have the heating set at 22 which seems to work fine

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
In house 25, in motorhome as high as it would go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
one & a half buckets of coal (that's the house BTW)
MH - 10 overnight, 16 day

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
At home we set our room stat at 25 but the set the temperature of each room independently using to thermostatic valve on each radiator. The high setting on the room stat ensures that the towel rails in the bethrooms and WC stay on permanently. We've also found it best to run the heating from 6:30am til 8:30pm.
In the van we have the heating set at 22 which seems to work fine

If the house is unoccupied thro the day, this is the wrong way for fuel efficiency.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
18.5 oc and jumpers. Mh is cooler and we rarely use heating, even as cold as it was last night.

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
72F in the house, my thermostat is not marked in centigrade. In the van with an Alde system, 21C in the day (0600-2230hrs) 16C (2230-0600hrs)
ezee

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I like it around 19 in the van, when it gets to around 15/16 in the morning it feels cold.
It went up to 22 last night when cooking baked spuds in the halogen oven, we had to open the door to cool down.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
If the house is unoccupied thro the day, this is the wrong way for fuel efficiency.
No need to worry - One of us is there all day
On a serious note though.... Our house is really well insulated and I'm of the belief that once you've warmed the internal walls up, they act like a storage heater so it's better to leave the heating on from morning to evening rather than heating up from cold twice a day. I've got no evidence to support this other than to say that our house feels much more snug since we left the heating on all day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
That does not really make sense !
It might lose heat quicker but why set it higher ?
Thermostat in the van seems to drop 4 degrees before switching on, i.e. at 22c drops to 18c before coming on, so set higher.

You're right the fact it loses heat quicker is irrelevant, senior moment.:)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Between 1&2 wheel barrow loads of wood, keeps the kitchen at around 22/25 degrees and the lounge about 25, depending on how cold it gets and if the wind is coming from the NE.

Oh, the van? Whatever it takes to 'feel' warm, but rarely have to set the dial on the Truma above 5 unless the outside is into double figures on the minus side.
We just hate feeling cold

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We set our's at 20 when it's quite mild but when it's cold we put at 30 but as other have said it cools down very quickly so we also wrap up well, it's easier to take off a layer or two or add them, anyway what are all going to do when it does
get cold

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
No need to worry - One of us is there all day
On a serious note though.... Our house is really well insulated and I'm of the belief that once you've warmed the internal walls up, they act like a storage heater so it's better to leave the heating on from morning to evening rather than heating up from cold twice a day. I've got no evidence to support this other than to say that our house feels much more snug since we left the heating on all day.
I've been wondering about that - we're here all day and it gets really cold early afternoon. At the moment we're varying between the log burner and the central heating for just an hour at night not long before bed time.
Have you had any bills yet to be able to see how/if your consumption is affected?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I've been wondering about that - we're here all day and it gets really cold early afternoon. At the moment we're varying between the log burner and the central heating for just an hour at night not long before bed time.
Have you had any bills yet to be able to see how/if your consumption is affected?
Hi Debs
We can't compare really as our heating used to be oil fired and it was so expensive to run, we had many of the radiators turned off and the rest on low. We spent over £4000 on oil one winter, and the house felt cold. We ripped out the oil boiler 3 years ago and replaced it with Biomass (logs fired). We now burn the equivalent of about one wheelbarrow of logs per day in the winter. We have the heating on all day as said before and the log burner for effect in the evening. The house is much warmer than it ever was and we feel much more comfortable.
Regards
Robert

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have the house set around 19 and the van varies as we do t like it to warm overnight.
Since we fitted the woodburner last year we are using that more and when the living room warms up we just open the doors and it keeps the chill off the whole house so very rare for the heating to come on. Unable to compare cost as we only bought the house June 13 and fitted stove while renovating, I bpught 4T of softwood from the forestry for £90 and got some hardwood free for helping a friend and so far we are about 1/3 through the softwood.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Hi Debs
We can't compare really as our heating used to be oil fired and it was so expensive to run, we had many of the radiators turned off and the rest on low. We spent over £4000 on oil one winter, and the house felt cold. We ripped out the oil boiler 3 years ago and replaced it with Biomass (logs fired). We now burn the equivalent of about one wheelbarrow of logs per day in the winter. We have the heating on all day as said before and the log burner for effect in the evening. The house is much warmer than it ever was and we feel much more comfortable.
Regards
Robert
Thanks for that Robert, I didn't realise you weren't using gas - guess we'll have to try it for ourselves.
Cheers
Deb

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We have the house set around 19 and the van varies as we do t like it to warm overnight.
Since we fitted the woodburner last year we are using that more and when the living room warms up we just open the doors and it keeps the chill off the whole house so very rare for the heating to come on. Unable to compare cost as we only bought the house June 13 and fitted stove while renovating, I bpught 4T of softwood from the forestry for £90 and got some hardwood free for helping a friend and so far we are about 1/3 through the softwood.
Wow £90 - that's a great price!

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Thermostat in the van seems to drop 4 degrees before switching on, i.e. at 22c drops to 18c before coming on, so set higher.

I had this problem in a caravan. It is caused by poor location of the thermostat. You may be able to buy an auxillary thermostat to place in a more sensitive location?
ezee

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don't do 'cold' , that's why I live here ! :)
When it starts dropping below 30ºc I'm looking for a coat .
In the house we have a log burner in the lounge that , today when it is drizzling ( :xeek: ) is maintaining temperature at 25-6º & that is with both lounge & front door open as the dogs want to come & go . Normally I have to run it 'shut down' as though overnighting to prevent excessive heat ! :xgrin:
In the van when stopped I'd just turn it on until I was hot.
When driving I have heating full on to start , even here, & then reduce as it warms up.
In the car here first thing in morning before the sun has warmed anything up I'll have temp on 32º (max) & the seat heaters on.:xThumb:
Even in the UK I'd have the van heating on full to keep my feet warm & open a window if it got too hot ! :xlaugh:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Explain to me why my internal thermometer is incorrectly set and hers is exactly right
Easy. It's because to be warmer you could put more clothes on, but to be cooler she'd have to... erm... You wouldn't make her do that, not in the snow, surely??? :xblink::xblink::xblink::xblink:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Wow £90 - that's a great price!
Debs don't know about your area up here in Dumfries they do a sale every Quarter £22 + vat for softwood and £28 for hardwood, the forestry cut it into 1m lengths so you have to cut it and chop it yourself which I enjoy as its good exercise. As this will be our first full winter in this house we are hoping to notice a difference in bills. So might be worth giving your local forestry a call next sales January when I'll buy another 4T

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Debs don't know about your area up here in Dumfries they do a sale every Quarter £22 + vat for softwood and £28 for hardwood, the forestry cut it into 1m lengths so you have to cut it and chop it yourself which I enjoy as its good exercise. As this will be our first full winter in this house we are hoping to notice a difference in bills. So might be worth giving your local forestry a call next sales January when I'll buy another 4T
Thanks, that's great - we are quite close to a few forestry sites but I've never heard of them doing these sort of sales (and I'd have thought I would have) only the christmas tree sales.
This is our second winter and so far we've managed with free wood from various sources but will be getting a couple of bags of smokeless fuel this week, just in case my dads newspaper was right and we do get a really bad winter.
I'll make enquiries this week.
Cheers
Deb

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
To give a little bit of info about the "leave on / turn off" heating debate. This also applies to keeping the water hot in your storage tank or letting it go cold then reheat it. Years ago talking to a designer for British Gas, he describe the principle like this, using the hot water tank example.

You heat the water in the tank up to 55c say. The ambient temperature around the tank is 20c say. Therefore 35c of heat is trying to escape. You try and prevent it escaping by lagging the tank, but some will still escape. If you keep the water at 55c all the time then the escaping amount is constant and you have to pay for that.

If you let the water cool, thro the night for instance, then lets say by 6am its down to 35c and it was last heated at 8pm then the average heat in the tank was 45c for 10 hours. Which is a temperature difference to ambient, assuming ambient stays the same, of only 25c, hence lower proportion of heat escapes, then you heat it back up.

It all comes down to the average temperature of the water above ambient temperature over a period of time. Of course the better the insulation the less you lose, but it is still all relative.

Guess the same applies to heating houses or Motorhomes.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi Debs
Regards
Robert

Do you live in a stately home????!!!!!

We live in a 3 bed semi and use £600 of oil a year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back