Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Mud Island, nr Mudchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
long (with Brian) short (alone) medium (with Andy)
We are staying on a site for a change as doing the training day on an assult course next to it tomorrow.

We have EHU and l brought our 500w delonguie heater in CB. Do you think l can leave it on tomorrow or tonight even without tripping the electric or would that be to much l am not sure how site electric works.
Was only going to have it about 3 to keep the chill off esp tomorrow as we will be like icebergs and pre if not full hypothermic when we stagger back in.

Deleted User
That would only be approx 2 amps so EHU should cope with that no problem but some sites don't allow electric heating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
That's a new one on me, how can they police that? as long as you don't trip the breaker you can draw what you like
Yes quite agree but I have come across this statement on 2 occasions recently when looking at sites on internet.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If it clearly indicated on their pages then they won't get any business at this time of year.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
That would only be approx 2 amps so EHU should cope with that no problem but some sites don't allow electric heating.
Think the main 'club' sites are sniffy about using electric heating, but they are quite specific about where.

Deleted User
I have come across one site where you had to pay for electricity used, is this fairly common.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We always ask when checking into a site how many Amps the electric supply is as is varies wildly from one site to another
It's easy to convert Amps to KW, simply multiply the Amps x voltage
Ie 5 amps x 240v = 1200 watts (1.2kw)
You heater only uses 500 watts, but you need to consider other items which might be using power at the same time. Sometimes you need to plan your power usage carefully

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Only other electrical items are fridge and 2x phones charging. We are at a CL site £17/night inc electric.
That is quite expensive so get your money's worth!
Local CL charges £12 pn plus metered electric. From experience we only used £2.70 of electric per 24hrs with 1kw heater on constant.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I have come across one site where you had to pay for electricity used, is this fairly common.

That is quite expensive so get your money's worth!
Local CL charges £12 pn plus metered electric. From experience we only used £2.70 of electric per 24hrs with 1kw heater on constant.

It used to be common but I thought it was illegal now..

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Techno only here because of the course it actually crosses the site on one boundry and entry is via the site and we had to stay someplace. Hotels in the area very expensive. If we found cheaper further away would have had to have travel sorted so catch 22.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It is illegal to RE sell electricity at a profit. Metering has to be at cost supplied but the infrastructure costs are recovered by the camping fee.Just the same as the water waste toilets etc.
If you don't want hook up fine but it will cost as much or more in gas during winter.

I like metered sites because for most of the year it is cheaper as I don't take the hook up.

EDIT
Consider £12 per night plus metered electric
OR
£15 per night all year around non metered.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have seen signs saying no electric heaters in awnings, presumably aimed at tuggers and maybe Dawn B :D

when using sites when tugging we have seen people using the bright orange halogens in their awnings, I can see that offending site owners

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have seen signs saying no electric heaters in awnings, presumably aimed at tuggers and maybe Dawn B :D

when using sites when tugging we have seen people using the bright orange halogens in their awnings, I can see that offending site owners
That makes far more sense David

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We are staying on a site for a change as doing the training day on an assult course next to it tomorrow.

We have EHU and l brought our 500w delonguie heater in CB. Do you think l can leave it on tomorrow or tonight even without tripping the electric or would that be to much l am not sure how site electric works.
Was only going to have it about 3 to keep the chill off esp tomorrow as we will be like icebergs and pre if not full hypothermic when we stagger back in.

I didn't realise so many motorhomes don't have electric heating fitted

But as already said above 500W is not much load, the Alde heaters have options starting at 1Kw (1000W) going up to 3Kw which I am presuming is still under 13A @Techno100 ?

So you will be easily OK to use it, but deeply disappointed with effectiveness as mentioned

I would be leaving the gas heating on as well :D

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes David 3kw is effectively near as damn 13 amps at 230 volt EU nominal supply.
Most supplies tend to be over 230volts (as high as 250)which brings the current down.
Basically if the equipment has a UK 3 pin plug it cant draw more than 13 amps as that is the maximum fuse size available for it.

EDIT 3 pin plug is more often refered to as a "13amp plug" just as your hook up is refered to as a 16 amp.
We "UK" put fuses in our plugs because they generally plug into a domestic ring main which is protected by a 32 amp breaker.
16 amp plugs do not have a fuse because they can only plug into a 16amp supply

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013

DSCF9189.JPG

and your problem is?

OP
OP
Bulawayo Lass

Bulawayo Lass

Free Member
Apr 29, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well l bought the low kw to leave it on at home in CB in winter keep dry and chill off and not cost a fortune to run.
Not worried about tropical temps. It saves using gas overnight when snuggled in bed and in the day not wasting gas when not here :)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
If we go out in the winter we leave on the Truma electric heat blower on till we get back on the thermostat everytime.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back