Help me plan a trip.... (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Having got our first motorhome, we have 8 days off in May 2015 and we really want to tour parts of Scotland.

We live near Oxford and would like to ask the Funsters for some recommendations of sites to stay at for the journey up/down and also once in Scotland (max stay at any one site in Scotland to be 2 nights).

We do not want to wild camp and need dog friendly sites ( the Beauty Terrorist can't leave the baby behind...).

Any suggestions gratefully received

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Bunchcrew just outside Inverness, quiet low key site on the Beauly Forth. Inverness 10 mins. Simon & Harry are great hosts.:xThumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It will take you a day to get up to the Scottish border and another back, so you only have 6 days and 5 nights left, do not be too ambitious

But the borders have some great locations, amazing scenery, not unlike a lot further north without the travel time :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Only 8 days stay near the borders, we had 3 weeks this year and didn't even scratch the surface, going back for another 3 weeks next year. Are you in any clubs? :xThumb:

Deleted User
Bunchcrew just outside Inverness, quiet low key site on the Beauly Forth. Inverness 10 mins. Simon & Harry are great hosts.:xThumb:
Just planning my own trip for spring time next year and have chosen Bunchcrew from their website. Pleased to hear you comments about them.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
CC.. Bunree ? Sited on the banks of a sea going Loch,just south of Fort William. Read the poetry about Glen Coe,go and park up there some where quiet,close your eyes...... SPOOKY
Oban...... I could live there,go and watch the Cal Mac ferries criss crossing magic. Or,up to Aviemoor ? Spelling ? then follow the whiskey trails,"Ballandollach ?" there is an old "Cluotty ? Pudding shop up that way,one of those will last a week,and what is left over can be molded into a leveling block,left out overnight and next day be.... Fit for purpose LOL. Inverness,some where up there you can watch Dolphins playing near to shore,someone will be along to say where,you have to go through a golf course.Enjoy.
Tea Bag.
PS. Next year......... Peterhead.....etc LOL

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
It will take you a day to get up to the Scottish border and another back, so you only have 6 days and 5 nights left, do not be too ambitious

But the borders have some great locations, amazing scenery, not unlike a lot further north without the travel time :xThumb:

DavidG58

Appreciate the advice and you. Make a good point

Thanks

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Only 8 days stay near the borders, we had 3 weeks this year and didn't even scratch the surface, going back for another 3 weeks next year. Are you in any clubs? :xThumb:

Daveandsan

We are members of the caravan club. you might be right about trying to do do too much... The Borders are lovely

Thanks

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Just planning my own trip for spring time next year and have chosen Bunchcrew from their website. Pleased to hear you comments about them.
Hi.
CC.. Bunree ? Sited on the banks of a sea going Loch,just south of Fort William. Read the poetry about Glen Coe,go and park up there some where quiet,close your eyes...... SPOOKY
Oban...... I could live there,go and watch the Cal Mac ferries criss crossing magic. Or,up to Aviemoor ? Spelling ? then follow the whiskey trails,"Ballandollach ?" there is an old "Cluotty ? Pudding shop up that way,one of those will last a week,and what is left over can be molded into a leveling block,left out overnight and next day be.... Fit for purpose LOL. Inverness,some where up there you can watch Dolphins playing near to shore,someone will be along to say where,you have to go through a golf course.Enjoy.
Tea Bag.
PS. Next year......... Peterhead.....etc LOL

Blimey.....

Thanks!

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Just to be controversial......

Oxford to Inverness 520 miles.

Oxford to Koblenz 480 miles. Scotland has nothing to compare to the Moselle/Rhein.

Mmmmm......as a Scotsman I will beg to differ..... There are some fantastic places in Europe but sometimes we forget what fantastic places/scenery we have on our doorstep...

Each to their own.

Deleted User
Chanory Point in the Moray Firth, between Fortrose & Rosemarkie . Get there approx. 1 hour before high tide and the dolphins are only 20 - 30 from beach and great to watch.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I assume you have never been to Scotland.

I've lived and worked in Scotland for years, I have 3 Scottish grand children, my daughter lives south of Glasgow. I know it better than I know Germany.

So, I assume you have never been to Germany.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We've gone up to North Berwick before for a weekend microcar gathering ... it took us ages in our old Commer camper towing our microcar on it's trailer ... but it was great!

However, 8 days starting from Oxford is very ambitious to be honest and it will take you a long time, that's assuming you don't hit any road chaos on the way there/back. I certainly wouldn't go further than the borders and even then maybe consider somewhere closer such as Northumberland etc which is lovely and save the Scottish exploration for when you have a lot longer to spend there to get the most out of it.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
As others have said don't do to much take your time and enjoy, I would look at the borders and Dumfries and Galloway some stunning scenery and loads to do and see. Inverness is also stunning we spent 10 days touring at the begining of November and hardly touch the surface and we live in Scotland so lot less travelling.
I would pick an area and then ask for advice and opinions on that area.

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Just planning my own trip for spring time next year and have chosen Bunch crew from their website. Pleased to hear you comments about them.
We first visited in a rented moho. We travelled up from Manchester to Perth to pick her up. That first day we stopped at Pitlochry. The first of several times we were towed off site that week! Put me right off front wheel drive vans for good! Just kept going North, a calling ? Picked Bunchrew from Scottish guide book and never regretted it.Been several times now because the site and the two guys really suit us. Not too "organised", lots of international visitors, very laid back with good basic amenities'. Wonderful scenery,12 miles to Loch Ness,Inverness 10 mins, Nairn, The Black Isle,etc.

Deleted User
I've lived and worked in Scotland for years, I have 3 Scottish grand children, my daughter lives south of Glasgow. I know it better than I know Germany.

So, I assume you have never been to Germany.

No to be honest I haven't, don't know why but just love Scotland even though I am not Scottish. I know I should look further afield such as Germany as I am sure that I would enjoy the vine yards and scenery.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No to be honest I haven't, don't know why but just love Scotland even though I am not Scottish.

Whyever not, there are some glorious sights to be seen. I used to work around Aberdeen often and usually headed home via Braemer and Glen Shee whenever the weather was suitable. And for the English, it's pronounced Brumar. I've wandered above it at 10,000 feet in a glider. We've done the Caledonian canal in a boat.

There is a but, when working I've seen the best of it, take my wife and it usually pours down.

Germany. First of all it's foreign so that makes more exciting. It's big, very big, a lot of veriety. It's old and prosperous much to see.

Just click the link in my sig and have a quick look at Germany.

Excellent though Scotland is, I still believe that given 8 days from Oxford the OP would come back from Koblenz with a more exciting experience, and would be sure to return.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Bunchrew caravan park seems to be closed from November to March according to their website.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
But the Germans bombed our chip shop...... Only Joking!!!!,

There are so many places to visit and we will try many of them, but for now we want to tackle some parts of Scotland.

When we retire ( assuming we last that long..) we will have more time to travel, but in the meantime, just want to enjoy the limited time we have to visit Scotland.

Thanks for everybody's responses.

Diana and Ian

Free Member
Dec 13, 2014
Victoria Point, Queensland, Australia
Funster No
MH
25 ft RV on VW 2.5 Turbo
Exp
8 years
I've added Bunchcrew on our 'to do list' for 2016. Also can't wait to see Oban again. We're hoping to swap a motorhome (we're in Australia) so we can do several Months in UK next time. It's very interesting reading all the responses to your question jdk62 :xsmile:

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Just to be controversial......

Oxford to Inverness 520 miles.

Oxford to Koblenz 480 miles. Scotland has nothing to compare to the Moselle/Rhein.

Hi

We have been to both Scotland as well as Moselle Rhein . Have enjoyed both . 8 Days is not really enough for either but for Scotland we have used mostly CC sites and CL s . Rhein and Moselle really easy no need to book sites just turn up . For Scotland it is best to book well in advance . Your choice .

Deleted User
Whyever not, there are some glorious sights to be seen. I used to work around Aberdeen often and usually headed home via Braemer and Glen Shee whenever the weather was suitable. And for the English, it's pronounced Brumar. I've wandered above it at 10,000 feet in a glider. We've done the Caledonian canal in a boat.
I've added Bunchcrew on our 'to do list' for 2016. Also can't wait to see Oban again. We're hoping to swap a motorhome (we're in Australia) so we can do several Months in UK next time. It's very interesting reading all the responses to your question jdk62 :xsmile:

If you haven't already done so I would head north from Oban to Ullapool and then further north into the Assynt region.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
Yellowcraigs cc site near us is great for dogs practically right on the beach.
Melrose cc site, practically centre of nice little town, walk for dogs along Tweed.
North Ledaig north of Oban another beach site.
I agree Rosemarkie great sight for dolphin watching but maybe to far north for you.
A lot of the fun is in the planning.:xThumb:

OP
OP
jdk62
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Yellowcraigs cc site near us is great for dogs practically right on the beach.
Melrose cc site, practically centre of nice little town, walk for dogs along Tweed.
North Ledaig north of Oban another beach site.
I agree Rosemarkie great sight for dolphin watching but maybe to far north for you.
A lot of the fun is in the planning.:xThumb:
Thanks for the response

Part of the problem is the numerous choices...

Great fun though

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , If you like beach side 5van sites, Caravan club cl newton farm , gatehouse of fleet, is very good / basic .water tap & bins pitch right on edge of beach , if you've got good weather no better place.

Sep 5, 2012
Scotland
Funster No
MH
East Neuk Fifer
Exp
since 2012
If you haven't already done so I would head north from Oban to Ullapool and then further north into the Assynt region.

Love Assynt area and north, haven't been with motorhome but have twice stayed in holiday cottages at Culkein near point of Stoer, would like to do Clactoll sometime.:xThumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back