Bt Infinity or other FTC Broadband (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi all

Just wondering what sort of speeds other folks get from their fibre broadband providers.

We have just got BT Infinity, are about 5 miles from the exchange and 120 metres from the fibre cabinet and get 41 meg. If it doesn't improve I can downgrade to the 38 meg option 1.
We were expecting more, but we suspect the copper isn't in great condition.

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Had Fibre fitted with plusnet a week ago.... Getting 35mb so more than happy as previous i struggled with 4mb..
Had a great deal 6 months free, £50 cash back off plusnet and £100 cash back via quidco.. Very pleased so far, their communications have been good.

Infinity I believe have a 20gb download cap..... I am now watching a lot of streaming video, my daughter and grandkids are always on youtube etc... We just hit 60gb !!!!!!!!! :)
We are about 2 miles from the main exchange and the nearest box is 500+ meters away...

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't understand these huge numbers. We have 5.6Mb on copper. There's never a problem with live video like bike racing.

Might be different if there was more than one heavy user but there isn't here.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I don't understand these huge numbers. We have 5.6Mb on copper. There's never a problem with live video like bike racing.

Luddite!!!!!
LOL

We only ever got 2 meg on copper. Never mind watching bike racing, snail racing was faster!!

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
if its a fairly recent install of the street cab, then it could well increase in a month or so once the exchange you hang off has been fully completed
However although fiber does increase speeds it doesn't necessarily get round the contention ratio issue that a number of exchanges have - for now at least!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are on BT Infinity and live about a mile and a bit from the cabinet and we get around 15 Mbps. In my experience speeds vary depending on the time of day and week. Where we used to live it became very slow over the weekend but was OK the rest of the time. Once on Christmas Day it virtually ground to a halt as everyone switched on their new PlayStation gizmo.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

really comes into play for real time applications of voice and video, streaming video can be buffered and isnt as time sensitive.

Plus not forgetting the average household with 2.4 children now has multiple devices so needs that extra bandwidth to cope with them all!!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
if its a fairly recent install of the street cab, then it could well increase in a month or so once the exchange you hang off has been fully completed
However although fiber does increase speeds it doesn't necessarily get round the contention ratio issue that a number of exchanges have - for now at least!!

Oy geeky get back to work and stop messing around on here.
Someones gotta pay tax.:xsmile: pay for my bus pass:xangry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

And also at the other end too, BT Sport often hung due to their servers ( proven because a flick over to Eurosport showed they were at full speed, but wrong sport ).

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
really comes into play for real time applications of voice and video, streaming video can be buffered and isnt as time sensitive.

Plus not forgetting the average household with 2.4 children now has multiple devices so needs that extra bandwidth to cope with them all!!

Yeah! Even our dogs have wifi devices these days!

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
And also at the other end too, BT Sport often hung due to their servers ( proven because a flick over to Eurosport showed they were at full speed, but wrong sport ).
Very true...and in all honesty that is at the root of a lot of folks perceived problem with their Internet connections

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Just ran another speed test after resetting the homehub and have just got 75 odd meg down and 15 up!!

No complaints there!

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
that is quite a jump!!

BUT....your probably in the 'settling in' period, same principle as with DSL. After a week or so the speed will be set dependent on the amount of errors the line shows up at the exchange, so its likely to come down again

You could of course reset the hub a couple of times a day for the next week which will fool the exchange into thinking youve got a good line and then it will be set higher by default...but i never told you that;)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I have to say and wonder if anyone else has had this experience - I went from TalkTalk a few yrs ago to BT Infinity (the superdooper fast stuff) and now i am with Sky - but i would just like to say if your going with a ISP for faster speeds you may not always benefit, ( a BT engineer told me they can only stuff so much down the line otherwise it could fry it - depending on how old the line is) When i left TalkTalk i did so as i was not happy with customer services, nothing to do with speeds - so when i opted for BTs fiber optic Infinity i was expecting to be blown away - boy was i wrong ! Even though the speed tests with BT were nearly off the scale you could tell no difference what so ever when surfing the net, it was if i was still with TalktTalk but being ripped off for the privilege - I am now with Sky - yes the speed test is back down to what it was when i was with TalkTalk but you cannot tell what so ever. :xgrin:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You could of course reset the hub a couple of times a day for the next week which will fool the exchange into thinking youve got a good line and then it will be set higher by default...but i never told you that;)

Now what is the logic behind that ? I would have thought if the router went down it could be a bad line and they would slow it down.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Now what is the logic behind that ? I would have thought if the router went down it could be a bad line and they would slow it down.
a line down doesn't register as a fault as it could just be the user has turned their hub off, unless of course it is the port at the exchange that has died then that will register, or if the port is feeding a street cab.

line error rates and attenuation levels however are measured and these are what are used to determine Quality of Service related issues, if the line is reset then the counters are reset.

This is what BT (and the other carriers) do when a fault is reported on a line - the stock answer being 'cant find anything wrong' and all of a sudden your line is working again...they just do a quick reset of the port, doesn't always clear the underlying fault but it generally does restore the service, which is what they are measured on.

and conversely by resetting your hub a few times in the first week of use will give a higher average and lead to a higher level of service being set on the line at the exchange.

BTW - this only works if you have copper between you and a street cab or the exchange - if your fibre all the way through it wont do anything useful!!

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We're with that Virgin mob, tests over wifi connected devices regularly show download speeds in the 70's mbps and upload speeds circa 12 to 15 mbps. Not tried a speed test using an ethernet cable attached device to see if there's much difference.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
We're with that Virgin mob, tests over wifi connected devices regularly show download speeds in the 70's mbps and upload speeds circa 12 to 15 mbps. Not tried a speed test using an ethernet cable attached device to see if there's much difference.

Can't get cable here so with Plusnet and very please with speeds around 53mbps .. we need that with 4 kids.. last time I looked there were 27 devices registered on our router and very often there will be 3+ machines streaming video at the same time

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not a million miles away from you Jon and I'm still only getting 2.13 on a test this morning. We're about 5 miles from the exchange and 1250 metres from the cabinet and old green copper from what I was told when BT were out a while back. Not brilliant but I can live with with it compared to what we used to get.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back