Annual memberships - clubs, camping cards etc (1 Viewer)

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I'm buying a van next year (finally! as Irish house prices are recovering) and I've been researching the different clubs and camping cards available that I might be interested in paying for either as useful for membership benefits like discounted insurance and/or more directly related to stopovers/campsites.
So far I've identified the following:
Motorhomefun (£10) I've been a member here for two years of planning and research (my house by now might sell for almost what I paid for it xroll:) and given how useful and friendly I've found you Funsters I'll be staying a member!
These are other possibilities:

Motorhomefacts (£12.50)
Caravan & Camping Club (£37)
Motorcaravanners Club (£37.50)
Britstops (£25) - I love pubs!
ACSI campsite card (€14)
Camping Key Europe (€16)
ADAC (€84 European assistance) or UK based equivalent like Britannia (£130; £90 for UK)
What have I missed that you think might be worth a look?

What memberships do you pay for?
What memberships have you paid for in past years but then not renewed because it wasn't useful for you?
Have you used France Passion (or Spanish, Italian equivalents)? I intend to give one or more of these a go as I like farms & food/wine. How did it work out for you?

Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

[My plans: I'm buying a 6.4 metre 3.88t van. I'll be 2/3 months in the UK, 10/9 months abroad based out of Wales & travelling solo. Mix of wildcamping & stopovers/aires & occasional campsites, modest but ok annual budget]

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I forgot... Camping Card International (via membership of Motorcaravanners or Caravan & Camping Clubs).

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The aires books from Vicarious Books, Britstops for free spots in the UK, Caravan Club for CLs and the ACSI book/card will give you lots of economical options.
And Fun of course for the best online resource.

ADAC is best if they let you join. They have been difficult recently with UK customers but try from Cork and see how you get on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
We have used and enjoyed France Passion, staying at vineyards and some other sites. Good to remember the people and places when you enjoy the wine back home.
We like the peace and quite. There's also the fresh produce too - from honey to cheese.

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
The number of ACSI listed sites is increasing in UK particularly in the SW and along the south coast.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Did you mean Camping and Caravan Club? We're members of that and The Caravan Club, not sure about the £37, we paid £42 and £44 to renew this year but what's a fiver here and there? :) ACSI book and card and All The Aires.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
You could spend a lot of the year on our Motorhome Fun rallies both here & in France & Spain which are good value (y) Lots of friendly Funsters in Wales & rally there next year at Pembrey. All the clubs have their good points but just depends on what they offer you especially if you are spending most of the year abroad. We have Britstops but not used it yet, trying MCC this year for a bigger choice of rallies & hopefully a cheap THS in the school summer holidays, been members of Britannia Recovery for years & not used overseas but excellent in the UK, we would buy All The Aires book for France & perhaps ACSI card if in Europe for a long time as both seem best budget options based on forum reviews.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Did you mean Camping and Caravan Club? We're members of that and The Caravan Club, not sure about the £37, we paid £42 and £44 to renew this year but what's a fiver here and there? :) ACSI book and card and All The Aires.
Sorry, I meant the Camping and Caravanning Club. On their website direct debit membership is £37 online & £42 by paper.... but what's £7 here and there? ;) (unless their website is out of date, but that's what it says today).
Membership of CCC also allows one to get an International Camping Card (as does membership of Motorcaravanners Club) which maybe does instead of an ACSI card...

Having spent most of my life in Wales and England I've seen so little of it and I've only ever been to Edinburgh in Scotland, almost all my travelling has been abroad. So I'll be joining the CCC to use their CL sites, certainly for my first year and I'll see after that if I think it's worth it for me. Joining both the CCC and the Motorcaravanners seems (expensive) overkill - I could spend a small fortune joining more clubs than I'll need or benefit from.

My van will have sat nav but being "old school" I'll definitely be buying some aires guides, nothing beats browsing a book for inspiration... and books don't break just when you need them!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Sorry, I meant the Camping and Caravanning Club. On their website direct debit membership is £37 online & £42 by paper.... but what's £7 here and there? ;) (unless their website is out of date, but that's what it says today).
Membership of CCC also allows one to get an International Camping Card (as does membership of Motorcaravanners Club) which maybe does instead of an ACSI card...

Having spent most of my life in Wales and England I've seen so little of it and I've only ever been to Edinburgh in Scotland, almost all my travelling has been abroad. So I'll be joining the CCC to use their CL sites, certainly for my first year and I'll see after that if I think it's worth it for me. Joining both the CCC and the Motorcaravanners seems (expensive) overkill - I could spend a small fortune joining more clubs than I'll need or benefit from.

My van will have sat nav but being "old school" I'll definitely be buying some aires guides, nothing beats browsing a book for inspiration... and books don't break just when you need them!

Dafydd, greetings from the Usk valley (when I'm not at work!). If you get the ACSI ID as well as ACSI discount card that ID acts firstly as a recognisable document as opposed to leaving your Passport in a campsite office (shudder) (on sites that accept it) and also affords basic insurance to the same level as those provided by the ICC card. The ACSI card and ACSI ID card cost me less than £13 together this year direct from ACSI as the exchange rate was good on the day the money was taken. Well worth the money too in my view.:xThumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Fun
Caravan Club (primarily to access the CL sites. )
AA Breakdown

Abroad we use aires so never had a reason to join ACSI or France Passion
One that is seldom mentioned is Broken Link Removed, similar to FP but no joining fee.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Dafydd, if you are looking for low cost options for places to stay in the UK I would strongly recommend the Caravan Club (CC) over the Camping & Caravan Club (CCC). The former have a much more extensive network of Certified Locations(CLs) than the CCC. For example, if you want to visit Scotland, which I strongly advise, it is a great place, the CC have 7 CLs along the northern coast from Cape Wrath to John O'Groats compared, from my quick scan, with the CCC which had just one. This difference applies to the rest of Scotland too. Of course there are options for wild camping in Scotland but these do bring the added hassle of finding places to empty your grey and black waste and refill with fresh water. A CL every other night or so will give you the opportunity to "refresh" everything, so to speak.

A very small number of people have reported problems with the CC, notably when they introduced regulations on how to park on each pitch on their sites which some over-zealous wardens interpreted incorrectly but to the best of my knowledge this problem has been sorted and doesn't apply to their CLs anyway. Otherwise, their proper campsites are the best you can find and are not expensive out of season and if you need a bit of pampering with heated toilet blocks in winter and access to washing machines they are ideal.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Motorhomefun
ACSI
Aires book or Bordatlas don't need both (we stick to Aires book.)
That'll get you all over Europe, the rest is just expense, any more is information overload, travelling is simple it's people that make it difficult.
Just start the engine and go.:xgrin::xThumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm buying a van next year (finally! as Irish house prices are recovering) and I've been researching the different clubs and camping cards available that I might be interested in paying for either as useful for membership benefits like discounted insurance and/or more directly related to stopovers/campsites.
So far I've identified the following:
Motorhomefun (£10) I've been a member here for two years of planning and research (my house by now might sell for almost what I paid for it xroll:) and given how useful and friendly I've found you Funsters I'll be staying a member!
These are other possibilities:

Motorhomefacts (£12.50)
Caravan & Camping Club (£37)
Motorcaravanners Club (£37.50)
Britstops (£25) - I love pubs!
ACSI campsite card (€14)
Camping Key Europe (€16)
ADAC (€84 European assistance) or UK based equivalent like Britannia (£130; £90 for UK)
What have I missed that you think might be worth a look?

What memberships do you pay for?
What memberships have you paid for in past years but then not renewed because it wasn't useful for you?
Have you used France Passion (or Spanish, Italian equivalents)? I intend to give one or more of these a go as I like farms & food/wine. How did it work out for you?

Any advice and suggestions appreciated.

[My plans: I'm buying a 6.4 metre 3.88t van. I'll be 2/3 months in the UK, 10/9 months abroad based out of Wales & travelling solo. Mix of wildcamping & stopovers/aires & occasional campsites, modest but ok annual budget]

I can see where you can easily save £12.50:xwink:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
ADAC well worth it, no doubt about that. So much more than a breakdown service. Most sites will let you on member or not.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
heated toilet blocks in winter
That's reason enough for me!!
Thanks DevonBeekeeper for the advice. I hadn't looked at the Caravan Club for the obvious reason.... but I'll follow your tip and read up on it and the differences between them and the CCC.
Exactly as you say, I anticipate spending time (and money) on paid sites (CLs or actual campsites) for the reasons you suggest even if offsite parking is the first choice for economy (and allowed in Scotland as far as I can tell).
Also for touring around Wales and England I expect to pay more, more often, than on the continent as I don't want to get hassle from the Fun Police considering the general suppression of the freedom to park overnight. I'm looking forwards to giving Britstops a go.
Happy honey!
Daf

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
I can see where you can easily save £12.50:xwink:
Haha! Indeed... when I started my planning & dreaming, back when my Irish negative equity was still at the level of a tragic gambling addiction (it's about evens now), I decided then, after a little perusal, that I wasn't going to be paying to join two forums! "Fun fun fun", as Tigger would say, was obviously the winner!

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Fun
Caravan Club (primarily to access the CL sites. )
AA Breakdown

Abroad we use aires so never had a reason to join ACSI or France Passion
One that is seldom mentioned is Broken Link Removed, similar to FP but no joining fee.
Thanks for the link to the French farm site, that's my cup of goats cheese. It's a new one to me and I'll have a read.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks for the link to the French farm site, that's my cup of goats cheese. It's a new one to me and I'll have a read.
Me as well , have downloaded the app and think I might not bother with france passion this time, anyone used it?

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Camping and Caravan Club membership is £37 for online membership.....£42 for full paper,....... ie site books and monthly magazine.
This may whats confusing.
Don't forget that the Camping and Caravanning Club have got nationwide THS....(temporary holiday sites) all year round. This is great for touring and or visiting major events this year in Scotland alone .....Commonwealth Games..........Ryder cup etc. These sites are the best value for getting close to major holiday resorts and events. An absolute boon for motorhomers.

Last edited:

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Would give serious thought to your insurance and check out AIB & Comfort. Both offer Aviva flat rated insurance and can include European breakdown cover for your MH for about £60.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Ah... I just understood what you meant... doh! - sorry for being flippant earlier, I see now that the £44 is for the Caravan Club. I misread your comment.
There seem to be a few Funsters who are members of both the CCC and the CC. I'm not sure that I'll be touring the UK intensively enough to justify joining both. It might come down to who's most helpful with insurance when the time comes.... or who allows access to the most sites that I'm likely to use.

OP
OP
Dafydd

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
Would give serious thought to your insurance and check out AIB & Comfort. Both offer Aviva flat rated insurance and can include European breakdown cover for your MH for about £60.
Once my van is ordered I'll get onto the insurance. AIB is a new one for my list so thanks for that.

Having not lived in the UK for a number of years it might be the case that some companies will refuse to insure me at all, or so I've read on forums (here I think), though quite what extra risk (let alone uninsurable risk) they think living in Cork for a few years carries I can't imagine...
Anyway, that'll be a full time job on the phone for a few days I expect. I've got a list of bookmarked companies and I've read up on what they offer but I'll do it all again carefully when the time comes (when I've sold my house here in Ireland, put my remaining stuff in storage and moved back to Wales). I'll have a read of AIB's website now, so thanks again.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
No Problem. We don't tour enough either, in fact after starting with the C&CC we later joined the CC because they had the sites where we wanted to go and we haven't used the former for 3 years now. But for a less than a £1 a week haven't bothered to cancel as we may use them again.

As for Bobby22's comment, useful, we never read half the bumph from the C&CC so had missed that online option. If only to rid ourselves of the unopened mags it would be worth it. :xThumb:

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Like Bailey58 say's CC is the one we use most (better sites in the places we like) but as we live on the Isle of Wight the CCC does the best discount on the ferries so it pays for itself.

Sep 9, 2014
Exeter Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer C664G
Exp
since 2008
We found Caravan club sites more expensive than Caravan and Camping club. Also CC rallies are via Centres which we never did manage to join.
For stops abroad we use Camperstop ....covers more aires in more countries than other aires books

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back