Android speed camera App (1 Viewer)

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
merely an app that has been ported from IOS to Android...something that happens a lot, such as all the google stuff on IOS was ported from android and so on and so forth

Still ad android app though that Gromett is pointing at;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Read the reviews...

It's a modified iOS app..not android

It runs on Android it is therefore an Android app. What he is likely complaining about is that TomTom haven't put any work into the reskinning. They have simply re-used the graphics from the IOS version.

The native language for Android Apps is Java, the Native language for IOS is Objective C. They are not cross compatible. In addition the API's of the two OS's are completely different so there is no way an IOS app will run on Android. You can't modify an App from one OS to run on the other it does require a total rewrite.

However there are cross platform App creation tools which output to both the native formats from one source language. However these do tend to do a half decent job of making them look native so I don't think that is the case here.

Anyway, I don't think any of that is relevent. If it works and it is what you need then who cares what it was written for first?

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Gromett your very knowledgeable indeed ............................however I didn't understand a word of it AND I've lost the will to live..........NURSE!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ok, I will try and explain more simply. A programming language is like a human language. Like French and English. Now 2 different operating systems one speaking French and the other English still have a lot of similarities. Work could be done to modify (translate) them from one to the other. However Android and IOS both have different API's. This stands for Application Programmers Interface. The closest I can explain this is that it is like the alphabet of a language. So IOS to Android is more like Russian (Cyrillic) to English. So not only the language is different but the letters are different and quite often have no equivalent so direct translation is not possible.

I am not very good at analogies so this is a poor one. However it should give you some ideas as to what I meant in my first post.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
wait till you have to do porting between IOS, Android and Windows phone...jeez that is a real pain in the proverbial...the later is completely naff!!!!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
wait till you have to do porting between IOS, Android and Windows phone...jeez that is a real pain in the proverbial...the later is completely naff!!!!
Is that what you do @bungy? If so perhaps you can explain it better than me :D

I am glad I no longer have to deal with platform conversions they were a nightmare back then and there were no API's to deal with then.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest I have looked at the screen shots and can't see anything that makes it look IOS ish....

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Is that what you do @bungy? If so perhaps you can explain it better than me :D

I am glad I no longer have to deal with platform conversions they were a nightmare back then and there were no API's to deal with then.
not the techie side!!!

I was dropped into a project to sort it out recently...just coming out of the other side now!!!

The app it self worked great on ios and android, but the amount of issues with windows was nuts, simple coding tasks in the other two turned into massive rethinks with windows, its structure is not very developer friendly so there isnt many developers doing much with it so most things has to be started from scratch...even ms were flumoxed with some of what we were doing saying....it should work:rolleyes:

Your russian/english analogy is spot on from what I can tell(y)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
That sounds like my idea of hell @bungy My life got so much simpler after I stopped having to deal with the nightmare that is Microsoft.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have had Copilot satnav on my android phone for a few years now but it's no good for France when it comes to speedcams unlike the TomTom app which indicates when you're entering a speedcam area. After that it's up to your eyesight though from reading forums it appears the location of the camera is approximately a third of the way along the indicator bar on the app! Another advantage of the TomTom app is that a widget cab be overlaid on the Copilot navigation screen so you have the added bonus of two speedcam apps. Also, I used both apps simultaneously yesterday travelling in Spain and the TomTom informed me of two sets of average speedcams and the length of the capture area which Copilot only identified as speedcams, not average speedcams. From now on I will always travel using both apps, the only downside is the TomTom needs an internet connection (y)

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
The TomTom Go Android App is very good - I am hoping they produce a truck/caravan version at some stage. Excellent traffic info and Speed Cameras. Good routing and re routing (car) around traffic jams.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back