Fuel / EGR Issue (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
After calling the AA as Bessie was leaking diesel on Friday the patrolman stripped down the fuel pump and replaced a seal. Fixed the fuel leak and we went on our way. An hour up the road the engine management light came on but Bessie drove normally so carried on to destination. Next morning driving to hotel the light was still on but now white smoke was being emitted when driving even after the engine was warm. Called AA again and they came out but couldn't connect to the diagnostics - our motor wasn't coming up on his Bosch system (apparently we have a Ducato 2.3 40 130 - but not sure how he could tell this). After his attempts to connect the light went out and engine ran fine (no smoke). On the way home down the M40 next day the light came on again and every now and then it lost power but I could accelerate through it. I think there may be an EGR valve issue as we had similar symptoms on another 2007 Ducato previously. I would like to confirm the issue as I first thought it may the water in fuel filter sensor as that was the part that was stripped down. Or could the EGR valve be affected by the Fuel Filter problem. Any ideas how I can get it diagnosed if the AA cant read the diagnostics?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
A Fiat dealer may have more luck with the diagnostics perhaps.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You will have to go to a Fiat dealer as they seem to have a monopoly on the full diagnostic software.

It sounds like a similar problem to our 3.0 Peugeot recently which they said was caused by a faulty "motorised throttle housing".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I had a similar problem on my last van and my local garage diagnostic kit couldn't trace the problem but did reset for me, on more than one occasion. As per the previous post my mechanic told me that Fiat had blocked some of the diagnostic info so that only their equipment could identify! I traded my van in as it had given me problems on and off from day one.

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks, was hoping to get it diagnosed before I go to garage as it may be covered under the warranty (but more likely not!)

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
had a similar problem on my renault trafic, wouldn't show up on any diagnostics as it wasn't displaying the symptoms at the time, even though they drove around for an hour with a hand held diagnostic thing plugged in..
as soon as i left the garage, the fault happened, sod's law eh.......
had my local garage look at it, they were convinced it was the egr valve, which it proved to be..
turned out cheaper for them to strip it down and clean it out, it was totally choked up, ran beautiful after that and still is with it's new owner, my daughter..
hope you get it sorted soon, intermittent faults are a pain in the butt..

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Diesel black smoke = good
Diesel white smoke = bad

I believe white smoke is caused by air in the fuel, but I ain't no expert......................my son is!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
White smoke is either unburnt diesel or water vapour, so either water in the fuel/ lealing head gasket etc. or unburnt fuel due to injector fault etc.
Try smelling the white smoke, if its acrid & makes your eyes smart it's fuel if it's sweet smelling/tasting it's coolant.

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Sounds very similar to the problem I had on my 2007 2.3 X250, it turned out to be the butterfly valve on the EGR. Got it changed and is running good again (fingers crossed)!!!

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Thanks for the replies - I had a similar issue on the 2007 Carioca and the dealer replaced the EGR valve even though it wasnt covered by the Insurance backed Warranty. Didnt keep the Van long enough to see if it cured it. I suppose it could be air in the fuel as the AA Guy started it with an empty fuel filter but it didnt smoke till the following morning. I couldnt see if it was smoking when it was juddering as we were on the Motorway. I will try it again today when I have to move it to clean it and see what its doing.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Any decent garage will have the right diagnostic equipment. If you take it to a Fiat garage it will be expensive

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Any decent garage will have the right diagnostic equipment. If you take it to a Fiat garage it will be expensive

Thanks - the AA had Bosch Kit and couldnt find our engine listed but may try my local Guy who managed to connect to my previous 2007 2.3 ok.

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
White smoke is either unburnt diesel or water vapour, so either water in the fuel/ lealing head gasket etc. or unburnt fuel due to injector fault etc.
Try smelling the white smoke, if its acrid & makes your eyes smart it's fuel if it's sweet smelling/tasting it's coolant.

Or a blown Turbo!

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Blown turbo will be blue smoke which is burning oil.(also caused by worn rings, valve guides etc.).
Black smoke is excess fuel, usually a blocked air cleaner or wastegate problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back