Free Member
Jun 14, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer a class
Exp
10 years after many years tugging
Got alde system and a 300 page hymer manual plus several other manuals . Some of the suggestions are really OTT .... Maybe this is because it is designed for Germany and places even colder . It says take out TVs , completely empty all upholstery, any other loose fixtures and fittings including gas bottles whether empty or not!
We don't live in a mansion with several spare rooms and the ones we have are already full of junk ( says he!)
We can leave it on hook up but is that an unnecessary expense?
Any help gratefully received.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Never bothered with any of that in 20 years. It's sensible to remove bedding and food cos of the dreaded meeces and drain down the water if it's going to freeze as a blown water heater/tank would be expensive to replace, although I don't even do that, as the boiler has a dump valve for when it freezes. A little heater with a frost setting is good, or you could just use your van through the winter? I leave my van plugged in all the time and when I remember unplug it for a couple of days to give the batteries something to do!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It says take out TVs ,

not so daft..

Samsung LED TVs have an operating temperature range of 50° F to 104° F (10° C to 40° C). Temperatures outside this ranges will affect the operation of the TVs and can cause damage.

Storing below zero may also damage..

Google throws up some more info ..
just one link of many

and if you live on a council estate they will get nicked.. :rolleyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Might be worth taking out a TV (I never have), but the rest is probably not necesary unless the temperature falls significantly below zero.
My list is as follows. Ensure the fresh water has drained out of the taps (leave them open in the central position). All water tanks empty (but I drain down after every trip anyway). Leave the locker and cupboard doors open to ensure free air movement and to prevent the cushion pads sticking to the frames (mine are now 11 years old). My batteries are kept topped up anyway by a solar panel so no need to keep it plugged in to mains electricity.
If it gets really cold for an extended period (say -5ºC or lower) I sometimes put a 500 watt Dimplex 'Cold Watcher' heater in the van and plug in the mains.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If you have "wet" central heating as in Alde make sure there is antifreeze or glycol in the system specially if it's a few years old. In our static we use Sentinal R500 or you can use R600 ( other manufacturers are available :D ). I take ours down to -20 as we had a -17 week in 2010:eek:

Jun 11, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
hymer s820
Exp
hya fill sink and shower traps with an anti freeze screen wash if they freeze they split on some hymers you have to take shower tray out to replace the traps

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
hya fill sink and shower traps with an anti freeze screen wash if they freeze they split on some hymers you have to take shower tray out to replace the traps
Ha, anti freeze screen wash. While in Canada in the winter of 2012 I asked about window wash and they use it neat and it was working at -27c. I checked it out here at Halfrauds and neat was guaranteed down to -7c :LOL:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Mrs BB take the easy option, if you have hook up at home, we plug in set temp to 10C don't drain anything, always ready to set off if we fancy (y)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Oh! And re TV mine has a cover made out of silver screen material, don't know if it makes any difference but it keeps it clean!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back