Free Member
Jun 19, 2014
Lytham St Annes
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
20 years
Has anyone travelled in a camper in Australia. We have hired one to travel from Melbourne to Adelaide in February for a week. We plan to travel the Great Ocean Road. Looking for advice on where to camp

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hope you have a fabulous time Lou/John, post some stuff/photos here for us less fortunate. Sure to be plenty of advice coming your way.

Best wishes, Bryan and Anna

OP
OP
loujohn

loujohn

Free Member
Jun 19, 2014
Lytham St Annes
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
20 years
Cheers Bryan, I will totally bore everyone with pics

Lou & John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Been a long time and not that area.. Usually the hire company have some affiliation with a camping group so will most likely give you something....
That holiday has cost me a lot !! We only had a few days and first time in motorhome and since have bought several vans..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've found the Rough Guides very useful in other countries. Each regional section lists the highlights of the area and this makes a very good starting point when planning a holiday.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
We have travelled by camper in different areas of OZ three times in recent years . If we want campsites we often use BIG 4 who have a large network over Australia , if we want to go more wild camping there is a book you can buy called Campsites Australia probably about issue 8 or 9 costs about 50 AUS $ but lists places to camp ,routes , facilities , etc .
A point to remember is that it gets dark very early and there is not often much to do after 8.00pm so go to bed early and rise at daybreak

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Had a camper for 3 months and travelled from Sydney to Cairnes all up the coast. Some really good campsites all along the route took us 2.1/2 months to do that trip because we were in no hurry. Best memory was watching hump back Whales throwing them selves out of the water on there migration route as we were sat out side the camper having breakfast, or sitting having a cold beer and watching humming birds flit about. Go for it have a great trip.

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Has anyone travelled in a camper in Australia. We have hired one to travel from Melbourne to Adelaide in February for a week. We plan to travel the Great Ocean Road. Looking for advice on where to camp

If you leave Melbourne on the right hand side down the Mornington peninsula after Mornington there are loads of campsites by the bay. Loads to see, then take the Sorrento to Queenscliffe ferry, very reasonable price and one of the nicest ferries. Take your time on The Great Ocean Road, there are loads of small campsites all the way long, one of my favourites is in Apollo Bay. Another place to stay is Port Fairy. A fabulous area plus my grandchildren live just outside Mornington, that's how I have visited the area.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Sounds like a nice trip have fun

Don't think a week will be long enough though, its a big old place and loads to see

We have family that live around 3 hours from Melbourne at Wangeratta

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
And for God's sake, stick to the speed limit, however low it is even if it seems totally unnecessary. Some other drivers report even marginally speeding drivers to the Police!

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Some good stuff for you there Lou.... and here is a bump, to keep it going a while

best, Bryan and Anna

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
One of my son's lived in OZ for a few years and was always complaining about the cops saying "And most of them are bloody English":rofl::RollEyes:

Movinon

Free Member
Feb 1, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Lots
DSCF1168.JPG
Spent a year camping in the bush all over Australia including Tassie. In February you may need to use CPs just to get a hookup for the air. Otherwise plenty of rest areas around although more restricted in popular tourist areas. Broken Link Removed is a useful resource. You can pull over anywhere for the night that's not got a No Camping sign, but touristy areas tend to be more restricted. I've never had a problem. Be prepared for the possibility of a random stop for a breath test. The Koala Cove cafe is a good place to see wildlife and to stop for lunch. Be careful the resident Kookaburras don't get your food. Unfortunately you may find the area full of other tourists, which is not what camping in Australia is really about. Be careful when choosing a place to stop - soft sand is the problem, not crime.

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Just down the road on the Melbourne side of the 12 Apostles is a township called Princetown. There is a big fancy campsite but if you prefer quiet then we stayed at the Princetown Recreation Reserve a few times when photographing the Apostles at night since it is just 4 minutes drive away.
www.princetownrecreationreserve.com
Don't forget to take the turnoff to the Cape Otway lighthouse - the most amount of koalas we have ever seen including 3 with babes.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 4

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
Hey Lou/John, looks like your gonna have to extend that hire period to fit all the good stuff into your visit/tour.

Bryan/Anna

OP
OP
loujohn

loujohn

Free Member
Jun 19, 2014
Lytham St Annes
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
20 years
We'll have use of a car when we are in Brisbane but I think our time there is mapped out for us. I would love to extend the stay but being a softy I will miss my dogs too much hahaha

CJB

Free Member
Feb 26, 2013
Kent
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year
Hahndorf in the hills of adelaide is well worth a visit, very quirky. There is a campsite within easy walking distance to the town, where there are some excellent restaurants. Nice German beer served by Lederhosen wearing waiters, and tasty camel steaks.

thraxugrut

Free Member
Jun 19, 2013
Irlam, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Another good place to find great camping spots is
www.parkweb.vic.gov.au
That is for the national parks which are fairly regimented. State parks and state forests are a little rougher.
Some great scenery through the Otway National Park on the Great Ocean Road.

image.jpg

OP
OP
loujohn

loujohn

Free Member
Jun 19, 2014
Lytham St Annes
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
20 years
Thanks everyone for the advice and pics. We will be in Oz 2 weeks before we hire the camper so with the help you have given us we will be able to plan our adventure

Drover

Free Member
May 10, 2014
dalton near lockerbie
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 1993
spent 18months travelling round tassie and ausie we had camp 4 book witch is the bible for campers,it gives you all wild camp sites all free,youl find some lovely camp sites along the ocean road but be prepared to dig deep in the pocket,a week doesnt seem long enough,have a great time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back