Out via Calais Home via Bilbao (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Anybody ever done this, we have travelled extensively in France but have never done Spain and its a long way home. Thinking of visiting a friend near Malaga and looking at the options. Any advice please.

Rgds
Bill:RollEyes:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
C.o.b.h.

Hi

Last few times we went. Dover-Calais Out and back. But this time because of (time) restrictions We too are making the return via Bilbao.

I have worked it out that Financially (@12MPG) we are not actually out of pocket, its within about £25/ either way! especially when you factor in French campsite costs. The fare was booked before the latest "shenanegins" with the Euro, so we got a good deal!!

Has anyone got location of Site/Secure Aire/parking within no more than a Hour of the Bilbao ferry terminal? Open after Easter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for that, I am working out the costs benefit/defecit as well. We get 27/28 mpg so it comes out differently. It does give us the opportunity to visit the Bordeaux area, we've never managed that before and we have only ever visited Spain once, flew to Barcelona last year for a couple of days.

I'll see how it works out.

Rgds
Bill

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi
We have done Portsmouth to Bilbao and return. As said its a bit boring and costs a few bob however the accomodation was good. The trip to Bilbao is two nights and the return is one night.

We our rather June did all the calcs and it worked out cheaper than any of the alternatives. Our destination was the Costa Brava.

The main route out of Bilbao takes you almost immediatley (30mins) on to a non-toll motorway. Its safe and free to park there, just cant remember the Road Number. From this road you can pull off and head South.

Cheers Jim:Smile:

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Our planned route to Morocco was:

Plymouth to Santander, then travel through Spain down to Algeciras which is very close to Malaga. The ferry was excellent (well we thought so anyway) with a one night stop over. We had an outside cabin so that when we got up we saw the sun rise. Absolutely excellent. Yes it is a bit expensive but there was very little difference doing it this way or driving through France and then Spain. I would definitely do it again.

HTH

howardirene

Free Member
Aug 12, 2008
saddleworth
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
3 years
Hi Bill so sorry just to stray from your point, but is that a E560 that you own, Irene and I would love one of those, what do you think of them good or bad, should i trade or not ?????, we are off next year for 8 months starting Oct down through France and into Spain to Velencia Bonterra Park to be pricese and then suck it and see really its our 1st time doing this so what an adventure waits for us Eh can't wait to get going roll on god bless, Howard & Irene

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
have only ever visited Spain once, flew to Barcelona last year for a couple of days. Bill

We've been amazed at the quality of Spanish roads. And of Spanish drivers. Good lane discipline, good signalling and not slow.

Some of the HGV lanes on the motorways were a bit ripply but otherwise not overloaded with traffic. Even Madrid was good compared to UK. Crosswinds were a problem, where Spain is flat it's flat for hundreds of miles so the wind doesn't half get going.

Another surprise was south of Madrid, it's all scrub land that can just support olives, I estimated 100 miles by 100 miles of olives. That's quite a lot of olives.

And Spain is not that big. 600 miles top to bottom means one stop is doable.

Last time we stopped in Toledo. Bit disappointed, not ancient any more but a spectacular setting. Nearby Aranjuez is worth a look.

Brian.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Just checked on Autoroute the sorts of mileage difference

Assume London as the start point as a lot of people would have to pass around this to get to either Dover or Portsmouth

London to Dover 79 miles
London to Portsmouth 75 miles

It seems the common denominator for a town would be Burgos in Spain

Calais to Burgos 826 miles
Bilbao to Burgos 99 miles

so it appears

London to Burgos via Calais is 905 miles
London to Burgos via Portsmouth is 174 miles

therefore the mileage saving is 731 miles however i would suggest you would need 2 over night stops if you take the Calais - Burgos route so this would need to be added to the cost.

The difference in costs for fuel .

At 12mpg which equals 2.64 mile per litre MPL and £1 or €1 per litre

731/2.64 = £277

At 25mpg which equals 5.5 miles per litre MPL and £1 or €1 per litre

731/5.5 = £133

You need to add the cost of the overnight stops to both of the above figures to give a comparison to the cost of the ferry, you may chose to use free Aires or pay for campsites, that choice is up to the individual all be it during the winter i would personally look for campsites with guaranteed electric hook ups, but that my preference.

hope this helps

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The difference in costs for fuel .

At 12mpg which equals 2.64 mile per litre MPL and £1 or €1 per litre

731/2.64 = £277

At 25mpg which equals 5.5 miles per litre MPL and £1 or €1 per litre

731/5.5 = £133

Next stage:

I've just costed P/B ferry for a little MH £798 return.

The other day I got a figure of £58 for D/C Sea France.

No contest really.

Brian.

OP
OP
WillH
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi again,

Thanks for all the hard work doing calculations, I am coming up with the obvious choice over Dover Calais and a long drive. The long ferry trip doesn't put me off as I used to be at sea for six months at a time in a different life.

It really comes down to what I fancy, or rather my other half.

Once again , many thnaks.

Bill:thumb:

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
We have thought of doing at least one leg by ferry down to Spain but seeing as we got free tickets :clap: with Norfolkline it made our minds up. We are going to head south towards Perpignan, did this route before & found it a reasonably easy drive. We would have liked to go through Andorra but not sure how bad the route through there would be this time of year, it was cold enough when we came back in April.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron W

We have for many done the trip down to the south of Spain many times, twice a year either thro Poole Cherbourg, Portsmouth LeHavre and Portsmouth Bibao. We start our 3 months hol in Feb/March and have been caught many time with very cold waether ( -9C ) and in some cases 6 inches of snow from Cherbourg through to Spain. So we opt for the Ports /Bilbao out , very relaxing, and home in June via Le Havre. The trip back from the south of Spain, taking about 4 weeks in various campsites in Spain and about 2 weeks in France where in May /June its Fab with many villages and areas visited. Don't be afraid to turn right or left off main roads and get lost, this way we have found many great views. By the way ,take the route via the Pyrenness tunnels from Spain to France and soke up the views etc. We do much the same in Sept but France visits first , then Spain or Portugal and return via Bilbao.
Someone mentioned Bordeaux, take extra care around this area the bandits are in full swing, especially on the ring road where its well known that they throw stones at your vehicle which gets you to stop and in so doing force they way into your van taking money etc in a matter of seconds. This has happened to several friends, the police unfortunately don't want to know unless they find your passport in the verge. So only carry very little money etc on your person with the rest in your locked safe. Good trip to all.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Bilbao Out

Hi

The "boat" comes off for winter Docking/"bum scrape" in January, (P&O) so travel overland is almost compulsary. "ferry cheap.com" have the current best prices. we got LESS than £375 for the Bilboa/Portsmouth return (april 2009) FIXED price. (30+R-V +Toad). £47-00 Dover Calais January- Daytime crossing.

Still looking for sites/Aires/Stopover within 1 Hour of Bilbao, for return April?

Pete

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
I've been watching this thread with interest.

One question springs to mind:

Why do you all pick the Bilbao/Portsmouth ferry and not the Santander/Plymouth ferry. Isn't it a quicker sailing on the Santander route? I heard Bilbao was 2 nights stay. Is it because Portsmouth gets you on the route home quicker as apposed to Plymouth??

Just curious.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I think you will find that Brittany Ferries which operate on the Plymouth/Santander route stop operating between Dec and Mar I don't know the actual dates but i believe they stop sometime in December and restart sometime in March but you will need to check their web site for more accurate information hope that helps

I've been watching this thread with interest.

One question springs to mind:

Why do you all pick the Bilbao/Portsmouth ferry and not the Santander/Plymouth ferry. Isn't it a quicker sailing on the Santander route? I heard Bilbao was 2 nights stay. Is it because Portsmouth gets you on the route home quicker as apposed to Plymouth??

Just curious.

Camperian

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Dorset - 6months, Spain - 6months
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 years
The travelling time is the same each way from Portsmouth. It's just the sailing times that make it 2 nights out, 1 night back. The journey time is a lot longer than Plymouth as the ferry has to slow down as it enters the Channel and actually goes right round the Isle of Wight.

Plymouth is quicker because of the above, also if you have a pet they have dedicated kennels on board and dog walking areas. You can not take pets on the Portsmouth run.

Oh and Plymouth is a lot more expensive.

Ian

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Plymouth-Santander

Hi

Plymouth to Santander is only available March to November.

Source:- Britany ferries Web Site.

Still Looking for Site/Stopover with 1 Hour of the Port of Bilbao 1Night Before Sailing back in March?

Any Suggestions?

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back