solar panel fitting with duct tape (1 Viewer)

rwhites1

Free Member
Dec 7, 2007
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Cl Dethleffs Globevan
Exp
since 2001
What does the forum think about fitting solar panels to roof with duct tape around the edges?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Depends how long you want them to stay there for & if the van will be moving?

A few hours whilst parked shouldn't be a problem.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Nails through the panels may short out, duct tape will obstruct a lot of the panels. Bungees are narrower and that's what I would go with.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Double sided tape (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
He doesn't say why he's asking , he's maybe bought a van that's already got them like that, otherwise there's a joke in there somewhere(y)

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Only a thought.... !!
You know most panels have an Aluminium edge around them, what if they have aquired some panels that don't have the metal edge and have silver tape sealing the edges.. Maybe made to be fitted in frames or something ??

Could be something like that..

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Try my usual solution! If in doubt give it a clout! if that don't work give it a jerk, an if all your efforts do not prevail, secure it with an Efin great Nail !!(y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think its an excellent idea.
i lost the wheelnuts on one wheel and duct tape has been keeping that wheel in place for many years.
dont ever need new tyres so never had to take the wheel off....i wrap duct tape around the tyre carcase and cut new tread in it.

As Geo once said.......the world is held together with duct tape.

Harrers

Free Member
Nov 23, 2014
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
C class lowline
Exp
Since 2011
I was going to post a link to YouTube of a video showing you can mount flexible panels onto canvas with velcro. Don't seem to be able to copy the link on my phone so you can search for it if you're interested.

It convinced me that flexible panels are the way forward but I hasten to add that I didn't use velcro or duct tape on my mh.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Got the flow chart for that one @Badknee
wd40-duct-tape-flow-chart.jpg

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Taking the question as it is written with no clue as to why duct tape should be used, I think the only way to answer is with another question and that is, how can it be possible for just one person to be so stupid.

On the other hand, if there were some reason given and some details as to how long for and whether its intended to drive on a road, there may be a sensible answer, as things stand, see above.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
It might be a good idea to use it for sealing off the two open sides under the panel, to prevent leaves and rain from collecting underneath and causing algae stains, and a humidity point. For me its the most difficult place to clean. I don't think it needs to be air cooled:unsure:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It might be a good idea to use it for sealing off the two open sides under the panel, to prevent leaves and rain from collecting underneath and causing algae stains, and a humidity point. For me its the most difficult place to clean. I don't think it needs to be air cooled:unsure:
I've got the same train of thought ... it's not to SECURE the solar panels, but to prevent some of the weather/wind getting under them afterwards ... Duct tape though could eventually flap around in the wind even just a little bit and it would be very annoying!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back