Angle Grinders (1 Viewer)

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Hi All,

I seem to remember a thread regarding Angle Grinders that could be used for removing a wheel clamp. I have found one that has 125mm blade and works on 850w power for under £40, its on its way and should be with me tomorrow. I'll test it and see how well it does its job and let people know. I've ordered it from Pro-Tect safety signs but its not on their online catalogue, you would have to call them.

EMail: sales@pro-tectsafetysigns.com
Tel: +44 (01934) 834 200
Fax: +44 (01934) 834 520

Address:
Pro-tect Safety Signs
Unit 2, Chestnut Barn,
Puxton Lane, Puxton,
Weston-super-Mare, Somerset,
BS24 6TA, England

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I'll test it and see how well it does its job and let people know.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Need a diamond impregnated cutting disc to cut the hardened Metal.

I've often thought about doing that .:winky:

These private firms are a little overzealous .:Angry:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I dont know the runup to this thread but I believe in the UK if you damage the clamp the you could be libel to a prosicution of criminal damage.

Doug...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Don't believe all the hype your hear about these so called hard locks..... and chains,
If brute force can beat them I don't think you'll have any trouble with a a/grinder against a locked wheel clamp..:thumb:

Check out the U-lock, picked with a felt pen..:Eeek:

[ame=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=aQSk4O5cgfs]YouTube - Captain Cropper mullers a chain.[/ame]

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I dont know the runup to this thread but I believe in the UK if you damage the clamp the you could be libel to a prosicution of criminal damage.

Doug...

I heard that too.Seems there's no law stopping them attaching it someone else's property though.

I'd personally be willing to risk it especially after a few conversations I've had in the past with some of these unsavory characters.:Angry:

It's crossed my mind in the past when I had to drive and park on customer's premises only to find I'd been clamped by the company that they had employed.:Doh:

I've even been given a Pass to display in the window and they STILL did it.

Last edited:

smifee

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
chandler's ford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
i used to give this sort of advice for a living.

in english law each case is judged on it's own merits so :-

if you have parked on private property & having seen the clearly displayed signs, advising of clamping in operation, then i believe the law of criminal damage is on the clamper's side.

if however the warning sign is not displayed clearly and you don't see it then you can claim a recognised defence to criminal damage - 'that you believed, at the time you caused the damage, that you were entitled to do so.'

i gave this advice, my details & a reference number advising the caller to give those details to the clamper.

a couple of times clampers rang in & spoke to my 'seniors'. they were told the advice was correct.

only once that i know of did the caller cut the clamp off. every other time that the signs weren't clear the clamper released the clamp without getting any money.

S

stagman

Deleted User
[Ryobi do an 18v 4.5 inch cordless angle grinder,it comes free with a combi drill £98 less discounts:thumb:. As far as I know if you can take the clamp off without damaging it you would be ok,not sure but think you would need to remove the tie bar.:thumb:

OP
OP
M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User

Doug...

lol, yeah, understood, I would never park in a place that was signed for clamping. The reason for having one is simply to avoid any of these scum bags that don't display signs or erect them after clamping a vehicle. As for criminal damage to the clamp, well if they wanted to prosecute me they would have to find me first, no fixed address and all. lol:Blush:

hobson

Free Member
Dec 9, 2008
UK
Funster No
I've only had this problem once, i used a battery powered Dremmel type tool, with an angle grinder disc attachment, just cut a section out of the chain.
got rid of the "offending item" at a scrapyard (they were happy to take it funnily enough!) as i was told you can be charged with criminal damage, then moved the vehicle. never heard anything else about it.
And just for the record, the clampers were a right pair of arrogant, unprofessional t**ts, it hardly makes you want to give them money.... :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
when looking for 'clamping' signs dont forget to look up as well......it has been known to put the signs high on a wall/building where you dont think to look.:Eeek:

if you damage the clamp you are liable.

get a garage to 'front wheel lift recover' the vehicle for you...cheaper than the w**kers....sorry, clampers, will charge you to release it....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
A friend of mine was clamped at Fleet Services on the M3 and as he had alloy wheels on his truck they for whatever reason best known to themselves clamped the tractor unit on the second steer axle!! When he came out he simply started up and raised the axle and drove off! Removed the clamp whenhe got back to the yard and never heard another word!!!

I have an old car and if it ever happened to me I would use our Hiab lorry (Crane attached) to lift up my clamped car and bring it home and inform the clampers if they did not remove the clamp I would!!!

Regards Pat

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A friend of mine was clamped at Fleet Services on the M3 and as he had alloy wheels on his truck they for whatever reason best known to themselves clamped the tractor unit on the second steer axle!! When he came out he simply started up and raised the axle and drove off! Removed the clamp whenhe got back to the yard and never heard another word!!!

Regards Pat

Brilliant,, :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Tickled I,,
:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread