Advice on buying a camera. (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2014
Maldon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2002
I'm looking to buy a camera ( present from wife) Basically I have very little experience of cameras. I had an Olympus SLR many years ago but never really had the time to use it fully. I'm now retired and looking to develop a new hobby so want something that has potential to develop from basic understanding a bit more sophisticated photography. In addition I don't want to lug loads of gear about. "laziness" is my retirement watchword. I have 2 possibilities, however advice on others possibilities would be welcome. (a) Fuji XE 1. Looks like it as loads of potential but maybe complecated ( b) Samsung NX 300.I have to say I'm not sure about WiFi on Samsung, also lack of viewfinder. However it does in my limited knowledge seem to have a reasonable spec.
Any advice would be very welcome
Solly

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
My missus gave me a Nikkon D3100 couple of years back its not a bad camera and takes good pickies comes with a good self adjusting lens as well so to start with it's like an automatic as you get used to it you can start doing all the things the pros do and get some quite good results.(y)

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
A bit like motorhomes in that choice is very personal, whatever you are most comfortable with.

Having had a number of cameras over the years I now do not want to carry stuff about and insist on a small compact. But I also like a powerful zoom, and a viewfinder for bright light.

Bought a Panasonic TZ60 recently, its brilliant. Despite being very small it has a 30* zoom, a viewfinder, very powerful auto, but still full manual if you want it, and can save in RAW .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you've still got the SLR kit, consider selling the lenses on eBay to subsidise your new camera. The Buy It Now prices for good condition SLR lenses by leading makers like Olympus are worth looking at.

You'll get as many different camera recommendations as there are users on here, but my reservation about the two you mention are they only have rear-mounted LED screens which become difficult to see on bright days. I find them infuriating myself. If you want to become more sophisticated in what you photograph I'd personally recommend something with an optical viewfinder rather than just a rear screen, but I'm sure others will contradict that.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
whats the budget...I'll ask someone I know thats in the business (has a few shops)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
In a similar situation yourself, I've just bought a secondhand Lumix GF2 on the recommendation of another Funster on another thread.
It might be worth a look at some of the reviews on Google.
As has been said, there is an enormous range to choose from.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
In a similar situation yourself, I've just bought a secondhand Lumix GF2 on the recommendation of another Funster on another thread.
It might be worth a look at some of the reviews on Google.
As has been said, there is an enormous range to choose from.

I think thats what I've got....

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
I Still have the odd look at the slides from my old Zenit SLR there must be loads around in peoples back room/attic.
I used a small digi camera as they,re so handy these days also had a nikon D40 SLR for years which has given me some great results but fancied an upgrade.
Delivered today Nikon D5300 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit plus Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens treated myself while I can afford it before retirement next year.There is a dummies guide for this model.
Good luck in your search.

OP
OP
Solly
May 13, 2014
Maldon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2002
Wow what prompt responses Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble. In answer to Judgementle my budget is about £500-00. I should say my wife's budget I'm not allowed to spend in case it encroaches on her clothing spend. Am I the only man with a wife that continually needs new jeans and tops ? :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A shade over your budget is the Olympus OMD M10 which I bought this year. You can get a pancake zoom for it which makes it a very compact little camera. I have a different lens for mine although it has the same zoom range as the pancake.
It has a rear lcd screen and a viewfinder, which is also lcd but works brilliantly and is as good as an optical viewfinder with the added advantage of tricks like highlighting the exact point of focus.
If you look in the blogs section and find our Two Plus Dog entry all the pictures in it were taken with this camera, the only odd one is the picture of the vultures which was taken with a 150 - 300 zoom, which on a four thirds camera is the equivalent of 300 - 600mm on a 35mm camera.

I didn't buy mine from these folk but this is the camera: Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If you think your wife may wish to upgrade in the future, then I would suggest buying second hand .. hence a better quality camera than that amount of money could buy new. Gaz43 may be able to help you if you pm him. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Wow what prompt responses Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble. In answer to Judgementle my budget is about £500-00. I should say my wife's budget I'm not allowed to spend in case it encroaches on her clothing spend. Am I the only man with a wife that continually needs new jeans and tops ? :)

They can be trained..if not there is always euthanasia. I started wife's training by banning tv soaps...works for us! She now knows who's the boss! Mind you haven't had a BJ since:(

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you get it at currys don't forget you can but a currys gift card at morrisons and get 10p a litre off next time you fill up for every £100 gift card (and still get the same price on the camera)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you're thinking of buying online beware of the "grey import" sites. If you see what you want advertised at a much lower price than elsewhere be very careful. If you buy from one of these sites you have absolutely no warranty cover or support at all if something goes wrong. These people also tend to have no physical UK/EU presence so you can also forget about Trading Standards and the Distance Selling Regs.

For checking prices Wex Photographic and John Lewis are usually the best guides. If anyone is undercutting either of them significantly then alarm bells should ring.

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Before you go jumping feet first into another SLR have a look at bridge cameras first, they can do a lot that an SLR can and have fantastic optical zooms and great picture quality. I bet you use one of the far more than you would any SLR, if you then find you still want an SLR then you will at least have a great general use easy to lug around camera. The only real downside with bridge cameras is that they have a slight delay on the shutter so aren't always good for fast action shots.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Or a "four thirds" is worth a look too

OP
OP
Solly
May 13, 2014
Maldon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2002
Thanks again every body particularly Devonbeekeeper. The Olympus you recommend looks great now I've got three choices :-( :))
solly

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Brownie 127, you just cant beat em ! trouble is no one develops the film roll anymore.
Phil

Oh yes they do, and the film's still available from Croatia but it's £10 a roll.

I've got quite a few of those cameras - nice-looking but (sadly) not especially valuable.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Or a "four thirds" is worth a look too
Yes, I've got one, and Olympus E-450 with the same benefits/quality etc as the full sized SLRs but not so big and heavy ... still can't' get my head round why they call it "four thirds" though! :rolleyes:

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
As already mentioned, the choice of camera is in some ways dependant on what subject matter you wish to shoot..........
For ease of carrying, esp if you have no wish to carry different lenses etc, a bridge or fixed lense compact would be worth looking at........and here I'd say X100 Fuji.

For interchangeable lense but still compact, with a good range of lenses, as you've already mentioned XE1 Fuji (or XM1 although there's no viewfinder, only rear screen).........or, give it a while have a look at the X-pro 1 Fuji, an amasing piece of kit :))

Yes, I am a Fuji camera user...........and proud to be so. :):)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Your first mention of a Fuji X-E1 is an excellent choice, combined with an 18-55mm lens will give you lots of flexibility and the ability to add more lenses if you want. Lots of people stick with the 18-55 though.
Fuji have a refurb shop, cameras are generally as good as new ones and come with a full 12 month warranty. Have a look at the link below.
http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/fujifilm-x-e1-18-55-xf-lens-kit-refurbished.html

If you can afford a bit more, the X-E2 is a great upgrade. Picture quality is superb on both and they are as easy or complicated to use as you want. Full auto, or full manual!
Someone mentioned an Olympus OMD EM10. Also a great camera, either would suit you fine. OMD 10 kit available from the link below. I have bought from both and can highly recommend them
http://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/olympus-om-d-e-m10-kit-x2814-42-ezx29-black-1720-p.asp

Allan

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
As a long time amateur photographer I have a Canon Digital SLR and a selection of lenses but its a lot to carry around but it can't be beaten for certain shots. My compact is a Leica (Panasonic) which has a fantastic optical zoom lens. Don't pay any heed to claims about digital zoom extending the range as digital zoom is rubbish and optical zoom is the most important for picture quality.

The main failing with my compact which is a very good one is the delay between pressing the shutter button to take the photo and the lens opening and closing. In anything involving movement or action the chances are you will miss the shot or have a blurred image. This is where my digital SLR has it beat every time!

With that warning make sure you try before you buy so you get what you want and won't be disappointed!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
If you are looking at a bridge camera try a Nikon P600 I am very happy with mine. I bought mine from Dixons who recommended it in preference to the similar Panasonic, it has a much more solid feel to it.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We are going to Croatia next year so I can get all the old rolls developed !
Phil

You can get most film sizes from 110 up to 120 developed here by people using old developing kit - I was speaking to someone who does it just the other day. In all seriousness I'd be interested in obtaining a few Croat EFKE 127 films for less than £10 a roll if you see any when you're over there.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
You can get most film sizes from 110 up to 120 developed here by people using old developing kit - I was speaking to someone who does it just the other day. In all seriousness I'd be interested in obtaining a few Croat EFKE 127 films for less than £10 a roll if you see any when you're over there.
Not going til Sept, but will take a look.
Phil

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Had shedloads of cameras over the years ... one of the best (won prizes with it) was a simple Canon Ixus 105 (compact) but now gone for a Sony Cybershot HX300 - amazing zoom; focuses down to 1mm;best pics ever. Rrp = £499 but got mine for £229.99 + £10 for 16g card.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
chap i know says he doesn't know that much as only owns the business. but a friend of his just bought this kit for wildlife etc...check reviews

Canon EOS 100D Twin Kit
Kit Includes Canon 100d with 18-55mm STM, Sigma DC 70-300mm, Hama Canberra 130, Samsung EVO 16gb, Plus Free 3 Year Warranty

A DSLR you’ll never want to leave behind.

The 100D is the baby of the family, boasting an APS-C sized sensor and is compatible with the current range of canon AF-S lenses.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
chap i know says he doesn't know that much as only owns the business. but a friend of his just bought this kit for wildlife etc...check reviews

Canon EOS 100D Twin Kit
Kit Includes Canon 100d with 18-55mm STM, Sigma DC 70-300mm, Hama Canberra 130, Samsung EVO 16gb, Plus Free 3 Year Warranty

A DSLR you’ll never want to leave behind.

The 100D is the baby of the family, boasting an APS-C sized sensor and is compatible with the current range of canon AF-S lenses.
My brother has one of those and is very pleased with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back