Electric underfloor heating (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
Has anyone used or thought of using electric underfloor heating mats in their campervans or motorhomes. They are available in different sizes and wattages and, if suitable, would be a good way of proving a low level of heating if staying on a site with ehu. Obviously would need to choose wattage within the capability of electric supply. May also be useful when laying up for the winter if electric supply available.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Can they be used on a wooden floor? Most of the ones I've seen are used over tiles or concrete.
I believe it can, but not directly over planked floorboards, and would add a couple of inches or more to the floor height due to the extra insulation required AND the new overfloor material.

All adding to the vans weight, of course

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Had ALDE wet water underfloor heating once...electric makes little sense to me..

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Have you seen what a mess wet water can make :). And, with a wet system you're heating water to heat the air. Electric heating is direct, with lower losses, that's if you're comparing both systems on electric.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Have you seen what a mess wet water can make
Its fine if you use the safe kind......

1209091427_05524.gif

geoffles

Free Member
Sep 9, 2014
Trafford Park
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
My friend did underfloor electric heating on his boat and laid laminate flooring over it. It works a treat when hes plugged in on shore power

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Have you seen what a mess wet water can make :). And, with a wet system you're heating water to heat the air. Electric heating is direct, with lower losses, that's if you're comparing both systems on electric.

But where do you get the 230 v all the time in a camper, plus elec being metered is becoming more common....with wet water central heating I was using cheap refillable LPG and could use it anywhere!:censored:

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thank you for your comments. I don't know the implications of fitting such a type of heating and I would guess that if it is possible then there would be someone on this forum that has done it.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think it could be done, you can get electric heating mats to lay on wooden floors but you would have to put something like 6mm ply over it so the floor would be raised a tad. My concern would be how it might cope with the vibration of travelling.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would guess that if it is possible then there would be someone on this forum that has done it.

Yes , you would think so, not much that hasn't been aired on here.. but to my knowledge not electric underfloor heating..

Your idea is certainly worthy of further investigation and if it's suitable for laying on top of a wooden floor then it has several benefits.. no space taken up, safer than a portable heater, an even heat around the van.. and little increase in payload.

Metered electric is becoming more popular but it will be many years before it becomes common place .. and if you are usually on sites with an EHU .. why not ..

it has my thumbs up.. let us know how you get on.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Where it was really nice was in the shower room on a cold morning....nice and toasty warm. Don't think I would trust 230 v heating in that environment:D

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Where it was really nice was in the shower room on a cold morning....nice and toasty warm. Don't think I would trust 230 v heating in that environment:D

why on earth not.. ? perfectly safe if installed correctly and protected with an RCD ..

at home we have an electric shower, as do millions of others, and and live to tell the tale.. :D

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I think underfloor heating is a great idea.. I'm surprised none of the mfrs have come up with it.. in fact I think the chances are there is a really good reason why they haven't.

Mind you, I am hardly ever on hook up so would be more interested in the wet water thing...which is what I am about to google

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
why on earth not.. ? perfectly safe if installed correctly and protected with an RCD ..

at home we have an electric shower, as do millions of others, and and live to tell the tale.. :D

Its the "IF" that worries me!:Eeek:

(I was a JIB registered spark in my youth :))

alde wet water really easier to be built into the camper...hard to install later

Last edited:

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
:eek:
Its the "IF" that worries me!:Eeek:

(I was a JIB registered spark in my youth :))

alde wet water really easier to be built into the camper...hard to install later

Yeah but when you, and most of us, we're on the tools circuits relied on a bit of wire between two screws :eek:. I still think water systems cause more damage when they fail. The protection systems haven't moved on like electric has. Agree on build ability, electric underfloor also only really feasible for self build.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Probably no reason why not but you would need to bear in mind that some electric mats, especially the lower wattage ones, are designed for and intended to act as, floor warmers not primary source heating. In non technical language that means that they will make the floor nice and warm but won't be powerful enough to affect the temperature of the room.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
From memory for primary heat you need between 150-200W/m2 depending on the type of floor and floor covering. Any less that that is just a floor warmer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back