LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having read several stories of Spanish hospitals not excepting the EHIC card in the past, I can confirm that its still excepted in Benidorm. I had a really bad case of gastroenteritis and finished up unconscious on the floor of the van last night. Ambulance was called and within 30 minutes I had seen a doctor at the local hospital and was put on a drip. No charge, not even for the ambulance and prescription. Just had a nice beef butty, the first thing I have had to eat in almost 3 days. Its still inside somewhere (y).

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Sorry to hear that you've been ill but pleased that the system works as it should.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Bloody hell Dave I popped into yours on way back from bar saw Pat wasn't the wine I left was it :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry to hear that you've been ill but pleased that the system works as it should.

Exactly, its always a worry for those of us, that for one reason or another are unable to get private medical insurance. As long as you have your passport and EHIC card to hand there are no holdups or delays.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Bloody hell Dave I popped into yours on way back from bar saw Pat wasn't the wine I left was it :)
Ooooh no pal, not opened it yet. I think it was something to do with that Mexican night on Saturday. Am just hoping I will be fit for the meal out on Thursday.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Sorry to hear that you have been unwell and glad you are getting sorted out in hospital.

Kath and Howie

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Too posh / rich a food on the weekend Dave ;);)

But glad to hear you are back and feeling better xx

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having read several stories of Spanish hospitals not excepting the EHIC card in the past.

It certainly worked for Dinah two years ago when she spent 3 days in Villajoyosa. Before she left she had to sign a claims form for the Brits to pay later.

The only problem being the language barrier, but that's our fault.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Too posh / rich a food on the weekend Dave ;);)

But glad to hear you are back and feeling better xx
Noooo, my dear. I have the constitution of a camel. Am amazed that any bugs have been able to attack my inner workings :D.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Glad you're okay. (y)

Can confirm it works in Valencia too. Jan was rushed into hospital when we were at MotoGP a couple of weeks back great service great treatment and just took EHIC card no.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Thank you for all the reports on the EHIC card that is really reasureing, you read so many scare story's 3 confirmations there from people I know, that will do me.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Thank you for all the reports on the EHIC card that is really reasureing, you read so many scare story's 3 confirmations there from people I know, that will do me.

If nothing else it just goes to show that we cannot believe everything we read on forums Carol. I know I had read somewhere that the Spanish were no longer excepting the EHIC card and that was why I put off going for medical treatment. My worries were completely unfounded however, and in future I will have no hesitation in using the excellent facilities here in Spain. I know for a fact, had I been in the UK when this unfortunate thing happened, I would still be waiting in A&E with all the drunks and junkies.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Over the years traveling with the kids we have used it several times in both France and Spain and had excellent service.. Children with bits of shell in their eye, cuts to feet, all done no problem.. I had an ear infection, probably picked up in a site swimming pool, also treated in Spain..

While traveling within the EU there is absolutely no point or need to have private health insurance.. The only difference is that in the event of your demise it will repatriate the body.

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Over the years traveling with the kids we have used it several times in both France and Spain and had excellent service.. Children with bits of shell in their eye, cuts to feet, all done no problem.. I had an ear infection, probably picked up in a site swimming pool, also treated in Spain..

While traveling within the EU there is absolutely no point or need to have private health insurance.. it provides nothing more except that in the event of your death it will repatriate the body.
My sentiments entirely Jim. In the unfortunate event of my demise in Spain, there are instructions set in place to cremate and if the family want my remains, then they can collect them at the same time as the van. If the microwave broke down, would you pay to have it repatriated to the UK. I think not. The body is only an empty box after all.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Glad to hear that all is now well with you Dave, and that the EHIC card is accepted.
We will be arriving in Benidorm next week and your experience of using the card is very reassuring to us.
Look forward to seeing you soon,
Brisey & Pamelaaar.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The problem with Spain allegedly not accepting the EHIC card has been with people being in the country for many months and using the card for on going non urgent treatment. Once your card is registered for your first visit your subsequent visits will be logged and after numerous visits (and especially over three months) questions could be asked. It's this abuse of the card that has caused some problems for some people some of the time. For one off illnesses or accidents there should be no problem.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Hope you are feeling better!

This a happy forum so I don't wana to make pep's cry....but I have so many things wrong with me, if I was a horse they would shoot me!:)

Have used the card a few times in Italy and France it is a godsend!

Don't you have to make sure you get taken to villajoyese? public hospital

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Glad your better and sorted..

And it's made me better reading about the EHIC being accepted, that's twice it's been confirmed today here on fun.. As you say just goes to show how the incorrect information can spread.. Even I am guilty of passing on some of it..

Out of interest, can I ask... which hospital ?????

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hope you are feeling better!

This a happy forum so I don't wana to make pep's cry....but I have so many things wrong with me, if I was a horse they would shoot me!:)

Have used the card a few times in Italy and France it is a godsend!

Don't you have to make sure you get taken to villajoyese? public hospital
I had no choice in which hospital I was taken to, as I was not well enough to argue. The ambulance took me to the clinic just down the road and I was treated there immediately with no questions asked other than my passport and EHIC card. I keep my EHIC card in my passport wallet, so no confusion .

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had no choice in which hospital I was taken to, as I was not well enough to argue. The ambulance took me to the clinic just down the road and I was treated there immediately with no questions asked other than my passport and EHIC card. I keep my EHIC card in my passport wallet, so no confusion .

That's why it was all EHIC :). it's a public medical centre along with the hospital down at Villajoyosa.... See the attached link, they are building a new one even closer to you.! Bad news it's on the car park where a lot wildcamp in Beni..

I have read / heard tales of thinks like hotels earning commission from calling private ambulances etc..

http://www.benidormallyearround.com/4977-healthcare-in-benidorm

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Sorry to hear this Dave,,,, but glad you are on the mend.. (y)

I blame Smudger... :giggler::winky:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sorry Dave..Dont want to hi-jack your thread...But may be useful to know..

Here is one thing I read.... Ref the private hospitals and ambulance..
http://www.benidormallyearround.com/4147-emergency-health-care-entitlements
This just goes to show that by using the same campsite for years they look after you. After I passed out Pat ran down to the office and asked for an ambulance. They automatically sent for the free ambulance and not the private one, knowing what the requirements are. Had I been in a hotel or a campsite I had not been known at, they would possibly have sent for a private ambulance.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Noooo, my dear. I have the constitution of a camel. Am amazed that any bugs have been able to attack my inner workings :D.

Dave them there little bugs get to us all at some time or other but at least it it was good quality foods , prob was not having enough bubbles , that would have kept you safe... Ps hope you haven't been drinking my stock lolol glad you are ok :nod:

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
This just goes to show that by using the same campsite for years they look after you. After I passed out Pat ran down to the office and asked for an ambulance. They automatically sent for the free ambulance and not the private one, knowing what the requirements are. Had I been in a hotel or a campsite I had not been known at, they would possibly have sent for a private ambulance.

Thank you Dave for that info, us as newbies wintering would have not known there was a choice, possibly less problems knowing if there was a choice.. Life or death moments doesn't come into it of course

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
They automatically sent for the free ambulance and not the private one.

Which, of course, you rejected in a booming voice "A PUBLIC AMBULANCE FOR AN RMB OWNER, GET THEE GONE, I WOULD RATHER DIE".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back