GREECE (1 Viewer)

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Going to Greece April next year, so planning now to cheer ourselves up !! P***ing down at the moment !! Thinking of catching ferry from Ancona or Brindisi in Italy, to Igmounitsa at the top end of Greece and staying in Greece for 3/4 months.. It seems the "camp on board in your van" option is the best so far.. You plug into the ship for EHU.. Anyone done it ?? Also not sure if its best to drive the extra 4hrs 50 mins from Ancona down to Brindisi to save crossing time, or not.. Not able to check ferry costs yet, as time table only goes to March.
Any info or experiences will be gratefully received... Mitch and Jenny.. (y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is on our agenda for sometime so interested as well, someone told us going the other side of the sea from Italy was best, not sure but think it's Croatia then you don't need ferry, is this an option?

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Have been going to greece for the past 4 years. We usually go from Ancona to Patras or Igounemitsa. Go to Venice first and camp at Camping Miramare, then a leisurely drive down to Ancona. If you go to Igounemitsa, travel to Meteore and then down to Delphi. We go to Kefallonia and travel back direct to Brindisi and across to Pompeii and then on to Rome. This year we are travelling via Prague and Budapest through Serbia and down to Greece.
My friend travelled through Croatia and Montenegro, Albania and then Greece. He made a mistake by taking the so called coast road (not recommended ). We stop at motorway service areas on the way down to Ancona- usually the last one before Ancona is ideal to stop the night.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Chaser. We could do that I suppose , but we were going to do Croatia as separate trip.
In a previous life I took my then family right down as you say via Croatia, and got to Naphlion right at the very bottom of Greece. But trying to go direct this time. Ta..

Hi Rikfos. Looks like a good trip you have planned. When do you start ??
The last time I was in Croatia was 1975 when Tito was the gaffer, then did the Greek trip a year later. Was working then (Forces) so only had 3 weeks each time.. This will be the first time I have taken Jenny..
I do fancy a polish and Slovak trip, but will do that separately too..
Enjoy. Mitch.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Go to Venice first and camp at Camping Miramare, then a leisurely drive down to Ancona. If you go to Igounemitsa, travel to Meteore and then down to Delphi. We go to Kefallonia and travel back direct to Brindisi and across to Pompeii and then on to Rome.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. That's delicious food for thought.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Chaser. We could do that I suppose , but we were going to do Croatia as separate trip.
In a previous life I took my then family right down as you say via Croatia, and got to Naphlion right at the very bottom of Greece. But trying to go direct this time. Ta..

Hi Rikfos. Looks like a good trip you have planned. When do you start ??
The last time I was in Croatia was 1975 when Tito was the gaffer, then did the Greek trip a year later. Was working then (Forces) so only had 3 weeks each time.. This will be the first time I have taken Jenny..
I do fancy a polish and Slovak trip, but will do that separately too..
Enjoy. Mitch.

We leave 24th April to Dunkerque and back, maybe on the 29th September.
Camping on board on Minoan Lines to Greece. Back on European Seaways from Kefallonia to Brindisi. If you go to Greece it will be HOT!!, in the sun it can get up to plus 40 degrees:)

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We leave 24th April to Dunkerque and back, maybe on the 29th September.
Camping on board on Minoan Lines to Greece. Back on European Seaways from Kefallonia to Brindisi. If you go to Greece it will be HOT!!, in the sun it can get up to plus 40 degrees:)
Fantastic.... Thanks Rik..

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Be careful where you park in Croatia cos if the police consider that they have to move it and do they may also then claim they don't have it. I know this because a hire firm recently had two vans pinched. The locals said the police had moved them but when asked the police claimed not to have them. That was a couple of months ago and they've still not been found

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Ta Joncris. I think it will be the ferry..

Thanks for the "heads-up" Rikfos. Delphi looks stunning !!! But I think we will hug the coast and come up from Itea to there...
Cos we are "beach bums" !!!:D

Thanks Brian.. I will look up Don madges info...

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Don't forget Olympia and Epidaurus . Worth visiting Athens as well. Very good campsite in Athens with a bus stop outside the site.
As you say come down from Igounemitsa hugging the coast, many freestops on the way then over to Itea and up to Delphi. Look up Magbaz- excellent site with loads of info.

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Yes camping on board is great ,you have the run of the boat and your own key for the camping deck so it's only fellow campers on your deck. As mentioned by Hilldweller, Don Madge is the man we followed his advise on our trip to Turkey first class info . Magbaz travel has lots of info on Greece and you will find Don Madge there as well . Enjoy
Dave & June. dotsontour

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Agree with Rifcos about the coast road - absolutely fantastic views but it can get hairy in places (and hard on the brakes)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We travel overland to Crete every year (twice this year - we're in Crete as I write) and prefer to travel with Superfast/Anek using 'Camping on Board' which means you sleep in your MH, have the use of toilets and showers by the car deck and can use the bars, shops and restaurants on board. I was under the impression that Camping on Board with Minoan was actually Camping All Inclusive, ie you stay in a cabin but have access to your MH. I think this is because Minoan don't have open decks. We've done both the Ancona and Bari crossing but prefer the Ancona one as it's a long boring drive through Italy if you stay on the main drag and by the time you get to Ancona you're usually ready for a rest. We always disembark at Igoumenitsa, mainly because it's better to get the dogs off the ferry as soon as possible, but it's a lovely drive on that side of Greece. Can highly recommend Camping Delphi. Earlier this year we travelled via Slovenia, Croatia, Montenegro and Albania - fantasic 30 day trip and no problems whatsoever apart from some Albanian roads which can be a bit dodgy. If you have any specific questions please ask.

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks Mpdcymru..
Not too keen on massive drops !!!

Thanks Dude..
Very a informative post mate, we won't use Minoan then, as we want to" plug-in" out on deck and sleep in the van...Rough' cost Ancona to Igoumenitsa ??
Enjoy your time on Crete, I have good memories from a 1990s visit...
Mitch. (y)

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks Rik and Dotsontour. Getting excited now !!!
Rough cost of ferry anyone ???
Depending on the month about £500 - £600 return. Check that your booking is for camping on board. An Austrian friend of mine books with his own travel agent. I have always booked online, usually about February with either Minoan Lines or Superfast. The fare to Igounemitsa and Patras is exactly the same.

rikfos

Free Member
Feb 13, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Minoan Lines do camping on board and all inclusive- camping on board I find is the best, but can be noisy, with the noise of the engines.

Albi1

Free Member
Mar 3, 2015
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks dude worked it out and booked it. Looking forward to the trip down western Italy across to Bari and across to Greece.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Were are going in September Ancona to Patras on Miloan lines camping package, that give you a 2 berth cabin & 30% discount off meals & beverages.
Book before Feb to get early booking discount, also get over 60's discount, join Miloan Lines Bonus Club (free) for another 10% off.
When we booked in jan paid in Euro cost us £399, the Euro is weaker now so would be even cheaper.

Used Viamare, to book ring them they will email a list of options and tell you about the discounts.

Albi1

Free Member
Mar 3, 2015
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks lennyhb unfortunately already booked this afternoon. I should have waited.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Would love to do this trip.

Quite fancy it myself as I have sailed throughout the Ionian and out of Athens around the Aegean for many years, I think it is so beautiful from the sea that I've been spoiled by it all.

Are there no worries about the fiscal situation in Greece at the moment, could that impact poorly on your plans?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Quite fancy it myself as I have sailed throughout the Ionian and out of Athens around the Aegean for many years, I think it is so beautiful from the sea that I've been spoiled by it all.

Are there no worries about the fiscal situation in Greece at the moment, could that impact poorly on your plans?

By the time I get to retire the Greek Gods will have made a comeback.:D

OP
OP
MitchandJenny
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Decided to go overland to Greece now. (MAYBE) the ferry disaster had a BIT to do with the decision !! :whistle:..
Luxemberg, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Serbia,Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania and down to the coast just South of Igoumenitsa. Then start "tiptoeing" along the coast for 3 or 4 months.. :).

Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Decided to go overland to Greece now. (MAYBE) the ferry disaster had a BIT to do with the decision !! :whistle:..
Luxemberg, Germany, Austria, Croatia, Serbia,Bosnia, Montenegro and Albania and down to the coast just South of Igoumenitsa. Then start "tiptoeing" along the coast for 3 or 4 months.. :).
Hi, having driven to Greece last year, I would personal choose a route through Croatia, then Montenegro , Albania[Lake Shkoder Resort] then Macedonia [Lake Ohrid, Camping Sunrise] then into Greece we found the roads a lot better this way than the coast road, into Greece.

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus

Hope you have a wonderful trip...the places on the overland route should be really interesting..(y)

We are heading back to Greece again shortly using a Superfast ferry [camping on board] from Bari to Igoumenitsa [and back..hopefully!!:D].

If concern re ferry safety is your prime reason for going overland my own feeling is that I'd be more worried about the difficulty of pursuing a claim / being claimed against on the local third party insurance that you will have to buy at the borders of non EU countries on your route....surely far more risky than the chance of getting sunk between Italy and Greece?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back