Channel Tunnel or Ferry? (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
Just thought I would throw this out and see what the favourite option is in regard to price, ease of access onto ferry / Train., good or bad experiences.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Personally we prefer the tunnel because its quicker, however our main criterion is always price! If we have enough Tesco points to exchange for travel vouchers we go via the tunnel otherwise its the ferries every time purely on price.

Ferries are always cheaper in our experience.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Would use the Tunnel every time, however price is an issue and so a good deal on the ferries sometimes wins.

Brisey.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Would use the Tunnel every time, however price is an issue and so a good deal on the ferries sometimes wins.

Brisey.
And us, but for a day trip or a couple of days the tunnel is sometimes cheaper, as now you can go for £56 return, can't do that on ferry, and we also use tesco, so could easily make this one free, only need £20 in tokens

Upvote 0

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Always Transmanche (DFDS) for us. Dieppe/Newhaven. Although we are usually heading for west Wales from Lower Normandie, it always works out substantially cheaper than the BF crossings even taking into account the extra fuel/mileage. Only downside is the extra miles on grotty roads & traffic on the other side (n) ...

and the 20% discount for over 60s, off the already good prices, is an added incentive!

Upvote 0

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
tunnel for us 1 episode of mrs browns boys on the tv and we are there :)
when we took into account the ferry price then we will always have a meal and the ferry now becomes more expensive

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Peter48
Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
Thanks Guys, useful info, I do like the sound of relaxing on the boat chilling, also the speed of the tunnel seems a very good option, it will end up being what me Mrs wants anyhow!

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
For the last 4 years it's been tunnel for us as it was only slightly more expensive. However this year we've gone back to the ferry because the tunnel has got too expensive and we can't justify the extra cost last time 3 times more expensive.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just thought I would throw this out and see what the favourite option is in regard to price, ease of access onto ferry / Train., good or bad experiences.

You are obviously thinking Calais.

But if going to Spain don't overlook Santander. Takes the mileage and grind out of getting to northern Spain. Although the ticket price is high the real cost is about the same either route. Few people accept what the real cost of travel is in their MH, it's much more then mpg.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
For the last 4 years it's been tunnel for us as it was only slightly more expensive. However this year we've gone back to the ferry because the tunnel has got too expensive and we can't justify the extra cost last time 3 times more expensive.
This is true, don't know where the difference has come in, still prefer tunnel but must admit we have gone back to ferry for a couple of trips this year when as you say tunnel was three times dearer

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
This is true, don't know where the difference has come in, still prefer tunnel but must admit we have gone back to ferry for a couple of trips this year when as you say tunnel was three times dearer

Very true Chaser. The tunnel real cheap deals at :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: o'clock seem to have disappeared, yet the trains are almost empty (in our experience). Can't see how that can be sustained long term whatever the Business Plan is.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Tunnel every time, speed, convenience...you can keep the summer cattle ships! :)

have a look at my thread regards sharing the frequent traveller scheme over on France Forum. £46 + £11 motorhome supplement per single trip

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Tunnel every time, speed, convenience...you can keep the summer cattle ships! :)

have a look at my thread regards sharing the frequent traveller scheme over on France Forum. £46 + £11 motorhome supplement per single trip

We booked ferry last time in the car and hated it so were going to go back to the tunnel ... price changed our mind. Now we plan to share a frequent traveller next year..

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Many years since we went to the mainland of Europe. When the time comes we will look at options and then decide. A lot will depend on convenience and how we feel.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
tunnel for us every time. One thing no one has mentioned is the possibility of grounding on the loading ramp of a ferry, (no ramps for the tunnel)I have heard of a number of people who sustained damage, depends on your ground clearance I guess. Then of course as JJ would say there is the blue wobbly stuff to consider if you are poor sailor, not the best way to start or end a holiday if you are afflicted.
Nothing easier than the tunnel especially if you have a dog on board.

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Many years since we went to the mainland of Europe. When the time comes we will look at options and then decide. A lot will depend on convenience and how we feel.

Pd once you've been on the tunnel with the minimum hassle factor it's very difficult to return to the ferries. Price is obviously an issue for us all but convenience often offsets that. Plus being Welsh (tight) we travel at :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep: o clock, it suits us as going round the M25 at 0300 is almost pleasant.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I've used ferry, hovercraft and tunnel. Ferry was okay (Southampton to Cherbourgh was once a fav. route) as long as it wasn't too rough, modern ferries are better. Hovercraft cheap, fast but sooooo noisy. Tunnel easy and fast but I hate being unable to see out so if there was to be a delay I would be a basket case.... we also did a crossing on a seacat which was probably the best of all.

I do know that there is no longer a hovercraft service to France. Pity as it was fun.

If going any route other that Calais then there isn't much choice anyway as to method.

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I would have loved to try hovercraft. Sounds amazing. The twofold co 've hence for us is being able to get there quicker and being able to get the next train after you arrive instead of being stuck to a particular time. We have risked the earlier ferry for this week's trip and are already scared we will miss it. Never to worry about on the chunnel

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I've used ferry, hovercraft and tunnel. Ferry was okay (Southampton to Cherbourgh was once a fav. route) as long as it wasn't too rough, modern ferries are better. Hovercraft cheap, fast but sooooo noisy. Tunnel easy and fast but I hate being unable to see out so if there was to be a delay I would be a basket case.... we also did a crossing on a seacat which was probably the best of all.

I do know that there is no longer a hovercraft service to France. Pity as it was fun.

If going any route other that Calais then there isn't much choice anyway as to method.

And much less choice of Ferry companies. They all seem to have come to an 'understanding' with each other over routes.(n)

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've decided not to use ferries next year unless we have to as the last couple of crossings have been a bit rough and the thought of feeling sick as made me look at the tunnel.
If pre pay 10 tickets the cost is about £60 each way.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I would have loved to try hovercraft. Sounds amazing. The twofold co 've hence for us is being able to get there quicker and being able to get the next train after you arrive instead of being stuck to a particular time. We have risked the earlier ferry for this week's trip and are already scared we will miss it. Never to worry about on the chunnel

We were once on a hovercraft that was attempting to break the record for the crossing. Didn't manage it but it was a fantastic experience. It was the second fastest commercial crossing ever!!! We also were on one of the last ever hovercraft crossings. I was so sad when the service stopped.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I would always use the tunnel but for cost. Whether car or MH it is too dear compared to the ferry , which I hate.
I certainly wouldn't consider that Plymouth -Santander is equal in cost to driving. Last year they wanted nigh on 800€ return Santander-Plymouth before even adding on a cabin etc. Then you have to add on the cost of the 800kms to get to Santander. In the car using toll roads it costs me around 380€ to North Devon + ferry ( last year £44 ) & in the MH about 200€ + ferry .( This year 75€)

Upvote 0

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We were once on a hovercraft that was attempting to break the record for the crossing. Didn't manage it but it was a fantastic experience. It was the second fastest commercial crossing ever!!! We also were on one of the last ever hovercraft crossings. I was so sad when the service stopped.

Similar experience when a Danish company ran a large and very fast catamaran service from Dover to Boulogne. The crossing was brisk and pleasant (in calm weather) but the Ferry companies squeezed until the operation went bust. The crossing was often early but the cat berth was always blocked by something and we never actually got off on this side on time. In Boulogne the port authority made boarding and disembarkation as smooth as possible (even when Calais was blocked by strikers of one sort or another) but I felt that vested interests were at work in Dover.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If cost is a major consideration they you won't beat some of the ferry deals, however we use the Tunnel and Tesco vouchers, the cheapest fare for next year seems to be £75 (single) and these aren't at silly times either, I've booked sensible times in March and April, out 18.50 (could have chosen another time between 18.00 and 20.00) and back at 8.50 (although I could have made it any time up to 10.00 if I'd wanted to), both on week days. The most annoying thing is that the tunnel costs £2 extra per dog now for a return ... !

Our dogs of course much prefer the Tunnel as its quicker and less frightening for them too. Also, if you miss your train you are put on another without a problem, can't do that with the ferries as they'd charge you, and the gap between the ferries is so much longer you'd have a good few hours wait in any case.

We did the ferry to Ireland (no tunnel available!) and it did my head in ... very noisy, long journey and takes ages to load and unload as you have to be there a lot earlier than you do for the tunnel (same as Dover and Calais crossings). Food and drink at extortionate prices and in effect it felt like we were just wasting time when we could instead be enjoying more holiday time or getting back home ...

Whilst I have enough Tesco vouchers to exchange for Tunnel crossings I'll stick with it!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back