What do you want from a disabled Motorhome / campervan? (1 Viewer)

guyd

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
somerset
Funster No
MH
Self built
Exp
ten years
Hi

long time lurker, first post.

Im looking to try to build a few motorhomes for disabled people - as my wife is disabled (T6 complete paraplegic) - now I know her requirements (nag nag nag...) but thats not necessarily what any one else wants.

I hope this isnt considered spam, as I'm not 'selling' anything, just doing some market research.

Can you tell me what YOU want as a disabled owner? My mrs is insistent on being able to drive, and turn around in the living area for example.

thanks

Guy

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Very fine balancing act that many have tried before with varying results.

I viewed one at a dealer out of curiosity, at the time toying with the idea of adding one to the hire fleet as I had received a few requests from people with mobility problems.

The one I saw put me right off the idea to be honest. Whilst it had room, and was built for 4 occupants - the shower/toilet was largely dominent in the centre of the van with everything else squeezed in around it. The only dignity offered was a shower curtain - and if you had others with you, their legs would be in the shower with the person using it. I would also imagine any oblusions would permeate around the van quickly, so privacy was not even considered.

Therefore, I would say - If you are going to do it, do it with dignity! Offer al;l the privacy you would wish for, and try to keep it as 'normal' as possible for the users sake. Just because they are having mobility problems, doesn't make them an animal.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
It may be of benefit if you make contact with your local Community Transport operator or the Community Transport Association http://www.ctauk.org/ or even blag a ticket to the annual Mobility roadshow Broken Link Removed
Or even your local disability group.
When I was designing vehicles our aim was to make the passenger part of the rest of the vehicle passenger and not stuck in the back like a piece of luggage.
I did see a lethal 'disabled' conversion where the tracking to secures the wheelchair was screwed into the floor with coach screws an not bolted through with spreader plates.

OP
OP
G

guyd

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
somerset
Funster No
MH
Self built
Exp
ten years
Thanks - the common theme from bigfoot and rainbow chasers seems to be dignity / normality. I am very much of the opinion that disabled people should be able, within reason, to be able to do anything an able bodied person should.

I live on a watermill / farm and swmbo is able to do 90% of the stuff round here - ok, she cant change light bulbs, but I cant cook.... :Doh:

Im looking at a new Fiat Ducato at the moment, with possibly air suspension so that it can have a ramp instead of a lift (the ramp needs to be 1:20 (according to CAE) and a standard ducato floor is 500mm from the ground making the ramp 10 metres long!) Interestingly, transport for london states a 1:8 ramp for their buses which only means a 4 metre ramp..... :Eeek:

Current design is bathroom at the back in its own enclosed room, then living / bedroom in the middle (so if necessary, can get from bathroom to bed as short as possible - my mrs gets dressed by flailing around on the bed like a beached fish....) then cooking etc at the front, leaving lots of turning space and transfer space to get onto the drivers and passenger seats.

Only looking to sleep two at the moment, across the van (metal to metal is 1796mm or 70 3/4" or nearly 5'11" which will have to be adequate ;)

thanks for the thoughts so far, its appreciated.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Thanks - the common theme from bigfoot and rainbow chasers seems to be dignity / normality. I am very much of the opinion that disabled people should be able, within reason, to be able to do anything an able bodied person should.

I live on a watermill / farm and swmbo is able to do 90% of the stuff round here - ok, she cant change light bulbs, but I cant cook.... :Doh:

Im looking at a new Fiat Ducato at the moment, with possibly air suspension so that it can have a ramp instead of a lift (the ramp needs to be 1:20 (according to CAE) and a standard ducato floor is 500mm from the ground making the ramp 10 metres long!) Interestingly, transport for london states a 1:8 ramp for their buses which only means a 4 metre ramp..... :Eeek:

Current design is bathroom at the back in its own enclosed room, then living / bedroom in the middle (so if necessary, can get from bathroom to bed as short as possible - my mrs gets dressed by flailing around on the bed like a beached fish....) then cooking etc at the front, leaving lots of turning space and transfer space to get onto the drivers and passenger seats.

Only looking to sleep two at the moment, across the van (metal to metal is 1796mm or 70 3/4" or nearly 5'11" which will have to be adequate ;)

thanks for the thoughts so far, its appreciated.
On the new fiats stable they claim a 6 ft 4 ins width ??? yep theyare the widest vans around but adding lowering air sus isgoing to cost a lot :Eeek:On my oldambulance that job is already done inc ramp with a internal width of 6 ft 6 ins :winky:-could well be a good donner van :thumb:
terry

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Good luck with your project, we have built quite a few vehicles for disabled customers over the years some just requiring the odd hand grip fitted to ones with wheelchair access etc, we also built most of the patient transport vehicles for East of England NHS Trust, all the ambulances were based on Renault Masters / Vauxhall Movanos nice low floors but we also fitted air suspensions to them this enabled the rear to lower allowing shorter ramps to be used, most were only as high as the rear doors when stowed, but we did fit some that were folding ramps giving a gentler slope but I very much doubt if even these were longer than 3 metres in length when in use, One thing we did find with the exception of the ambulances that every one requires something different so working with the customer and getting them to try different set ups etc before finalising everything and completing the build is a must.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Space

For my wheelchair bound husband he wants room to move around in a wheelchair preferably without bashing into the cupboards etc. A roomy wet room with shower chair. Now we feel if it's a four berth van then the shower room should be in the middle as you don't want everyone traipsing through the bedroom in the middle of the night to use the loo, so either two convertible seating areas either end, or a fixed bed at one end. It's a problem as we both want different things. I like sleeping with my man, but if we do that then the stowage of the wheelchair at night becomes a problem. I will have to access the loo at night and would prefer to keep my shins and toes intact. When the bed problem is solved we move on to the space problem. I do not want to be tripping over the wheelchair, or having to ask Steve to move, everytime I want to make a drink, or step outside, cook a meal, see to the dogs, so I want space in the living area. Steve wants a wheelchair lift not a ramp. He feels this enables him to take a coffee outside and come in independently if I am not around (dog walking or shopping etc. It's the discussion we are having at the moment. It's why I want a slide out, but he's not keen. I want to look at Winnebagos etc, he wants to stay British and short. I can see all the reasons for and against on both sides and it's giving me a headache! :Eeek:

K8ELIZABETH

Free Member
Jul 10, 2014
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi New to Motorhome Fun..... getting excited about my new wheelchair frindly motorhome........Ive gone through the same deliberations.... my questions and requirements were answered by Coachbuilt GB.

They adapt standard motorhomes to your requirements.... really helpful bunch couldn't recommend enough.

Steveonley

Free Member
May 14, 2014
Bromsgrove
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 636L
Exp
I got my adapted Swift Sundance 636L from Coachbuilt in Warwickshire at a cost of £80,000. Worth looking at for ideas but they gut the Motorhome and build it around wheelchair users needs.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
My Campervan self build is being done with my disabled partner in mind, so room for her rough terrain mobility scooter is a major requirement but in answer to your question we feel that the ability to charge the scooter is a necessity. After all we'll be on holiday, wild camping or on sites like The Great Dorset Steam Fair where there is no mains charging available but the scooter is a must.

Here's wishing you great success with your quest...Robert & Hazel.

Reactions: hja

gavel

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
4 years
We have an Auto Cruise Starspirit 2 berth. Sue has MS and cannot walk, We have a Milford hoist from Autochair £350 on ebay, we have hinged the shower room door to make a wider access and use a Ross Return a glorified sack barrow from our OT to transport Sue up and down the van. We also have a portapotti which we can use as a commode between the beds. We either transport a Pride Apex 4 mph full suspension on the bike rack without battery pack or with a trailer carry a ProRider Road King plus the Pride. We regularly travel to France to walk the canals or go to Scotland and walk "Walking with Wheels" by Eva McCracken a brilliant book of walks. Try "Miles without Stiles" for walks in the Lake District.

campingcar9

Free Member
Nov 29, 2011
new milton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 1978
only just come across your post I have ms not completely wheelchair bound but my main need is for a cassette loo ,it will be interesting to see what you design in the end ,I'll watch this space campingcar9

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
I got my adapted Swift Sundance 636L from Coachbuilt in Warwickshire at a cost of £80,000. Worth looking at for ideas but they gut the Motorhome and build it around wheelchair users needs.

Wow that was expensive! I hope it included the cost of a new Sundance. Was it the cost of additional equipment for the disabled that ramped up the price?
ezee

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
Wow that was expensive! I hope it included the cost of a new Sundance. Was it the cost of additional equipment for the disabled that ramped up the price?
ezee

We were quoted £97 k to make a Swift Kontiki 695 wheelchair friendly. This was to install a cassette lift, widen the door make the shower room a wet room, tip the bed up, LPG Gas conversion, tow bar, automatic, (£4000) tip up bed, satellite TV system, plus 2 TVs, and so on. The whole thing costs about £30 k on top of the on the road cost of the Kontiki. They say the addition of a wide door and the cassette lift uses up the discounted VAT the and the rest costs a further 20% . They have to make a profit too. But it's steep and part of the reason we backed off.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
We have an Auto Cruise Starspirit 2 berth. Sue has MS and cannot walk, We have a Milford hoist from Autochair £350 on ebay, we have hinged the shower room door to make a wider access and use a Ross Return a glorified sack barrow from our OT to transport Sue up and down the van. We also have a portapotti which we can use as a commode between the beds. We either transport a Pride Apex 4 mph full suspension on the bike rack without battery pack or with a trailer carry a ProRider Road King plus the Pride. We regularly travel to France to walk the canals or go to Scotland and walk "Walking with Wheels" by Eva McCracken a brilliant book of walks. Try "Miles without Stiles" for walks in the Lake District.

thank you for the recommendations of the books, shall try and get hold of copies..
it can be a bit disheartening when you go somewhere that is supposed to be disabled friendly and then come up against a stile, steps or something and have to turn back..
really think that those who say that somewhere is accessible spend the day in a wheelchair and see for themselves..

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
We were quoted £97 k to make a Swift Kontiki 695 wheelchair friendly. This was to install a cassette lift, widen the door make the shower room a wet room, tip the bed up, LPG Gas conversion, tow bar, automatic, (£4000) tip up bed, satellite TV system, plus 2 TVs, and so on. The whole thing costs about £30 k on top of the on the road cost of the Kontiki. They say the addition of a wide door and the cassette lift uses up the discounted VAT the and the rest costs a further 20% . They have to make a profit too. But it's steep and part of the reason we backed off.

it's not often that i rant or swear, but jeezus wept, am truly appalled at the quote you were given, how the hell can they justify that price?
was that including the cost of a new vehicle as well, and if it was then everything should have been vat free..
and i find it appalling also that so much disability and mobility equipment is so damned expensive, it seems to have no relation to the cost of component parts, which often are quite cheap, but they know that they have you by the short and curlies because without it you're buggered..

i had a basic conversion done on my van for six thousand by a company in kent that convert vans to ambulances, disabled adapted mini busses for care homes and charities etc..it didn't include the cost of the (secondhand) van though, that started life as a lwb citroen relay builders panel van, i bought that separately on their recommendation for what i needed..

the work that they did was..

remove bulkhead..
replace double seat for a single swivel seat which they found and bid for me brand new on ebay, which i paid for (£160) separately and went and collected..
removed ply lining and fully insulated and replaced, then covered with that carpet stuff..
constructed a raised bed (6' x 3'6") across the back with ample garage space underneath to take my scooter and powerchair..
fitted a secondhand underfloor cassette lift at the back that they sourced for me..
two large outward opening windows in the sides of the van, plus a smaller slide window for kitchen area..
black out windows in the rear doors..
two roof lights..
toilet compartment with flushing loo, i didn't want a shower..
wardrobe and cupboard space..
kitchen with cupboards of course, two gas rings and sink ( i didn't want oven or fridge as that is what pubs are for, but enough for me to make a brew or a simple dinner if needed)
gas bottle locker..
simple electric system with hook up, leisure battery, led lights throughout and ample electrical sockets including one in the garage to charge mobility bits and bobs..
supplied hook up leads..
supplied and fitted a fire extinguisher..
a 5' 9" bench seat/single bed across from the side opening door with masses of storage underneath with an easy full length pull out drawer..
soft furnishings and foam were included..
they did a quality job with quality materials and fittings..

needed everything simple and easy for me to be able to travel solo, but with the extra bed in case i took a friend or passenger with me..

and one of the guys who worked on it and has one of those graphic making machine thingys, did the tree of life for the bonnet of the van see my avatar, as a surprise birthday present for me as he'd heard me talking about it..
lovely, lovely people who don't rip anyone off, and there was no vat to be paid either for anything..

edit...also meant to add, really hope that you find the perfect vehicle and adaptions for your needs cat..

Last edited:

EzeeRider

Free Member
Sep 12, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
At 97K it is worth talking to some of those that do custom builds, you can buy a cab chassis for about £30K.
ezee

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
My Campervan self build is being done with my disabled partner in mind, so room for her rough terrain mobility scooter is a major requirement but in answer to your question we feel that the ability to charge the scooter is a necessity. After all we'll be on holiday, wild camping or on sites like The Great Dorset Steam Fair where there is no mains charging available but the scooter is a must.

Hi just a quick response to your comment about no mains charging at GDSF.Up to 3 years ago we would go regularly to the event and have done so since its start at its current site. My wife has always used a Diabled Battricar of some discrition and we have always been able to charge the vehicle in the Disabled Campsite which is normaly up with the American R.V's where it is more level.Sadly we no longer go as she needs to Dialysis 3 times a week and as any one who goes to GDSF knows it is absolutely impossible to get in and out of the Site at the end of the day which is when we should be going to the Renal session. We had been waiting for a portable unit but our local Hospital vetoed the idea and said it wasn't cost affective.

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Hi I have been reading with interest yours and various others problems with getting in and out of the vans. As many of you have said the cost of disabled conversions are rediculous. I surpose I am unique in many ways as I was brought up with an engineering father who was always adapting something to suit his idea and it rubbed off on me. We owned an American RV for eight years which I have just sold, everything was fine for the first two years but my already disabled wife sucummed to Renal failure which in its self was bad enough restricting our movements for the forseeable future, but then she broke her left Femure back in 2012 so our planned holiday in the van to Dorset had to be cancelled as I couldn't get her up the 5 steps to get in the RV. Over the next couple of weeks I designed a Davit Winch to sit just inside the Habitat Door at an angle that it would protrude out though the door and then swing right back in to position my wife in the barrel chair just inside. I made it out of 50mm x 3mm wall steel tube with attached rope pulleys at the correct angles. I then bolted a car recovery winch to the floor adjacent to the base and threaded the cable through the pulleys and anchored it with the hook at the end of the hoist, thus using a floating pulley to lift up my wife using a spreader arm attached to one of those Hospital style hammocks, a little ungainly but it worked fine. basicaly I would put the Hammock in the wheelchair before my wife got in then I would wheel her around to the RV whilst still parked in our secluded drive, then attach the lifting hoops to the spreader bar and hoist her up in front of the door and soon as she cleared the 3rd step swing her in so she would be over the inner floor if there was an accident ( not that there ever was ) then continue on up then swing her in over the barrel chair where I would let her down. For travelling I would secure the davit winch with a bungy clip to prevent it swinging about. The winch was wired to its own dedicated battery supply via an isolating switch as it was essential it always worked. For getting around in the RV I bought a medium size sack truck from B&Q and then modified it to have a seat set at 500mm from the floor and you put your feet at the bottom where the load would normaly go, put a very thick cushion on it and then covered it with a waterproof material. and the same with a backrest as it would cut into her shoulders when you lent it back otherwise. luckily ALL the single seats in the RV would revolve so that made moving around quite good. These little exercises cost me no more than about £350 for the Steel Tube, Pulleys, Sack truck, Winch and the dearest part of all was the Hospital Hammoch at £75. Its a shame I'm not as able as I was as I would love to help some of you out, but now in my dotage I tend not to work more than a couple of hours a day, I'm currently re-commisioning a 1988 Burstner Low Profile motorhome which is much lower to the ground so needs no hoists to get my wife in. You never know we might meet one day once its on the road, I hope this wasn't to boring~!

Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
pergeot Boxer L3H2
Hi

long time lurker, first post.

Im looking to try to build a few motorhomes for disabled people - as my wife is disabled (T6 complete paraplegic) - now I know her requirements (nag nag nag...) but thats not necessarily what any one else wants.

I hope this isnt considered spam, as I'm not 'selling' anything, just doing some market research.

Can you tell me what YOU want as a disabled owner? My mrs is insistent on being able to drive, and turn around in the living area for example.

thanks

Guy
‘Long time lurker’ I like that 😅
I’m disabled 50yrs old and loving vanlife
Yes it is a challenge with my husband and I but we manage and have fun!
That’s lovely you are thinking of making some adapted vans
Everybody is different so it is hard to say but Storage is an absolute must for little scooters and wheelchairs to store away but also we need the bed to be as low as possible
Ours is a fixed bed at the rear of our Peugeot boxer we made it just so buggy and scooter fits Under
Definitely a wider access and ramp would be beneficial, A manual fold up one to keep cost down, definitely a captains seat passenger with a little table in front that’s handy
Depending on whether you wild camp use up sites maybe a toilet area is not essential as takes up lots of space?

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
7 year old thread loulabelle, hope the build is complete by now!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I just got caught out on another thread how do they get resurrected?
You clicked on of the 'similar' threads at the bottom of the page usually.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
pergeot Boxer L3H2
H

Hi Ambulancekid
Interested to read your post, I’m disabled and live in Dorset near the steam fair!
My little scooter is fairly off-road And I had to take mine into the Peugeot Boxer via a folding ramp
Really interested to know what off-road buggy your wife has that she is able to manoeuvre in the van, I am always on the lookout for small off-road scooters!
We do lots of wild Camping too
Would Love to bump into you 😊

Mar 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
pergeot Boxer L3H2
H

Hi Ambulancekid
Interested to read your post, I’m disabled and live in Dorset near the steam fair!
My little scooter is fairly off-road And I had to take mine into the Peugeot Boxer via a folding ramp
Really interested to know what off-road buggy your wife has that she is able to manoeuvre in the van, I am always on the lookout for small off-road scooters!
We do lots of wild Camping too
Would Love to bump into you 😊
Hi there don’t think I ever heard back from you
I’m Louisa disabled too 🙄doesn’t stop us though! What off roader do you have? My litle scooter is quite of toady but I’m getting One of these in a few weeks can’t wait! Love to chat
Oh I’m 52 by the way, Dorset or wherever we happen to be in the van 😅
Hope to hear from you
Lou

85035D2D-F07B-4A3F-B979-418E69113282.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread