inaugural afternoon out (1 Viewer)

I

itsmyvan

Deleted User
After 3 years in the thinking, I have just bought an H reg Autosleeper Talisman. Never had a van before and I love it.

I decided to take a friend out with me for its inaugural trip.... reading the Sunday papers and having a coffee on the local promenade in the hail. :roflmto:

Firstly the only parking place was on a slope. We decided we could cope. :Blush:

The papers kept sliding off the seat.

The mugs kept sliding off the worktop.

Then I got drenched just going out to switch the gas on

Then I couldn't work out how to fill the kettle from the water container we had, I had been advised to drain the main tank for the winter. We overcame that by wedging the kettle in the bowl in the sink.

I had forgotten the sugar.

I had no decaff.

Forgot a teatowel.

I could only get the pilot light to work on the heater, so it got colder and colder.

The leisure battery had not fully charged so as the light failed, so did we.

But we discovered how to work the loo ok.

And we discovered how windy it can get on the prom in the winter as the van rocked and rolled.

And we discovered a lovely cafe open for a cuppa and a portion of chips. :ROFLMAO:

It's much more fun than my old fiat punto :Cool:

Any advice appreciated before we launch ourselves out to festivals next year.

thanks

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi, :ROFLMAO: it is a bit of a steep learning curve, but it does get better. What you need is a good check list::bigsmile:

Meanwhile, Welcome to Motorhome Fun:Smile:

Upvote 0

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Itsmyvan

Welcome to MHFun.:thumb:
Sounds as though you had a great first trip out.:winky:
Look upon it as an initiation ceremony and that you are now a Motorhomer.::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, :ROFLMAO: it is a bit of a steep learning curve, but it does get better. What you need is a good check list::bigsmile:

Meanwhile, Welcome to Motorhome Fun:Smile:

:Doh: you beat me to it Jim

welcome to the FUN.

we all started out with no knowledge and the fun part is knowing it can only get better.

my first motorhomefun meet was a disaster.....i forgot to buy beer!!!!:Doh:
but i know i wont do that again:ROFLMAO:

have fun and enjoy the experience.

john.

Upvote 0

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi and welcome to the fun site. You've taken the first step by going out in your van . Next time you'll remember the things you forgot this time. Next time you'll forget something else and so it goes on . That's how we all learn. We've been at it (motorhoming!) for years and still forget bits, but still enjoy the "getting away" and not worrying about trivial everyday problems. Enjoy!
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Upvote 0

peter t

Free Member
Feb 26, 2008
Sunny Croydon.
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
nearly a year.
Take a pen and note pad out with you..... believe me all the things that you might need will just flood into your mind when you least expect it, put em on the list and cross em off as you aquire them.
Just go for it.:thumb:

Upvote 0

shedbrewer

Free Member
Sep 22, 2007
St. Columb, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW C Class
Exp
25 years
the Beginner,,

Hi, welcome to the world of M/H's,,,, and to AutoSleepers, you made a good choice by choosing a Talisman,my U/H and I have a Clubman GL and wouldn't be without it, we use it winter & summer, spending at least 5 weeks in France plus most weekends away from home as well,,,,,,,and we still forget stuff,,
jack & patty, cornwall::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Boadicea

Free Member
Mar 1, 2008
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi, welcome,

Its all part of the fun. My husband managed to plough the field with the steadies down and drove of with the electric connected. Huge bill repairing broken door etc. Could have been worse, he could have decapitated someone!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
Great story
those things will srtay with you forever.
My first trip in my first MH (sherpa highwayman) was to blackpool on the night of the great storm. We new nothing about camping or sites etc.. so we wild camped in a side street. We had to move as the wind blew a skip down the street towards us. So we just found a place off the road and stayed there.
All night we heard strange noises. screeching, howling etc and thought it was the wind.
Next morning i got up..the wind had died and looked out of the door (rear entry door) and found myself looking at an ostrich... we were parked near to the fence of blackpool zoo.
When we got the fire on in the van warmed up we had a lovely cup of tea and a bacon sarny. As i wiped the windows i saw a little car next to me with a young couple in who had obviouly parked there so we could sheild them from the wind. they were freezing.:shout:

i went outside and invited them in and we gave them tea and food. I have never seen anyone look so gratefull as that young couple. We all parted feeling better of the world.
Thats the day we knew this camper vanning lark was for us.

phill:thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back