Renting out a motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Had a customer in recently with some body damage to her motorhome.
She explained that she rented it out all year.
The prices she charges are between £600 to £400 per week depending on the seasons---- sounds tempting !
Is this worth looking into or is it as i imagine --ending up with huge repair bills?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We use ours all year round but I don't think we would have other people using our pride and joy to risky,I would think insurance would be high as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I guess the answer is in the OP - the MH came in with some body damage! Dread to think what the insurance costs but I guess like a hire car the hirer pays the premium.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We would hate the thought of the potential damage hirers could do to the fragile fittings in a motorhome!

I wonder how much of that £500 a week is actually profit once you take into account the extra wear and tear and repair bills?

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Not sure of the size of the OP motorhome

A lot of motorhomes are hired out for entertainment/events/ festivals accommodation only and do not include self drive. We like the motorhome life as there is a lot to be said for sleeping on your bed and sitting on your own loo seat, so not sure that I would be keen to let someone else use them, even if it generated a small income

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I've often thought thought there's money to be made in renting however I wouldn't rent my own van out !
I was thinking more along the lines of if you bought a couple of older Hymers ,a bit of a spruce up,new upholstery carpets etc then rent.
The depreciation on older vans is very little so if done well the refurb could add value to a van that's making you money,win win.
As long as you were well insured and didn't get attached to the vans whats the worst that could happen?

Vlad the entrepreneur !

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We bought our van from a bloke who thought he was on to a winner renting it out but he only had a few rentals so got fed up and sold it to us fully loaded and very cheap. Good for us but not for him. (y)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you should see the state of most exhire vans. premature ageing doesnt come close to describing the condition

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I see what you mean , but up to £2400 per month is a lot compared to a flat/ house rent and for some hassle is a good income
You wouldn't get that every month though.

Say a maximum of a couple of weeks at Easter, 8 weeks in the summer and a week in October. Anything more than that would be a bonus.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
At one time I had 2 motorhomes and did consider renting one out,but I received an offer I couldn't refuse. Earlier this year I was filling up at a garage and a guy asked me if I rented it,he was willing to pay £3k and insurance for a w/e so that he could go to the British Grand Prix which was the same w/e as Glastonbury. The festival season is when hire rates skyrocket,thats were the most money can be made.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Had a customer in recently with some body damage to her motorhome.
She explained that she rented it out all year.
The prices she charges are between £600 to £400 per week depending on the seasons---- sounds tempting !
Is this worth looking into or is it as i imagine --ending up with huge repair bills?

I do believe that hiring through the motorhome hire website means they provide insurance and recovery in the event of an accident. Also they take a £1,200 deposit from the hirer to cover damage. Looked into it myself to hire out our previous Hymer Camp but decided agin it

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
In my opinion you need to do this as a business and as such a motorhome would be an asset, not a possession, to be used solely for hiring.

Like hiring a car....the hirer could drive it like they stole it, dont care if it blows up or catch's fire etc....they took insurance to cover that.
But you could be out of action, and income, for some time.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ours is ex-hire and its spotless AND best of all it was relatively cheap
there is always going to be exceptions, where the hire company are very fussy, but from experience most of those I have seen needed more work than was profitable for me to take on. motorhome furniture and fittings dont take well to abuse and quickly deteriorate when used roughly

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
In my opinion you need to do this as a business and as such a motorhome would be an asset, not a possession, to be used solely for hiring.

Like hiring a car....the hirer could drive it like they stole it, dont care if it blows up or catch's fire etc....they took insurance to cover that.

Or as its a business you could buy Loss of Profit Insurance

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
there is always going to be exceptions, where the hire company are very fussy, but from experience most of those I have seen needed more work than was profitable for me to take on. motorhome furniture and fittings dont take well to abuse and quickly deteriorate when used roughly

I don't doubt you experience for one minute However ours was showroom mint when collected it AND its got a manufactures warranty on both the chassis and the body. Even the gas pro bottle was full as was the fuel tank AND it was supplied with all of the kit everything from pots and pans, knives and forks etc Microwave AND a TV/DVD player Oh! and road taxed ALL FOC

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
pappajon You're the guy with the half empty glass as opposed to the one who's glass is half full and you allow for it in your hire charges

OP
OP
J
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

At up to £ 1200 per month compared with£ 600 on a house ,it does give a lot of scope for some repairs if it is ones line of work to sort it out with no costs

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
This time last year Pinkie went to Holland to buy a motorhome to rent out. Anyone know what happened to her and her plan?

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Running a van solely as a business proposition aside, insured or not, a motorhome can be off the road for many months waiting for body parts.
If you hire your personal van out and it is pranged, you can write off your own use of it for the rest of the year if it needs a new body side or back panel!
Not a risk we would take!

OK, so it is financially covered, but we bought our motorhome to enjoy our holidays in.

Would we run a hire business, given some capital to start it? Yes! Not with our van though!!!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I see what you mean , but up to £2400 per month is a lot compared to a flat/ house rent and for some hassle is a good income

As long as you know the downsides and still want a go, then go for it. At least you can repair the bodywork, which is pretty vulnerable on a vehicle far wider than most are used to.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't doubt you experience for one minute However ours was showroom mint when collected it AND its got a manufactures warranty on both the chassis and the body.

I think that would be the ideal plan, brand new, run until the newness wears off then sell before real costs start. Only people like John's Cross with dealer discounts can pull this off.

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Working on a campsite I see hire vans regularly, many asking for help in what to do/how does this work etc. the way some of them are treated beggars belief, if you have any love or care for your own motorhome I would not offer it for hire. But if it's just a vehicle to go away for the odd weekend in and have no fellings for it it could be worth doing. Shawn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back