Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I was pondering the use of a humidity meter in the van to help and keep condensation down. Has anyone got any experience of these.
They look very cheap online.

P&P

$_35.JPG

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Been using one in our bedroom for a year or more after getting a man in to advise on a damp north wall. We put extra vents in and try not to breathe at night but apart from telling us the humidity it doesn't of course do anything. Less humid in the summer maybe but if we have a window open at night it's the same as outside, damp. Now reading 19.8 C and humidity of 65.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont waste your money, buy me some cider instead..!!
It's tell you the humidity in the air... That's all.... So it's there to be looked at.. :)
Let some cold moist air into the van and it will change..
Not a fat lot of use... More ideal for people with greenhouses etc

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
We have exactly the same one in the van.. £5 in Lidl.. Does nothing but inform.. We got it so that we could keep the van cool enough for the dog when we have to leave her for a while.... (( No she can't read it before anyone jumps in !!))

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
:):unsure:All it's telling you is the water content of the air at the temperature stated. The amount of water saturated air 100% RH, can carry is very dependant on temperature, at below freezing it's hardly any,whilst at 40c it's lots. So that's why stuff goes mouldy real quick in the rain forest and lasts for years in near perfect condition in the Antarctic.
An instrument telling you that the air is 65% saturated at 22.8c is next to useless as if the air dropped to near 0C then the same amount of water in the air would show as 100%RH and the opposite when warm at say 40c.
I wouldn't bother buying it unless you are really interested in learning all about the science of psychometrics (the study of air and its moisture )

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
What i thought it could tell me was the moisture in my van when parked up............I put my dehumidifier in the van immediately after our last trip (with plenty condensation on the screen that morning) it didn't collect anything in two hours.

Bearing in mind that 65% RH in the van at 22 degrees means there is moisture in the air.
I was worried that it might penetrate the internals when cold.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it's cheap, give it a try, I have something similar but it has a max/min feature so you can see what the readings for both temperature and humidity reached overnight. I find the temperature reading much more useful but if you really did have a damp problem the humidity reading might be useful but I think you would be able to tell - condensation on the windows, smell of damp, the canary in a cage sneezing etc.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
If it's cheap, give it a try, I have something similar but it has a max/min feature so you can see what the readings for both temperature and humidity reached overnight. I find the temperature reading much more useful but if you really did have a damp problem the humidity reading might be useful but I think you would be able to tell - condensation on the windows, smell of damp, the canary in a cage sneezing etc.

I've ordered one £3.60 from a little man in China, if nothing else i can use it as an alarm clock.

Reactions: DBK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back