Morocco with DD is it worth taking a few spares (1 Viewer)

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Hi all.

We are off to Morocco with DD next April and I know Ray has his truck etc but has anyone else who has been taken a few spares such as alternator / water pump....

Just wondered if it is worth it as I have a 1999 Hymer on a Fiat 2.8

Cheers

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Bob

I would say yes, it's always worth carrying a few spares, I carry engine belts, hoses, oil and filters, it goes without say that a full service before departing is advisable.

Don't forget the Gaffa tape :roflmto:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Certainly worth carrying spares.

Ray is only there for emegencies although he will make sure you get the help you need. He managed to find someone to repair my towbar which was mangled getting on the ferry, but remember it is Africa so don't expect too much.

Like Jim I always carry filters & belts at least 2 of each and have a sureflo water pump in the locker. On the trip to Morocco I also carried a set of brake pads.
Have a full service before you leave and don't worry you'll have a great time.

Don't forget the Gaffa Tape :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We are off to Morocco with DD next April Cheers

April 8th ?

I hope you're prettier in the flesh than your avatar, coz we'll be with you.

Have you planned your route yet ? We're planning Dover/Calais and down the west of France, Madrid, Granada etc.

Excitement is mounting.

Brian.

Pammy

Funster
Aug 3, 2007
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
AUTOTRAIL CHEYENNE
Exp
3 years
Hi Bob

Well we certainly had an eventful time. For goodness sake don't forget the Gaffa tape and make sure it is a good gaffa tape:winky:

One thing we were glad about having was a spare set of keys. Within 2 days of getting into Spain (on the way down) the key snapped in the lock where you fill up with water.

Also our automatic step decided to play up so we did a temporary repair with bungie straps

Don't forget tie wraps, we used them as well.

Remember to check your tyres as well before you go, we needed 2 new tyres after 2 hours of being on the road. Must admit Geo did check ours as well as doing the service on the RV but for some reason 2 tyres on the rear decided to split.

Believe it or not, we took a set of steps and we needed to use them as well - like when the windscreen decided to fall out (that's where the gaffa tape came in).

Have a great time, I wish I was going back - I loved the dessert.:cry:

Pammy

Groundhog

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
Since 2008
Morocco - 8 April

We'll be there too. Van is in right now having full service and health check as we have just returned from 1700 mile 4 week trip round France.

Really looking forward to the Moroccan trip.

See you all there.

Mike & Carolyn

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi all.

We are off to Morocco with DD next has anyone else who has been, taken a few spares such as alternator / water pump....

Just wondered if it is worth it

Cheers
I wouldn't take any spares Bob I gave the UniMog the once over while I was there It looked well maintained:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Take some for yours though:thumb: In case no ones mentioned it, DONT forget the Gaffer tape:thumb:
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wouldn't take any spares Bob I gave the UniMog the once over while I was there It looked well maintained:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It was the Mog that broke down on our trip.. :roflmto:

Ray forgot his Gaffa tape . :Blush:

OP
OP
navman

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
April 8th ?

I hope you're prettier in the flesh than your avatar, coz we'll be with you.

Have you planned your route yet ? We're planning Dover/Calais and down the west of France, Madrid, Granada etc.

Excitement is mounting.
Brian.

Not a lot:whatthe:

Due to work we are in a bit of a rush to get down there so it will be Motorway all the way.... slower coming back though

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Due to work we are in a bit of a rush to get down there so it will be Motorway all the way....

My wife is unhappy me saying a week is plenty of time. Autoroute would have three days.

It's not a bad journey, 1400 miles from Calais I make it. Sea France is quoting me £29 each way at the moment.

Brian

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
My wife is unhappy me saying a week is plenty of time. Autoroute would have three days.

It's not a bad journey, 1400 miles from Calais I make it. Sea France is quoting me £29 each way at the moment.

Brian
It will be a busy week:Eeek: min of 200 mile a day for 7 days, not for me im afraid, thats why I took the Santander Ferry, The F man who did your journy on a regular basis also tried Santander and said it would be the only way for him now, we then took a week to get through Spain, and that was very relaxing ferry was not cheap but worked out well given Ive an RV to feed with fuel and then it paid dividends as the price of fuel shot up, I would take longer if i were driving from Calais, Having said That Jim the sites boss man almost did it overnight last year:Eeek::Doh:
Geo

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It will be a busy week:Eeek: min of 200 mile a day for 7 days
Geo

I do a lot of driving. I think in terms of at least 300 a day. Best I've done for a days work is Aberdeen and back, 800 miles, though I was a bit younger then.

Just to bore you I've roughed out:

Calais, St Maure do Touraine = 347
....St Jean de Luz = 325
....La Cabrera = 269
....Granada = 285 or maybe 360 to Nerja.
....123 or 198 to Algeciras.

You and the wife maybe right, 7 days is more business mode.

She said 10 days, who am I to argue. I'd still aim for the same stops which came from good old 80 year old Don Madge but we could have a day off here and there.

Brian.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I do a lot of driving. I think in terms of at least 300 a day. Best I've done for a days work is Aberdeen and back, 800 miles, though I was a bit younger then.

Just to bore you I've roughed out:

Calais, St Maure do Touraine = 347
....St Jean de Luz = 325
....La Cabrera = 269
....Granada = 285 or maybe 360 to Nerja.
....123 or 198 to Algeciras.

You and the wife maybe right, 7 days is more business mode.

She said 10 days, who am I to argue. I'd still aim for the same stops which came from good old 80 year old Don Madge but we could have a day off here and there.

Brian.
That explains everything, who told you he's 80:Eeek:
He's only 24:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

hobbyda

Free Member
Mar 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
25 years
Morocco April 2009

Hi all

We will be with you in Morocco, leaving jan/feb taking a easy drive down west coast of France across Spain to med, then down round coast to to D/D.

See you:thumb: all there safe trip.

Dennis & Andrea

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We will be with you in Morocco, leaving jan/feb taking a easy drive down west coast of France across Spain to med, then down round coast to to D/D.
See you:thumb: all there safe trip. Dennis & Andrea

And then there were 4.

Take care if you mean you are going down the east coast of Spain, some people say it's a bit risky.

Brian.

hobbyda

Free Member
Mar 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
25 years
Hi Brian

Thanks we hope to be driving down the west coast to Bayonne then into Spain, onto Pamplona,Zaragoza and stopping at Benicassim for a bit then off down coast to Mojacar for our next stop. This way missing most of the trouble spots we hope.

all best

Dennis

Dec 6, 2008
Lisbon
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Morocco a magical kingdom full of mysteries

:Smile:hello, Morocco :thumb:, a kingdom in the sunny northwest Africa, surprised to realize that only the desert landscape diversity of natural elements with lakes and waterfalls as well as deserts and mountains.​

Who knew that the aridity of the desert country are waterfalls of 60 meters in height or trees with cedars centenarians? Not forgetting 1,100 kilometers of coastline divided between the clear waters of the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean Sea and the snow that score the tops of Atlas Mountains in winter. :Blush:
:Eeek:see the story and film here News Press and motorhomes

the site have translators for all languages​

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Hi all.

Just wondered if it is worth it as I have a 1999 Hymer on a Fiat 2.8

Cheers

We went to Morocco a few years ago, solo not in a group and one of the things we did was to have 2 extra springs added to the rear axil. There are a few good roads in Morocco and hundreds of BAD!!! ones.

If you want a to know a place in the Algarve that will do the job for about 325 Euro give me a message.

Doug...

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
Just back from.......................Yes, Morocco.................Off again on another tour in a few days with, I think, a few MHFun member in the group.

Whatever spares you take you can be sure that you will not have the part you need.........but our network of dealer/parts shops/Mechanics means that we have yet to abandon a client...............:ROFLMAO:

Punctures are the main "breakdown" we have......two, on the same vehicle, on the last tour. And a shattered screen [Mine].........But these can happen anywhere.

You would be surprised in the massive road improvement over the last few years......On the whole better than Spain and from what I remember far better than the UK.

Ray

OP
OP
navman

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Just back from.......................Yes, Morocco.................Off again on another tour in a few days with, I think, a few MHFun member in the group.

Whatever spares you take you can be sure that you will not have the part you need.........but our network of dealer/parts shops/Mechanics means that we have yet to abandon a client...............:ROFLMAO:

Punctures are the main "breakdown" we have......two, on the same vehicle, on the last tour. And a shattered screen [Mine].........But these can happen anywhere.

You would be surprised in the massive road improvement over the last few years......On the whole better than Spain and from what I remember far better than the UK.

Ray
Thanks for that Ray.... You are right there are a lot of UK roads that are just unforgivable...

Cya in April

bob

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi we took some spares when we went in December,

We took a spare anxillary drive belt (fan belt), windscreen wipers, air filter, fuel filter, gaffer tape, good tool box,bulbs and fuses. Mastic, spare water pump, cable ties, spare gas bottle regulator.

We also took some frozen meat, and some tinned food, and some semi baked long life bread, which was handy when we were off the beaten track.

Imodium, cold treatment, antibiotics and other medication, although it is easy to get medicine over the counter, most people to suffer from diarrhoea. I had flu, for a month, and got through lots of cold treatment.

Second hand clothes, long sleeves t shirts for children or adults, I was also asked for shoes and socks quite a lot of the time.

Dont show out that you have alcohol because you will get pestered for it.

Also it is hard on your tyres make sure your leaving with good tyres, we kerbed our wheel and nicked the tyre, we did find though that there were lots of tyre places everywhere, so I think you could get that sorted fairly easily. They offered to bash our wheel out for us. The only thing some of the little villages have very secondhand tyres.

Have fun
Pat

Last edited:

ant & Linds

Free Member
Mar 10, 2009
Selby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are 2 more for the DD tour

Andy and I are also joining the April DD tour so look forward to meeting you all.
We have just joined motor home fun and have had our dethleffs motorhome exactly 2 weeks, although it was ordered in May !!. We were begining to panic that it wouldn't be here in time.
So we are busy reading manuals, filling spaces and lockers and deciding what to bring on its first trip, plus planning routes and overnight stops for the journey to Spain, we arrive Zeebrugge on Saturday morning and therefore we will be putting in some miles to get there for Tuesday.
So back to the route planner for me

Lindsay

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Andy and I are also joining the April DD tour so look forward to meeting you all.
So back to the route planner for me
Lindsay

Wow, I admire your style. 2 weeks and head for Marrakesh.

We have piles of clothes, bits and pieces, everywhere. We are off for a 2 night test run on Friday, to Southport. Not far but it will get us in practice. Test the batteries.

For what it's worth, my route:
Link Removed

I look forward to meeting everyone.

OP
OP
navman

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
So we are busy reading manuals, filling spaces and lockers and deciding what to bring on its first trip, plus planning routes and overnight stops for the journey to Spain, we arrive Zeebrugge on Saturday morning and therefore we will be putting in some miles to get there for Tuesday.
Lindsay

Glad we are not the only ones not having to make a dash down to Spain. We are goign through the tunnel Friday evening... maybe stay City Europe car park or a nearby Aire... Then overnigh near Pons ( there is an Autoroute Aire there). I have booked one night in a site just to teh north of Madrid....

Cya soon folks.....

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
We didn't take any spares and didn't need any. Had a rear tyre blow in the Rif mountains and had to drive to near algiers to find a replacement. As I got out of the car at the tyre place, the attendant showed me the big bulge in the other rear tyre - ready to blow. Two new Vanco 70 Euro each. Talk about lucky when you consider the incredibly bad roads we drove on without a spare. Get used to getting one wheel off the side of the road so the Moroccans can stay fully on the road. That way you can slow down and pick your spot to get off. If you stay on, then be prepared for some very close misses at high speed because they have a pathological fear of even driving through puddles of water let alone broken edges.

Please don't take stuff to hand out to kids on the side of the road. It just engenders a Cargo-Cult mentality in the kids and makes things very unpleasant for those of us who heed the advice of those who know better. Also results in very dangerous behaviour - kids running full pelt for the road and even standing on the road. Smile and wave happily but don't give stuff out the window.
By all means take a heap of school consumables and stop at a deserving looking school in a small school and give it to the teacher. Same with clothes. They know who really needs it and who is just going to sell it on in the weekly markets.
I would have thought your tour leader would have already given this advice so I'm probably preaching to the converted.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Please don't take stuff to hand out to kids on the side of the road. It just engenders a Cargo-Cult mentality in the kids and makes things very unpleasant for those of us who heed the advice of those who know better. Also results in very dangerous behaviour - kids running full pelt for the road and even standing on the road. Smile and wave happily but don't give stuff out the window.
By all means take a heap of school consumables and stop at a deserving looking school in a small school and give it to the teacher. Same with clothes. They know who really needs it and who is just going to sell it on in the weekly markets.
I would have thought your tour leader would have already given this advice so I'm probably preaching to the converted.

Good advice ..

I've witnessed kids dashing out to catch sweets thrown from van windows .. not only dangerous but if you don't follow suite they may throw stones at you ..
This should be explained before setting off .. but it wasn't adhered to on our trip . :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back