Jimbo99

Free Member
Oct 1, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Hi all just been talking to a friend he was visiting France for 17 nights when he was leaving he was going to rebook for next year and was refused as they do not like twin axle vans may be associated with gypsy vans
There reasoning if its big enough to live in they do not want it on site
Do motorhomers suffer the same problems I know the hobby can be a problem van ?

Feb 22, 2014
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Rapido Le Randonneur
Exp
Since 2015
We have been told exactly the same thing re caravans. Twin axle caravans are disliked far and wide because of the traveller connection.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We've seen a few places/sites with "no twin axle" signs, the lovely municipal site at Sezanne for one.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
I think it's more to do with the twin axles ripping up their grass as the axles turn. you should see some of the site owners faces as we roll up with the cheiftain.., like a car to me,,,I dont like grass pitches anyway,so if they wont let me on i go somewhere else and spend my money.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I think it's more to do with the twin axles ripping up their grass as the axles turn.
Having come from a twin axle caravan, correct.
If caravan is towed off a grass pitch at too sharp \ tight an angle the wheels don't pivot but twist on the grass and tear it up. Does the same to a gravel hardstanding pitch. On tar, it just wears the tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Shovelheadrob

Free Member
Jul 13, 2014
Funster No
MH
Soon to be 5th wheeler
Exp
On & off for 20 years
We had this problem in France, they have made it so that all the municipal run sites have a blanket no twin axle policy, we had booked a site & after travelling several hundred miles were just turned away with the customary shrug. they want the privately run sites to adopt the same. The strange thing we noticed was that there are a lot of traveller sites in France, some have taken over aires completely, but many of them have single axle caravans so that ruling is really going to work! I read somewhere that if you use a twin axle caravan you were advised to carry proof that you have a residential address (utility bills, bank statements etc) or if stopped your caravan could be impounded! I've just found a mention of it all here http://www.practicalcaravan.com/for...ench-regulations-affecting-towing-and-camping As said we only found this out the hard way at campsites & although we saw several Gendarmes there was no problem as in we didn't get stopped! See what they make of the 5th wheeler next year!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We was warned about issues with buying a tag axle MH.. Still wanted one though and as yet not had a single problem on any sites.. ( he says with fingers crossed for the future ! )

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We had this problem in France, they have made it so that all the municipal run sites have a blanket no twin axle policy, we had booked a site & after travelling several hundred miles were just turned away with the customary shrug. they want the privately run sites to adopt the same. The strange thing we noticed was that there are a lot of traveller sites in France, some have taken over aires completely, but many of them have single axle caravans so that ruling is really going to work! I read somewhere that if you use a twin axle caravan you were advised to carry proof that you have a residential address (utility bills, bank statements etc) or if stopped your caravan could be impounded! I've just found a mention of it all here http://www.practicalcaravan.com/for...ench-regulations-affecting-towing-and-camping As said we only found this out the hard way at campsites & although we saw several Gendarmes there was no problem as in we didn't get stopped! See what they make of the 5th wheeler next year!

But did you manage to sell all your clothes pegs and lucky heather ? (y)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We was warned about issues with buying a tag axle MH.. Still wanted one though and as yet not had a single problem on any sites.. ( he says with fingers crossed for the future ! )

We were told the same when we got ours 4 years later and months and months spent travelling Europe never had a problem. Do see signs refusing twin axle caravans occasionally but not many. Did see a couple of Itinerants on a Aire in France a couple of weeks back, 2 caravans and a right mess around em. We just moved on to the next Aire and left em too it they had it too themselves so costing the town money so I would imagine they got moved on.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012

We had twin axle caravans for about 15 years, used many sites in France, including municipal sites. We were turned away from some sites, but accepted on many, many more. It is usually the local Mayor that lays down the law about twin axles being accepted or not on sites. We were never stopped by police or gendarme and never heard of any one being stopped. I think France is one of the most motorhome & caravan friendly countries and at the end of the day we contribute a lot of money to their economy. Are they really going to cut their nose off to spite there face?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
We just came back from the Christmas market at Aachen,
We stayed on the aire that had 6 twin axel caravans occupied by Irish travellers, the hassle they caused the site owner made me ashamed being English speaking,
They had washing machines and table and bowls at the side of the caravans, and they had used about three electrical outlets per van so not leaving enough for the motor homes ( electric included in fee)
All the towing cars were brand new ,discovery,BMW x3 Volvo 4x4
They just left their towing cars were they liked even blocking in a MH trying to leave, Police were called and made them move but they weren't in the leased fazed by it and gave the sight owner and police a bit of verbal abused,
Both my Irish born wife and myself were upset at the way these people can get away with causing so much grief,
We left a day earlier than planned so we weren't associated with them as Brittish registered vehicles,
It's a shame because the few Germans we spoke to couldn't have been nicer,

Deleted User
We had about 6 traveller vans on a site in Brittany in June this year, all Irish and whilst they did'nt cause any trouble it was a nasty atmosphere. They all left in convoy one sunday lunchtime when the reception was closed, probally did'nt pay I suspect the owner was glad to just see the back of them.

spongy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back