Caravan Club duly cancelled !! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
After countless attempts to stop the spam mails about insurance, after months of getting wound up every time I get the magazine ( them going on about their 'green sites... for gawd sake, we all have bloody great big motors to either haul our motorhomes or tow bloody caravans ), I sat down and worked out the total plus's I had got from being a member.

It worked out that I got the ferry £31.00 cheaper.. So over all no fiscal advantage as membership was more than that, AND a good many of the other members we met looked down their noses at us 'van oiks'

So yesterday I fones and said ok, last try.. either you stop sending the spam or stop getting my money..

reply went along the lines of.. It is up to you chum, its only you who will be missing out :Eeek:

Ok, not those words but that was how they summed up..

Spoke to a couple of other folk on the Blackbird forum and they too are ditching their membership for similar reasons..

Soooo... what other options are there ( if any ) ??

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
After countless attempts to stop the spam mails about insurance, after months of getting wound up every time I get the magazine ( them going on about their 'green sites... for gawd sake, we all have bloody great big motors to either haul our motorhomes or tow bloody caravans ), I sat down and worked out the total plus's I had got from being a member.

It worked out that I got the ferry £31.00 cheaper.. So over all no fiscal advantage as membership was more than that, AND a good many of the other members we met looked down their noses at us 'van oiks'

So yesterday I fones and said ok, last try.. either you stop sending the spam or stop getting my money..

reply went along the lines of.. It is up to you chum, its only you who will be missing out :Eeek:

Ok, not those words but that was how they summed up..

Spoke to a couple of other folk on the Blackbird forum and they too are ditching their membership for similar reasons..

Soooo... what other options are there ( if any ) ??
Get a good Spam filter:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no advantages with the CC.

you can get cheaper ferries online, and you must go through the CC to make any amendments at a cost of £10 per time.

their insurance isnt that cheap and niether is the breakdown service.

unless you booked a site LAST june for NEXT summer you wont get a pitch 'cos half the members block book many sites at once so they have the pick of sites at holiday time and dont cancel the others.

as you say, the mag is all about green sites and not much else of interest,

the commitee seem to be 99% landed gentry and one real bloke in a flat cap,

i joined 5 years ago and have used the ferry booking service once (then i found its cheaper to book it yourself), managed to get a pitch twice (first time was when i joined to get the discount)

i wont be joining again either, if i remember to cancel the direct debit this time.

the only other real option is the CCC.....cheaper sites and run by real people with caravans and motorhomes.

john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Cancelled???

Hi

Some sympathy with your situation. I agree that (both) the "clubs" have "rolled over" on the "green" issue (hang on, Check wallet) Sorry, everytime someone mentions "green" I check to see how much more (tax) money has disapeared from my wallet, But I digress, The CC sites are (generally) Less expensive, the CL sites are well usable, even for an R-V (31ft), although you MUST ring and check (I usually knock at least a Foot off the length!!) and of course you can`t legally access them as a"non member". Sooooo what is the answer? (on the back of a sealed down envelope please). I have not yet booked via the CC as the Internet can always beat their prices, BUT I did once do a deal which got me 7 FREE camping cheques!!! (worth £70). We had many good years, (25+ in fact) especially when the kids where young, doing "rally`s" with the various centres, I was a "tugger" then, and made lots af good friends plus a couple of enemies but thats life!!.

I Certainly believe that SOME (not all) CC wardens believe that anything over "X" feet cannot be allowed on "their" sites, And I also believe that is because they do not have any conception of HOW to handle a Large "rig" . But then they probably could`nt put 45ft + Tractor on a loading dock either!!. As for being "looked down on" my answer is that that is what your middle finger is for!! The choice is yours, mine (currently) is to stay and renew, "spam" is easy to get rid of (put the "address" in the "anti-spam" folder). and inform the Provider that you no longer want "unsolicited" comunication (tick the box??).

I am NOT defending the Club(s) (the CCC can be as bad) BUT there are a limited number of LEGAL sites in the UK and to restrict yourself to "comercial" sites, Could be counter productive. The ORGANISATION might be c**p, but then as a MEMBER, you have a vote so vote for me!! I will pledge to lobby for lower fuel prices, more access to Parking without Height Barriers, Get rid of Congestion/LEZ charges, (free beer for the workers, 5day weekends, free love, No cancel that!! I`m too old!!, ze dicky ticker!).

Anyway best wishes, may the road always be downhill and the wind at your back!.

Pete

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
if itwas not for over 55 discount .i would not be in ccc :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Re spam..
I actually WANTED the stuff that was not breakdown cover related or insurance cover related..
On many many occasions I was told yup, fully understand,, good idea and will get it sorted out..
But it was all a waste of time and effort.
Now while a spam filter would of course work ( I currently own more than 105 domains, all with multiple email address's so my spam pot is fairly agressive to say the least ! ) I think the point has been a tad missed

If these people cannot listen and sort out a simple request, what chance is there is something major needed sorting out ? An issue more important than a few annoying mails ?

Would it be the same again ? Would they make all the right noises and again simply ignore the issue ?

I shall look at the CCC option ( and thanks for the tip re over 55 discount ! )

S

stagman

Deleted User
Been a C.C member over 10yrs.Don't use a lot of them but when I have ,had no problems.Great well kept sites .love the one on Bristol Wharf.Had no problems with cls.Magazine with plenty good information,like the crossword if I can get it before the misses,camping card.all for £37 I think,.Binned my motor caravanners club complete waste of money 2nd rate magazine and thei'r main intrest is to get you to join some rally in a school field or whatever field they can find that is empty.:thumb:

passionwagon

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
somewhere in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
lo profile
Exp
Been a C.C member over 10yrs.Don't use a lot of them but when I have ,had no problems.Great well kept sites .love the one on Bristol Wharf.Had no problems with cls.Magazine with plenty good information,like the crossword if I can get it before the misses,camping card.all for £37 I think,.Binned my motor caravanners club complete waste of money 2nd rate magazine and thei'r main intrest is to get you to join some rally in a school field or whatever field they can find that is empty.:thumb:
:thumb:I agree totally. Why dont those who are unhappy start their own special club with all the things they believe the clubs do not or poorly provide. :thumb:

Oscarmax

Free Member
Oct 22, 2008
Funster No
MH
Coach
Exp
may 2008
:Smile: I have been a caravan club member since 2002, I find them polite and helpfull. Now you have cancelled I am going to nick your vacant pitch::bigsmile:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I was in CC & CCC and never had a problem with either. Some wardens were occasionally a bit anal and some members occasionally sneered because we drive a RV but thats life and like someone previous said thats what your middle finger's for. On the whole though we were treated well by wardens and members of both clubs, although because we drive a RV we never just turned up we always rang first. CC sites were always immaculate and facilities top drawer and CCC sites were nice because they were much more informal in other words both had a lot to offer.You are right about the green issue both have given in to it which is slightly at odds with how they make a living. The magazines always went straight in the bin as both especially CCC always made me angry with their double standards.

We are not currently members but only because we are'nt doing much travelling in the UK for the next few years as we have chosen to spend our time travelling further afield. Having said that when we do get fed up of long distance travelling which we surely will I will certainly join both clubs without hesitation if only because of the number of sites on offer.

Good Luck:thumb:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have absolutely no complaints or issues with sites or the folk who look after them.
And in fairness when I am on the fone the people I talk to are very polite and make all the right noises..

Sadly they seem to have an IQ similar to a shrubbery as all they have managed to do is make the right noises and nothing else !

Only ever used ONE site just outside Dover.. Chap was a radio ham as it happens so common ground and all that jazz.. Site was excellent and the people could not have been nicer.
It is THOSE good people who are being let down by the idiots pursuing their own strange goals at CC central .. I have the choice ( which I have exercised ) but those poor sods are stuck :Angry:

larrythelamb

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
hay sorry that some of you have had a bad one with cc or ccc but we use them when we can if not wild camping :Smile: from the very south of the uk to the very north never had a prob always great guys and girls always there to help hay life a bitch so lets make the most of it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back