Nov 29, 2008
Enfield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
12th year now
hi all
i have just bought my first motor home 6 year old compass avantgarde 100 just doing all the cleaning etc. have noticed the tap on the sink over the fridge is loose any idea how to get to the nut under the work top. the model i have is the fridge and sink are on the left as you enter rear door. also when i plugged in the hook up the volt meter dose not change how do you know if the batt is being charged. i noticed that the leisure bat has about 11.5 volts but flicking veh.bat has about 13 volts

sorry this is very long winded but any help would be such a great help
macski:Doh:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Getting to nuts in some Motorhomes can be difficult, it may well mean dismantling cupbards etc. Sometimes there is no easy way:cry:

As for your battery I would have thought than when actually being charged it would read well over 13v, but then again I am useless when it comes to electrics. A knowledgeable funster will let you know for sure:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi macski,

first locate your charger/ power supply unit. usualy in a cupboard/wardrobe.
have a look and see if it has a rocker switch or a fuse other than the curcuit breakers and 12v curcuit fuses.
the switch will be to turn on/off the charger while the power supply unit will still run the 12v side.
mine has a fuse as well which is plugged in endwise on....looks like a large plastic screw head. undo it and the fuse will pop out.

if your sink is like mine you may have to remove the fridge to gain access or there may be some plastic screw covers around the edge of the sink. i think you can remove the covers and unscrew the sink top but you wont be able to move it far 'cos of the pipework.

hope this helps a little.

john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
hi all
i have just bought my first motor home 6 year old compass avantgarde 100 just doing all the cleaning etc. have noticed the tap on the sink over the fridge is loose any idea how to get to the nut under the work top. the model i have is the fridge and sink are on the left as you enter rear door. also when i plugged in the hook up the volt meter dose not change how do you know if the batt is being charged. i noticed that the leisure bat has about 11.5 volts but flicking veh.bat has about 13 volts

sorry this is very long winded but any help would be such a great help
macski:Doh:

You can try lifting the sink/drainingboard, look for the plastic screw covers that hold it down, the flexable tubes to the tap should give you enough slack to get your hand in.

If your battery is down less that 11.8 at rest the you may have a dying battery, but its very difficult to tell without hands on. Leave the mains plugged in for a day or two, if its still the same get some help.

Doug

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Getting to nuts in some Motorhomes can be difficult, it may well mean dismantling cupbards etc. Sometimes there is no easy way:cry:

As for your battery I would have thought than when actually being charged it would read well over 13v, but then again I am useless when it comes to electrics. A knowledgeable funster will let you know for sure:Smile:

very true Jim......gotta get past the locked doors, wife, dogs ect:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
hi all
i have just bought my first motor home 6 year old compass avantgarde 100 just doing all the cleaning etc. have noticed the tap on the sink over the fridge is loose any idea how to get to the nut under the work top.
You will need to remove the sink/drainer which is usually held in place by small woodscrews. Once removed, access to the nut holding the tap becomes simple.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have an Elddis Autoquest 100 which is similar to your Avantgarde.

Not sure if it's possible but, before removing the sink, it may be worth seeing if you can get at the nut holding the tap via the top fridge vent. The plastic vent covers on the outside of the van can be unclipped - being careful not to break them. It may then be possible to get your hand in to tighten the nut holding the tap.

As regards the charging, Jim is right that it should be reading over 13v when charging. According to our (2003) manual the charger is "capable of providing 12 amps continuously at 13.8v DC". I just went out to check our van and the meter is showing just over 13.5v on hook-up with oil-filled radiator running to keep the temperature above freezing.

As John mentioned, you probably need to check that the circuit breakers are set properly. One way of checking if you have mains power to the van, via hook-up, is to try an appliance in one of the mains sockets - they only work when it is on hook-up.

I have a PDF copy of the 2003 Explorer Group motorhomes manual. If you don't have a manual, let me have your e-mail address by PM and I'll send you the manual as an attachment.

Graham

OP
OP
macski

macski

Free Member
Nov 29, 2008
Enfield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
12th year now
battery charger

hi all
on checking my leisure battery it was found to be dead have now put a new one in place but still have this problem of not showing 13.8 volts on the control panel gauge when on electric hook up.
further investigation is needed to check charger wish me luck as i go beyond the bounds of human endeavour and yes i will disconnect the mains before i go prodding around.
you may all be able to call me sparky after this
macski:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi macski

might be worth checking the voltage at the battery with a simple voltage tester while on hook up.

it could be the meter on the panel that isnt accurate or faulty.

mine doesnt have a numbered scale only segments. it only goes to the lower edge of the forth quarter segment on hookup but is reading 13.8 / 14.0v at the battery.

Phil

Free Member
Oct 21, 2007
Herts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
As suggested earlier you need to make sure the charger is switched on, that a fuse has not blown and that the control panel switch is set to charge the Leisure Battery not the Starter Battery.

Phil.

OP
OP
macski

macski

Free Member
Nov 29, 2008
Enfield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
12th year now
battery charger

hi all
on to the next stage checked mains power to the charger ok then unplugged output lead which should be 13.8 volts if i am right but no volt reading. on taking the unit apart have found one component burnt out.
dose any one know where i could get it fixed in the enfield area north london
macski

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Replacement charger unit

hi all
on to the next stage checked mains power to the charger ok then unplugged output lead which should be 13.8 volts if i am right but no volt reading. on taking the unit apart have found one component burnt out.
dose any one know where i could get it fixed in the enfield area north london
macski

Hello Colin,

Don't know anyone close to you but a place like Link Removed might be able to help.

Graham

OP
OP
macski

macski

Free Member
Nov 29, 2008
Enfield
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
12th year now
battery charger

hi all
just to let you all know I found a guy called Zen he replaced a couple of components in my charger and tested the unit output about 13.7 volts. Have now refitted the unit back and I now have a good output to the control panel and good lights. Will leave EHU on over night to see how things go. Zen is based in Edmonton north London his web site is Zens Home and at a cost of £10 very good value instead of having to pay about £100 for a new charger.
Now I should try and fix that tap.
Thanks for all your replies
macski

:Smile:::bigsmile::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back