Harrogate (1 Viewer)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We've just returned from our first visit and enjoyed a very nice weekend. We stayed at harrogatecaravanpark.co.uk which is on the Great Yorkshire Showground just a couple of miles from the town centre. This was the old CC site which I believe has been closed for a year or two but has re-opened this year after being re-furbished.

The wardens couldn't have been more helpful and on booking in you're issued with a town map and bus timetable. It's not a massive site but there are plenty of hardstandings. It rained non-stop from 3pm Friday till about 8am Saturday but the ground seemed to drain well.

Next door is a great shop and cafe. It also offers a good gluten free menu. Fodder.co.uk. I even managed to track some of the Hendersons Relish down as reccommended by Dux(y)

Next to the cafe is a huge Sainsbury's , with fuel.

The bus stop into town is on the main road outside Sainsbury's, 3 per hour and they accept dogs.

A couple of minutes walk over a field opposite the site (but on an all year suface) gets you to thetravellersrestharrogate.co.uk sadly we didn't get round to trying it (one for next time). This area is also ideal for dog excercise. (This is used as parking when they have the big shows on though).

We really liked Harrogate itself, lots of interesting individual shops and boutiques alongside your usual High Street ones. Plenty of green spaces and people were so friendly (up North obviously). So many places to eat! Didn't manage Betty's this time. Oh yes - people are very well turned out here, glad I took some decent clothes:D.

Next time I'd like to visit RHS Harlow Carr which is close by - oh that has it's own Betty's too. There is lots to do and see easily from this site.

Sadly the site is closing shortly for winter but will re-open in March.

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Next time you must go in July and see the Great Yorkshire show. Its on a tues, wed, thurs mid month. Its in the show ground behind Sainsburys. Sainsburys is closed when its on, that was part of the conditions that they were able to build the store. We often go to Harlow Carr and buy a picnic in Bettys to eat in the gardens. The Gardens have loads to see its RHS so well worth a day and a really good garden centre with knowlegable staff

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The CC site at Scotton Knaresborough is open all year and is not too far from Harrogate. Lots to see in Knaresborough - Mother Shiptons Cave, Nidd Gorge and the River Nidd.

If/when you go to Bettys make sure you try their 'Fat Rascals' but remember to have plenty of 'brass in yer pocket' as Bettys is not a cheap cafe. The Travellers Rest at Crimple used to be a frequent watering hole many years ago for me. It was always a cracking little pub but I believe like many out of the way pubs, its had its ups and downs. http://www.thetravellersrestharrogate.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Bettys fat rascals are uck, in my opinion, dry as dust. sample first. Spent the early years of my marriage in Knaresborough. Fond memories

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yes, I saw that Knaresborough was close by - I don't know why we've never been up there before, it's only about 80 miles from home.

I couldn't believe how long the queue was for Betty's. I was own my own for the morning and didn't want to go in and be Billy no mates:LOL:. By the time Les came to me the queue was massive. Did have a very nice bowl of mussels though in Timberlakes(y)

We'll have to make time for a longer visit

Reactions: kcy
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
image.jpg

These are MY favourite at Betty's.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
View attachment 48031
These are MY favourite at Betty's.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oh my - they look scrummy:clap: I was trying very hard not to stare through the windows as I walked past, caught a glimpse of the tea trolly though:inlove:

The CC site at Scotton Knaresborough is open all year and is not too far from Harrogate. Lots to see in Knaresborough - Mother Shiptons Cave, Nidd Gorge and the River Nidd.

If/when you go to Bettys make sure you try their 'Fat Rascals' but remember to have plenty of 'brass in yer pocket' as Bettys is not a cheap cafe. The Travellers Rest at Crimple used to be a frequent watering hole many years ago for me. It was always a cracking little pub but I believe like many out of the way pubs, its had its ups and downs. http://www.thetravellersrestharrogate.co.uk

I like the sound of Knaresborough - how easy is it to get into town if we were on the cc site? Is it walkable do you think please?

We didn't try the Travellers - the car park looked full to bursting so we settled for Fodder which was very good, had breakfast there too before we left yesterday.

Reactions: kcy
OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
We were in Harrogate on Friday but left by 1pm. Jill makes me act as porter at the annual Knitting & Stitching Show :)
Yes there were lots of ladies being coached in, think all the blokes were going to the woodworking fair at the showground:)

Debs, it's about 1.1/2 miles from the site to the town centre.
Cheers for this, wonder if we could tie something up with Knaresborough and Hawes, they're both open till 4th Jan..... Hmmm:)

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
Debs, just double checked and according to Bing maps it's 1.9 miles. There is a small tea room come bistro on site but I don't know what their opening hours are though. There is (or was ) a pub in Scotton which served food which is about 1/2 mile away.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We were in Harrogate on Friday but left by 1pm. Jill makes me act as porter at the annual Knitting & Stitching Show :)

Yes there were lots of ladies being coached in, think all the blokes were going to the woodworking fair at the showground:)

Cheers for this, wonder if we could tie something up with Knaresborough and Hawes, they're both open till 4th Jan..... Hmmm:)

Sounds like an ideal time for an informal meet as there is so much going on. Maybe next year?

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
I wanted to go away this weekend, and had to think how to persuade SWMBO , so I suggested Harrogate, she likes her 'posh shops'.
We stayed at Shaws trailer park, £18 a night, hard standing, but the toilet block must be 40'yeras old, but very very clean .
Morrisons and Tescos only a few yards away.
The buses into Harrogate seem to run every 5 minutes, I guess about a mile and half into town.

After a morning shopping, I was sent back with the bags, Jack Wills, fat face, Hoopers, Jo Malone and Russell and Bromley. Any smart robber should have mugged me for all the bags !!!

In the evening a bus into Knaresborough, about 10 minutes, so I could watch the football and then a curry !!

A great weekend, and SWMBO was pleased she listened to me....I will be reminding her of good ideas for years to come.....

OP
OP
Debs

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
dont forget there is a motorhome show in Harrogate in spring.
Is that a day show?
There was some sort of caravan meet on the showground but they were under cover in some sort of dutch barn type affair.
Could be an idea Mrs P - there's certainly plenty to do :)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
dont forget there is a motorhome show in Harrogate in spring.
Is that a day show?
There was some sort of caravan meet on the showground but they were under cover in some sort of dutch barn type affair.
Could be an idea Mrs P - there's certainly plenty to do :)
It is a day show. We went this year but weren't impressed. We were only there about an hour and a half.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
It is a day show but as there are local sites you can make it part of a Harrogate visit.
We had positive reports from visitors, and hopefully it will be bigger this year.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It is a day show but as there are local sites you can make it part of a Harrogate visit.
We had positive reports from visitors, and hopefully it will be bigger this year.
I agree, Harrogate and surrounding area as a whole is well worth visiting. We thought the show itself, though, was poor value for money compared to other shows.

That isn't unique to motorhome shows (we experienced the same with some family history fairs when we had our business) but the fall out, unfortunately, is borne by traders rather than the organisers who charge too high an entrance fee for what they provide.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I agree, Harrogate and surrounding area as a whole is well worth visiting. We thought the show itself, though, was poor value for money compared to other shows.

That isn't unique to motorhome shows (we experienced the same with some family history fairs when we had our business) but the fall out, unfortunately, is borne by traders rather than the organisers who charge too high an entrance fee for what they provide.

Primarily the show is made by the Organizers.
If the organizers charge too much for traders they don't book.
If traders don't book the show is small.
If the show is small the public don't visit even if ticket prices are low ( or don't come back again)

So if the organizers offer good deals to traders the show is big and interesting, attracts more traders each year and attracts more visitors.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Primarily the show is made by the Organizers.
If the organizers charge too much for traders they don't book.
If traders don't book the show is small.
If the show is small the public don't visit even if ticket prices are low ( or don't come back again)

So if the organizers offer good deals to traders the show is big and interesting, attracts more traders each year and attracts more visitors.
Totally agree. In fact, your post matches almost exactly a friend made to a family history fair organiser recently.

I am aware that the charges made by some venues are high but experienced organisers should know enough to avoid those and pitch both trader and public charges at appropriate levels.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
This year there were free tickets in MMM for Harrogate.

If there are free tickets we will go and make a weekend (or longer) of it visiting the show one day at least.

Last year we didn't have Buffy so it was a reconnaissance trip and very worthwhile as we were able to cross off a lot of possibles off the list.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This year there were free tickets in MMM for Harrogate.

If there are free tickets we will go and make a weekend (or longer) of it visiting the show one day at least.
Their web site says there will be free pairs of tickets for subscribers in the April issues of MMM, Caravan and Which motorhome. Presumably that means they will not be included with copies bought off the shelf then.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Their web site says there will be free pairs of tickets for subscribers in the April issues of MMM, Caravan and Which motorhome. Presumably that means they will not be included with copies bought off the shelf then.
No and they were only free to subscribers last year as well.

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back