LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
How much time are you allowed on a Passport before they let you into Europe.. ???

I hate November & December..

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm sure I've read minimum 6 months but not sure if that's Europe or somewhere else.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
More context is required I think. Brittany ferries allowed me to travel with a passport that had less than 3 months to run. But an airline would not have accepted that, they need 6 months left to run.
I think it depends on the carrier and the home nation of the holder.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Thanks............ Our`s run out in June 2015..

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
chin up Mo,next year to look forward to(y):cool:
Brian & Jo

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Mo, the following is taken from the Guardians web site.

So, should we be concerned about our passport's remaining lifespan?

The advice on the Foreign and Commonwealth office website is brief. On the page giving advice on travel to Cyprus (which easyJet's employee would have been wise to check), it says: "For stays of up to three months your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay; you do not need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this."

A spokesperson for the European Commission adds further clarification: "As an EU citizen, you should always be able to cross the border with a valid national identity card or passport. It does not need to have validity of at least another three months. If the travel document is valid, you are in the clear."

But what if your passport is due to expire the very next day? The European Commission says: "Even in the extreme example mentioned, of expiry the very next day, you could still use your national ID card (where issued) to travel back." In the case of countries, such as the UK, that don't have ID cards, you would have to contact your nearest embassy for a new or temporary passport. Naturally, this is not a good idea and you should plan ahead.

Outside the EU, things can get a little more tricky. Some countries do, indeed, insist on travellers having a minimum of three or six months left on their passport.

Countries that require UK passport holders to have six months of validity left on their passport from the date of entry into the country include Brazil, Ecuador, Turkey, Tunisia and Israel.

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I believe you still need 6 months to cover the time one of you could possibly be hospitalised?

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
A few years ago Lin turned up at Dinard airport for a trip back to the UK and at the check in desk realised that her passport had run out.
The girl on the desk contacted the UK immigration and said they'd let her in but she would need to get it renewed before she could return to France.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A friends new passport application has so far taken 2 weeks with no news, I think 3 weeks is the norm.
You can apply with up to 9 months left on a passport which they will transfer to the new passport. Renewals have come down to £72 ish.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
You could have one week left on it and can travel right up to the day it expires midnight on date of expiry.
I have actually done that coming back from Holland I had two passport's at the time one was away for visa reasons and the only one I had only had two weeks left on it.
had to go to a rig for seven days that ran in to ten days then got held over with fog and bad weather left Amsterdam to arrive at Humberside.
at I think 10pm passport run out at midnight very close.
where it says date of expiry that the last day you can travel on it in the EU
anyway

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
A few years ago Lin turned up at Dinard airport for a trip back to the UK and at the check in desk realised that her passport had run out.
The girl on the desk contacted the UK immigration and said they'd let her in but she would need to get it renewed before she could return to France.
I have known of that a few times on return journey's to the uk with some of the guys I have worked with.
bill

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
There is no requirement for anyone who is a British citizen, or has the right to permanent abode, to be holding a valid passport. You only need to be able to prove that you are a British citizen & an out -of -date passport does that. Anyone born before 1st January 1983 has the entitlement without proving . Anyone after that date has to prove citizenship/right of abode.
The UK is the only country that requires a you to have a passport that is 'en vigor' to LEAVE the country but doesn't require a citizen to have one to get back in !

" "A person who is a British citizen is not subject to immigration control and is free to enter or leave the United Kingdom without restriction" (passport office) But in reality even though your expired passport will result in you being admitted at the uk entry point (you are a UK citizen) you may well get a jobs worth who is unaware of the law".

Unfortunately the above,although from Gov; isn't true as they won't let you leave !

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Mo, A couple of years ago I turned up at dover DFDS then Norfolkline to be told that I had only 14 days left on passport for a 3 week hol , decided to cut short hol to the 14 days only to be told , when we got back to dunkirk that they more than likely that I would have had no problem as they could see that it was a mistake. but I was'nt taking the chance

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Thanks............ Our`s run out in June 2015..

MO if you have trouble, meet me at night at Calais, small group of visitors to France have found some access to vehicles and have ended back in UK. On arrival you can make a fresh start to life if you wish. No strings attached this is not a scam trust me. :mask:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back