Beware Specsavers at 70 (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I am renewing my licence at 70 , going through the medical etc to maintain grandfathers rights on C1+E.
I posted all registered to DVLA on 8th August. Following chasing DVLA after two months they informed me that they had contacted Specsavers to arrange a field vision test, I had heard nothing so contacted Specsavers who finally gave me an appointment on 10th November. The test was fine so now waiting for licence :lipssealed:
I today contacted DVLA who said we haven't had eye test result from Specsavers :nerd::swear:
Contacted Specsavers Dedicated Medical Dept , yes we have the results , they are in a pile to be dealt with, A BLOODY PILE I ASK YOU :mad:
We will send them to DVLA today or tomorrow :mad:
What a lousy crap service :mad:

Took car in for service today, don't forget your courtesy car sir, you are kidding I cannot produce a licence so it's shanks pony and the bus pass.

Are they taking the p#ss or what, Almost four months to renew a licence, what a joke !

Under section 18, I can still drive but cannot hire etc. What a pain :think:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I am renewing my licence at 70 , going through the medical etc to maintain grandfathers rights on C1+E.
I posted all registered to DVLA on 8th August. Following chasing DVLA after two months they informed me that they had contacted Specsavers to arrange a field vision test, I had heard nothing so contacted Specsavers who finally gave me an appointment on 10th November. The test was fine so now waiting for licence :lipssealed:
I today contacted DVLA who said we haven't had eye test result from Specsavers :nerd::swear:
Contacted Specsavers Dedicated Medical Dept , yes we have the results , they are in a pile to be dealt with, A BLOODY PILE I ASK YOU :mad:

Took car in for service today, don't forget your courtesy car sir, you are kidding I cannot produce a licence so it's shanks pony and the bus pass.

Are they taking the p#ss or what, Almost four months to renew a licence, what a joke !

Try these people. (y)(y)(y)(y)

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Fatus Chanceus. :) (That's Latin). (y)
If you are a vat registered business it is worth doing. You may not get the money but you can reclaim the vat & leave the Vat man to make there lives a misery as non-payers.
The aggravation it causes them makes up for what they've caused you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Specsavers are crap.

I have worn contact lenses since the age of 16.

I am shortsighted and need glasses to drive.
I went to Specsavers about 5 years ago and they checked my eyes for tear levels. (Dry eye syndrome)
They said they could not prescribe contact lenses as I have dry eye syndrome.

Wore flippin glasses on the end of my nose for 2 years.

Then I went to local independent optician who checked my eyes got me some special lenses(Extra £10, retains moisture)
And I have worn them no problem since.

Always try independent optician instead of Specsavers or boots opticians.
I did and can now wear lenses again. I am really happy again.:)

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I am a happy spec savers customer, had to have a retest at boots,wrong lens,something,"Optic" (Now THERE is a place you have to go booted and suited) in the centre of Derby,the reading glasses provided,meant that i had to hold whatever..(NOT GRANDSON!!! whatever) within an inch and a half distance of my normal reading distance otherwise the printed word went "$^%%&&**($£"". Spec savers have enabled me to function properly,sight wise again ,not to mention the Retinopathy ? whatsit,as i am borderline diabete 2 thingy.
Chin up,you can always go somewhere else next time,well better to avoid the two above LOL,stay well,stay lucky.
Tea Bag

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Must say always been very happy with Spec sitters......er....spac slitters.......Where are those glasses...Oh, I'm wearing them......:)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Took them 2 years to sort mine but I do have a medical condition which they needed to investigate

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009

When you got or downloaded the Medical Forms there should have been one for the optician.You could have arranged your own eye test,optician fills in form just like Dr and gives it back to you. You send whole lot back to DVLA. I've done this 3 times now,and it's never taken more than 2 weeks (y)

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Could try an email head honcho

Email dougp@uk.specsavers.com

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

I opted for Specsavers as I have had no problem with them until now with their dedicated DVLA dept but it seems they cannot cope with the volume of DVLA eye tests.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Having run optician shops for a living I can say that if you want a good optician practice you use an independent. If you want to see the same optometrist each year use an independent. If you have a complex eye condition use an independent. If you want cheapo glasses go to spec savers but don't be surprised at the service.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've used budget opticians in the past but now use an independent. The ones I use are very costly, typically £400+ for a pair of specs but I consider my eyesight the most valuable of my senses so am happy to pay a premium for good service.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Sometimes you see these boxes inside charity shops, where well meaning rich people put their old glasses for poor people in Africa, who cant read The Mail anyway. Just have a root around when the women behind the counter aren't looking, you can soon find a pair that not only work well, but have designer frames thrown in!. (y)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You need glasses to read that bill!! :Eeek:
I need glasses to read my posts here. That bill I now recall was just for the lenses (Zeiss) as I re-used the frames, twice now I've done that but I fear next time I will need new frames as well. (sad face), no, on second thoughts this one: (poor face)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I just paid 25.99...The same (i mean exactly the same) in The high street opticians that did my eye test were over 90 quid.

Contact lenses for me through the same high street optician.. £42 a month. Online, same make and specification 28 quid..

I appreciate that the high street has to pay for the eye test and the premesis etc but those markups are appalling.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I go to Asda these days.

If you are diabetic, pre-diabetic, glucose intolerant, hypoglycaemic, on steroids or cortisol/adrenaline, or ANY damn thing that affects your blood glucose - be very very careful.

Unless your BG has been stable at virtually non-diabetic levels for a few months - it can affect your eyesight A LOT since it changes the shape of your eyes, by affecting how much 'jelly' is in them - so you should NEVER have your eyes tested or spend on new glasses until you've sorted yourself out.

Retinopathy doesn't normally actually affect your eyesight - scar tissue from heavy sessions of lasering could, as could associated conditions - but not retinopathy itself. However if you have it, it demonstrates that your blood glucose has been 'way out' for some time OR that you've suddenly got hold of it, if the latter as long as you keep hold of it - it usually goes away again.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I can't criticize them cos they saved my sight:notworthy2:.
Went in for an eye check and they found that I had developed wet degenerative eye disease. They contacted the Hospital whilst I was there and no sooner had I got home than the hospital phoned and I had an appointment the very next day. I have had since then 3 injections into my left eye each a couple of weeks apart. My next hospital visit is scheduled for this mid December

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Errrrr... No.. if you want cheapo glasses get an eye test on special frrom whoever is offering the cheapest no catch service, take your prescription and buy online

The independant optician will have more time for a qualified dispensing optician to ensure that you choose the correct frame, lenses and are measured up properly.

Cheapest is not no catch, cheaper lenses, frames and service.
Its no use crying after you have gone blind!

Most large chains use locum optom cover as it means they don't need to employ optometrists. They get what they are given on the day and rather than miss a days testing will take anyone. I worked in optics for over 10 years and believe me there are some optometrists I wouldn't allow to test in my practice. These same optometrists are regularly doing locum work. I am not saying that the many locum optometrists are below standard, as many good optometrists do locum work.

I value my sight and know the best way to look after it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back