Condensation on the windscreen (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
What is the best way of removing the condensation from the windscreen of the van ?.
We have the concertina blinds that we fasten on to the front windows, and each morning, especially at this time of the year.

I am one of those people that doesn't like to touch the inside of the windscreen

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
2 options, one cheap, one expensive.
Option 1, a chamois leather (or synthetic equivalent)
Option 2, a karcher window vacuum.

Option 2 is what we use, of course I believe that the external blinds stop the condensation in the first place.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
http://www.karcher.co.uk/uk/Products/Home__Garden/Window_Vac.htm

we bought one of these following recommendation on here a few months ago, very good, amazing how much liquid you remove

we have a deep A class windscreen and cant get right to the bottom, but does a great job on 90% of the screen

edit - beaten to it again

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yep another one for the karcher(y) You can get a wider blade though which I think we need to invest in.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yep another one for the karcher(y) You can get a wider blade though which I think we need to invest in.

not so sure it is much better, we have the long blade, when there is a lot of condensation some of it runs down, going to try our as yet unused short blade this weekend, will report back (y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
not so sure it is much better, we have the long blade, when there is a lot of condensation some of it runs down, going to try our as yet unused short blade this weekend, will report back (y)
Ok, will be interested to see how you go, I'm sure Geraldine described a very good technique a few weeks ago but I can't remember which thread it was on:D Being nosey - going somewhere nice? Sorry, hijacking again:whistle:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Karcher - Excellent.

I try to do the bottom nearest the dashboard first while its empty

That's a great tip, why is only that obvious now I see it written down

I have squirted out most of what I have collected on a couple of occasions

Already more careful, but will apply this logic next time

Thanks

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Silver screens / External insulated screens will stop that problem..
Ideal if parked at a campsite or rally...

When using one night stops like on Aires I tend not to use them, simply because if there are any issues or we feel unsafe we can drive away..

Seen lots of people, especially those with large A CLASS vans use a Karcher...

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
What I particularly like about the Karcher over a cloth is that the water is just poured away, down the drain, or outside on the grass, and you don't have the damp cloth to then dry out again if its pouring with rain outside. :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Plus one for the Karcher.........

Works incredibly well. Don't use the silver screens when the van is in the drive but as above, when on a campsite we also put up the silver screen which prevents the condensation in the first place.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We use a PROPER microfibre cloth. ;)
Hard to get in the UK though.. Just about every so called Microfibre cloth product I have seen in and around the UK for the past 5 years or so are just knock offs**
The proper ones are made by a firm in the US of A called Sonny's (Broken Link Removed )

I used to sell them on the web site and still have a pack of them :)

I often grin when I read stuff like 'I bought a pack of the cloths and do not understand what all the fuss is about, they are not very good'
Then you find out they paid less than a fiver for a pack of several of them, and expect the things to be as good as the genuine article !!
The real ones retail at anywhere from £4.00 to £8.50 each..

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
External screens stop all condensation dead. We have a massive A class windscreen and use the external screens from October onwards even on Aires. Hate to think how much damage all that water is causing rather not have it in the first place. Doesn't matter how you mop it up some always gets through.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Broken Link Removed

• Broken Link Removed

Vend Towel MFV24 Microfiber 16inx16in40000972Vending Towel - MFV24 - Blue Microfiber - Size; 16in x 16in - Lint free terry weave towel - Individually wrapped - 24 Per Case
  • TypeVending Items
  • FeatureTowel
  • BrandSONNY'S

Add to Wish List

$22.86

BOX
Broken Link Removed

Nice little earner Jaws............less than a $ each........From your supplier:imoutahere::reel::party2::Eeek::Eeek::mask::mask:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Broken Link Removed

• Broken Link Removed

Vend Towel MFV24 Microfiber 16inx16in40000972Vending Towel - MFV24 - Blue Microfiber - Size; 16in x 16in - Lint free terry weave towel - Individually wrapped - 24 Per Case
  • TypeVending Items
  • FeatureTowel
  • BrandSONNY'S

Add to Wish List

$22.86

BOX
Broken Link Removed

Nice little earner Jaws............less than a $ each........From your supplier:imoutahere::reel::party2::Eeek::Eeek::mask::mask:
They are just the retail ones Bobby.. sold to the shmucks mate
The real ones are not available unless you have a trade account and or use one of their autowash machines :)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Agree with everything said about the Karcher but if you want something cheaper The valet ing towel from http://spautopia.co.uk/exterior-car-care/washing-and-drying is absolutely great at mopping up the outside of my A class Hymer when I wash it. Can usually do the whole van dry with just one wringing out of the towel. Would do the condensation on the windscreen easily.

Mike

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
External screens this time of year if we're staying a few days otherwise we use an extending mop thingy we bought long ago with a micro fibre cloth attachment. Ill see if I can find a name but got to finish tea and cake first. :smirk:

Kelso

Free Member
Sep 19, 2013
Whitchurch, Hants
Funster No
MH
McLouis
Exp
10 years
I had the same problem, but bought a couple of dehumidefier eggs on ebay. Just leave them on the dash. They work for us, and when full, just recharge in the microwave for ten minutes.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We use internal and external blinds and still get condensation in our PVC but reduce this by opening the windows by a few cm to get air flow through the van.

We've started using dehumidifying crystals in the roof void and dry off the inside with a microfibre cloth each morning to reduce water build up.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Can you use the Karcher to dry the car off after washing?

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Yes, we'd like external blinds, they're on our wish list as we intend using the van all year.

Added benefit with the karcher is you get to use it at home when not in the van. Cannot believe how quick window cleaning is (does take a bit of getting the right technique), also use ours after showering - just hoovers up the water and leaves the cubicle dry(y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We use internal and external blinds and still get condensation in our PVC
If referring to the windscreen, may I politely suggest that you only use one set of screens at the same time, preferably external.

We were pitched next to an elderly couple in their Hymer a fortnight ago. They insisted on using both their external screens and a set of stick on internal screens. The condensation on the screen was terrible. We only use our external screens from October through to end of March, and they are the last thing we put away, before starting the engine to move off, otherwise the very dry screen begins to mist up due to the temperature differential.

HTH,

Jock.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
If referring to the windscreen, may I politely suggest that you only use one set of screens at the same time, preferably external.

We were pitched next to an elderly couple in their Hymer a fortnight ago. They insisted on using both their external screens and a set of stick on internal screens. The condensation on the screen was terrible. We only use our external screens from October through to end of March, and they are the last thing we put away, before starting the engine to move off, otherwise the very dry screen begins to mist up due to the temperature differential.

HTH,

Jock.

I'll try that. Thanks for the advice.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, we've bought a Karcher window cleaning vacuum thingy, the no 70 model? Hubby got it from Karcher direct for £50 including delivery with 2 sets of spare blades - its a 'manufacturer return' one with 6 months warranty although you can pay around £4 to get it with a 12 month warranty. It arrived today and hubby was all excited but unfortunately they'd forgot to include the extra blades! (n) I've told him he can't "play" with it in case they send a replacement so want it back!:rolleyes:

We're going to use it at home and in the static caravan too, and will take it away for use in the camper too for when we are wild camping so can't use the external screens. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back