LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
We are expecting our first frost this evening, down to around -2. We've drained the water heater and pipes but I haven't drained the loo cistern yet. How cold does it normally need to be outside before it gets down to freezing / cold enough to cause freeze damage inside a mh?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
0 degrees usually:whistle:
Sarcy, I also would like to know how cold it gets OUTSIDE before it starts to freeze INSIDE, bearing in mind that the van has quite good insulation. I have emptied my boiler, although I could have put the hot water on and it holds the heat for yonks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I wouldn't think -2 will hurt it tonight but I would drain it down as soon as you can. We had a problem with this when we had our caravan.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
The only thing I like about the Whale blown air heating is that it has a frost setting, so I have left it on that. I'm lucky that I can have it on hook up on the drive.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Insulation does not stop the inside of the van from getting as cold as outside.

It just slows the effect.

It is not a question of temperature, but time. If it is 0 degrees outside, your van interior will also become 0 degrees. the only difference insulation makes is the time needed to achieve this temperature balance.

The ONLY way to prevent your van becoming as cold as the ambient temperature is to heat it.

That applies to everything from a VW splitty to a Niesman and Bischoff!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Sarcy, I also would like to know how cold it gets OUTSIDE before it starts to freeze INSIDE, bearing in mind that the van has quite good insulation. I have emptied my boiler, although I could have put the hot water on and it holds the heat for yonks.

I admit - it was sarcy - sorry:p ....couldn't resist!

The question you ask is more complicated than you think, and various laws of thermodynamics and heat retention come in to play - and Brian Cox I aint!

That said - I would guestimate that if the ambient temperature stayed at 0 for any length of time - that would - over time - reduce the interior temp to the same. its the rate at which it drops inside which is the variable, dependant on other factors such as wind chill and how well insulated the van is. I would endeavour to keep it on EHU on the drive where possible and leave a low wattage oil rad or similar on inside, if for no other reason than to keep everything from freezing - not just water in pipes, but moisture in the air and furnishings etc.

.....blimey - almost a sensible answer - moi:eek:

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes

The question you ask is more complicated than you think, and various laws of thermodynamics and heat retention come in to play - and Brian Cox I aint!

That said - I would guestimate that if the ambient temperature stayed at 0 for any length of time - that would - over time - reduce the interior temp to the same. its the rate at which it drops inside which is the variable, dependant on other factors such as wind chill and how well insulated the van is. I would endeavour to keep it on EHU on the drive where possible and leave a low wattage oil rad or similar on inside, if for no other reason than to keep everything from freezing - not just water in pipes, but moisture in the air and furnishings etc.

quit while you're ahead

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014

No drinking today then?

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks so much for this post. Just sent Martin out to drain it all down etc and put the heater on frost setting.

We didn't have one night of frost last year, but I can feel a harsh winter coming, I can feel it in my bones!

Also don't forget Funsters to unscrew that dome filter thing on the boiler (no doubt somebody will come along in a mo and give it the correct name!)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Not worried about things freezing in the van, but put the heating and systems on today as van hasn't been used for a couple of weeks. Must put some water in sometime....

And supplies.....

OP
OP
MattR

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
0 degrees usually:whistle:

Thanks for the informative reply ;)

Adding to this, as water expands by up to 9% as it freezes, I'm working on the basis that it does not have to be 0c before expansion causes damage and guess that any ice could further restrict water expansion, increasing the likelihood of damage.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks so much for this post. Just sent Martin out to drain it all down etc and put the heater on frost setting.

We didn't have one night of frost last year, but I can feel a harsh winter coming, I can feel it in my bones!

Also don't forget Funsters to unscrew that dome filter thing on the boiler (no doubt somebody will come along in a mo and give it the correct name!)
So what's this please? Eek bit worried now - on the caravan we had drain taps we used to open every time but not on this version of the truma combi.
The dealer told us there's an auto dump? But should we be doing something else??

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Insulation does not stop the inside of the van from getting as cold as outside.

It just slows the effect.

It is not a question of temperature, but time. If it is 0 degrees outside, your van interior will also become 0 degrees. the only difference insulation makes is the time needed to achieve this temperature balance.

The ONLY way to prevent your van becoming as cold as the ambient temperature is to heat it.

That applies to everything from a VW splitty to a Niesman and Bischoff!

This is so true. Ours is fully winterised. We have no problems camping out -17 the lowest so far. Never once been cold in the van . Especially with Webasto heating.
BUT we left it in storage a couple of weeks when we had really cold weather. When we went to get her for a trip , a can of coke had exploded in the fridge. It was in the salad box too. It went with such force it made a hole in it!
We always keep the Fridge door open. Also a can had nearly exploded. By that , I mean the bottom had become bowed out instead of in !
It was -10 outside AND -10 inside.:Eeek:

Last edited:

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
images

Serious additional question warning (Sorry to spoil the chatty bits)

We're going to Yorkshire over Christmas, planning to visit places on the way there & back, but won't be able to EHU for a week or so. Should we go by train instead, & leave the MH on EHU at home? (It's all drained down apart from the loo flush tank - should this be emptied?)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the problem is all MHs are so different from each other there is no single answer to a good question like this. The different heating systems, insulation levels and the way the plumbing is routed all makes a big difference.

I can only suggest put a max/min thermometer as close to the cistern as you can and have another one outside it might help to give you some idea of how the temperature inside lags behind changes outside and how turning on the heating changes.

Unfortunately, get it wrong and allowing something to freeze could be an expensive mistake!

An option might be to add some screen washer to the cistern to act as an antifreeze if that is possible. But don't forget the cassette - things in there will freeze as well if you don't add an antifreeze.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Adding to this, as water expands by up to 9% as it freezes, I'm working on the basis that it does not have to be 0c before expansion causes damage and guess that any ice could further restrict water expansion, increasing the likelihood of damage.

The freezing point of water increases with a decrease in the pressure applied to it. Hence the freezing point of water will be less at high altitude and low pressure - so be carefull if you're up a mountain;)

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Hmm... What about in use.

The heat exchanger on a carved cascade 2 is close enough to the outside that I wonder if there's a chance of it freezing even with the van in use.. ours doesn't work on gas only why..but it is full of water (waiting for me to get round to fixing it) last time I looked the predicted overnight temp when we are at the Christmas markets is -2... Should I be worried as we haven't planned to use hookup

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
So what's this please? Eek bit worried now - on the caravan we had drain taps we used to open every time but not on this version of the truma combi.
The dealer told us there's an auto dump? But should we be doing something else??

image.jpg
image.jpg

You may be able to see, there is a small amount of water in the plastic dome. Our dealer told us to unscrew this, wipe the inside and leave it in a prominent place so we don't forget to put it back when we use the van. Unscrew it if we weren't using the van and it's freezing. Hope this helps

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
View attachment 48025 View attachment 48026

You may be able to see, there is a small amount of water in the plastic dome. Our dealer told us to unscrew this, wipe the inside and leave it in a prominent place so we don't forget to put it back when we use the van. Unscrew it if we weren't using the van and it's freezing. Hope this helps
Thanks so much for doing this - I'm just going to have a look - doesn't look familiar

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Ours in behind the fire above the water boiler.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Ours in behind the fire above the water boiler.
Found it thanks - it's in the double floor so easy-ish to get to. It hasn't got a dome thingy but the auto dump hadn't triggered so we've done it manually and just watched the system drain down(y)
Cheers m'dear:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back